Author Topic: Downtown art movie house!  (Read 5089 times)

Bags

Re: Downtown art movie house!
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2004, 12:51:00 pm »
Dandy -- good point.  However, I've seen all the other art movie houses in DC close (without competition) over the last 10 years, and they haven't been replaced, so, hence, I'm looking forward to Landmark.  I'm not sure how to insulate Visions, but to me, the rest have all caved or gone under already.  I think Dupont will always be alright because it's in such a good location for people to pop in.

I saw this with independent bookstores in the 90s -- my dad's profession.  Outside of the largest cities, they're gone.  It's all Borders, B&N, etc.  It's a good point, and I've been conscious of it in the past.  But, alas, I have to admit I'm probably feeding into it these days (though I still shop at Olsson's whenever I can).

mankie

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2004, 01:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bagster:
  bite me

You better fucking be driving a hybrid
Hybrids are gay...so he may very well be.  ;)

mankie

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2004, 01:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by Celeste:

hybrid bike...ha ha...that's good! [/b]
On the subject of bikes (I didn't bring it up so not guilty of topic change...sonick!)

I got my new roadbike yesterday so very excited, especially now my arm is out of the cast...wonder what I can break this time?

Celeste

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2004, 01:05:00 pm »
I thought you hated cyclists...

Dandy01

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2004, 01:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by Random Citizen:
  Hmm...I think Visions needs the competition, though. Maybe they'll clean up those sticky theatre floors better. Honestly, this city will do just fine with both theatres, especially since Visions offers special events that the Landmark may not choose to do (i.e. special midnight movies, etc.).

So much in DC is "all or nothing." Why not have two arthouse movie theatres?

2 arthouse movie theaters in the city is completely fine but there are several more right outside its borders, such as the Bethesda Landmark. It was noted that patronage had already dropped 25% after this particular opening, along with other new theater openings in town.  But if they can survive on their uniqueness, more power to them.

skonster

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2004, 01:06:00 pm »
Dupont should be ok, but Janus was in a similar position until it closed a couple of years ago (granted the screening rooms were hilariously bad - but they did show good stuff; it's last week they showed the rereleased 'last waltz'), and I really don't see inner circle being open much longer.  

I think the Post article about the new theater mentioned that it was going to focus on 'edgier' stuff than the Bethesda one and was planning on starting up midnight movies, eventually, as well.  I do think the Citypaper article was pretty good; I worry that this Landmark could push visions under and then flip over to just playing the more mainstream 'independent' stuff.  I haven't found much need to go up to Bethesda because it's usually not playing anything I can't find at Dupont or Inner Circle.  

The movie-watching scenes in Chicago and then Toronto spoiled me, and one of my favorit pastimes is to complain about the movie scene here, so I do hope it works out and all.

mankie

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2004, 01:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
 [QB]    Basically, DC is a small enough city that you needn't be driving around a car within, if your're a DC resident (except unless you have heavy grocery bags or something like that).

If you are a DC resident driving somewhere three metro stops away, you're a fucking lazy slug.

I would love that lifestyle...it's what I grew up with. I really miss walking the dog to the corner shop in the morning for a paper...and choccie bar of course, and "popping out" to the supermarket to get something for dinner, or nipping out to the pub for an hour in the evening. Just the simple things like that...unfortunately I can't justify paying the same to live in a cardboard box in DC as I did for a nice sized house in the burbs, so a car it is for me..until next year of course.

Bags

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2004, 01:11:00 pm »
But you know, Janus and Inner Circle are/were AWFUL theaters.  I know a lot of people who would not go to the Janus no matter what.  I ended up going a lot, but it's near my neighborhood.

As for Visions, that place is really quirky and tends to show *super* offbeat stuff.  I'm not sure how the competition will really pan out...

mankie

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2004, 01:14:00 pm »
  I thought you hated cyclists...
Oh not at all, just those messengers who think they own the roads and are above the law evidently...and the militant cyclists who think they are superior to cars etc....I think Eddie or someone and myself had a to-do one time, and he assumed the same thing.

In fact I was in a bike shop on Tuesday and they gave me a flyer about a movement to close Rock Creek Parkway off to cars 7 days a week instead of just weekends...I told them they're fucking nuts. And after a commute like today, they are!

Celeste

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2004, 01:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:
 I would love that lifestyle...it's what I grew up with. I really miss walking the dog to the corner shop in the morning for a paper...and choccie bar of course, and "popping out" to the supermarket to get something for dinner, or nipping out to the pub for an hour in the evening. Just the simple things like that...unfortunately I can't justify paying the same to live in a cardboard box in DC as I did for a nice sized house in the burbs, so a car it is for me..until next year of course.
that's how I feel, too...

so, what's happening next year?

mankie

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2004, 01:43:00 pm »

that's how I feel, too...

so, what's happening next year? [/b]
The summer of 05 we're getting the hell out of Dodge and moving back to Ireland.

Random Citizen

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2004, 02:17:00 pm »
Yeah, but even though I live in Takoma Park, it's still a lot more convenient for me to come into DC than over to Bethesda. So the location/metro accessibility wins out. I have a feeling there are a lot of people who will take advantage of that as well.

If they can't survive on their own uniqueness, then the market has spoken. That said, the E Str. theatre is just opening today. Maybe in another 6 months, it will be easier to see which business is affected (if any)...it's rather too soon to speculate.

Originally posted by Dandy01:
 2 arthouse movie theaters in the city is completely fine but there are several more right outside its borders, such as the Bethesda Landmark. It was noted that patronage had already dropped 25% after this particular opening, along with other new theater openings in town.  But if they can survive on their uniqueness, more power to them. [/QB]

ggw

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2004, 02:20:00 pm »
Rhett drives a Saturn.

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2004, 02:25:00 pm »
1995, bluish-green. An SL-2, not an SL-1. Gotta have that extra power boost.

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Rhett drives a Saturn.

ggw

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2004, 02:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  1995, bluish-green. An SL-2, not an SL-1. Gotta have that extra power boost.

And lower fuel-economy -- fucking polluter.