Author Topic: Downtown art movie house!  (Read 5090 times)

Bags

Downtown art movie house!
« on: January 08, 2004, 05:54:00 pm »
I almost can't believe my eyes.  Will be perfect for after work, or before or after a meal at Zaytinya.  - bags

Landmark's E Street Cinema
 555 11th St. NW, Washington,  DC   20004
 Phone: 202-783-9494

Landmark Theatres, which owns and operates the popular art house cinema in downtown Bethesda, opens its second Washingon area location Jan. 9. Like all of Landmark's 57 locations throughout North America, the new theater will specialize in first-run independent and foreign films, documentaries and classics. The eight-screen movie house, located one block from the Metro Center station, features digital sound, stadium-seating in some of its auditoriums and free parking inside the building's garage. For showtime information, call 202-452-7672.

kurosawa-b/w

Re: Downtown art movie house!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2004, 06:35:00 pm »
Yeah, I went there last night for a special tour and screening. It is a really nice place! And the upcoming films all look superb. They distributed a 4 page booklet of the new releases for the Spring, and I want to see all but one. Lots of intriguing independent, art house, and documentary films. And not only is it metro accessible, but they also validate parking (3 hours free). I highly recommend checking it out!

And as a special treat, Bruce Campbell will be at all evening screenings of Bubba Hotep tomorrow night (1/9). I can't go, but I know a lot of Army of Darkness fans who are very excited.  ;)

Bags

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2004, 06:59:00 pm »
That free parking deal is unreal.  You even have to pay $1 at Ballston!  Hot damn, I'm excited.  More reason to hop to and get a condo down there!!  (Though I think closer to the Black Cat will be enticing...)

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2004, 07:30:00 pm »
More reason to take the metro and stop fucking polluting the enviroment by driving to places when you can metro (or walk).

Originally posted by Bagster:
  That free parking deal is unreal.  You even have to pay $1 at Ballston!  Hot damn, I'm excited.  More reason to hop to and get a condo down there!!  (Though I think closer to the Black Cat will be enticing...)

Bags

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2004, 07:33:00 pm »
bite me

You better fucking be driving a hybrid

lily1

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2004, 11:21:00 pm »
i'm going to check it out on saturday as i'm hoping to see the battle of algiers. boy wants to go see bruce campbell tommorow night, which i think i'll pass on.

how excited am i though about this! so thrilled. 3 metro stops from the house of lily and no more having to truck to shirlington or bethesda for a good film. visions is nice, but it doesn't always have something i'd like to see.

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2004, 11:37:00 pm »
Yeah, I'm really excited! The Metro is so convenient because I can take the Orange line straight over. Here's the link to the showtimes. E Street should be on there as of tomorrow.

Ikarus

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2004, 04:03:00 am »
two words: bubba ho-tep.  two more words:  hells yeah.

redsock

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2004, 11:02:00 am »
Originally posted by Ikarus:
  two words: bubba ho-tep.  two more words:  hells yeah.
I already bought my tickets. Been waiting for this for weeks.

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2004, 11:36:00 am »
Yes, I have a hybrid, a hybrid bike. After Metro and walking, that's the third option for traversing the city.

Basically, DC is a small enough city that you needn't be driving around a car within, if your're a DC resident (except unless you have heavy grocery bags or something like that).

If you are a DC resident driving somewhere three metro stops away, you're a fucking lazy slug.

Originally posted by Bagster:
  bite me

You better fucking be driving a hybrid

Celeste

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2004, 11:38:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
   Basically, DC is a small enough city that you needn't be driving around a car within, if your're a DC resident (except unless you have heavy grocery bags or something like that
I agree...and heavy groceries don't stop me, either...

hybrid bike...ha ha...that's good!

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2004, 12:01:00 pm »
Watch it Celeste, someone will call you my little "Yes Girl".

Originally posted by Celeste:

Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
   Basically, DC is a small enough city that you needn't be driving around a car within, if your're a DC resident (except unless you have heavy grocery bags or something like that
I agree...and heavy groceries don't stop me, either...

hybrid bike...ha ha...that's good! [/b]

Dandy01

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2004, 12:23:00 pm »
I have mixed feelings about this new location for Landmark; on the one hand, it's great in terms of choices and convenience, but on the other, it'll cut even further into the patronage for already-existing smaller art houses such as Visions.  An article in the City Paper brought this to my attention and made me think twice about where I should see my films.  There was also a mention about Landmark being a big bully and phoning distributors to get films contracted to other theatres in the area.  I guess having been a loyal Visions goer, I'm concerned about their future.

Random Citizen

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2004, 12:33:00 pm »
Hmm...I think Visions needs the competition, though. Maybe they'll clean up those sticky theatre floors better. Honestly, this city will do just fine with both theatres, especially since Visions offers special events that the Landmark may not choose to do (i.e. special midnight movies, etc.).

So much in DC is "all or nothing." Why not have two arthouse movie theatres?

Originally posted by Dandy01:
  I have mixed feelings about this new location for Landmark; on the one hand, it's great in terms of choices and convenience, but on the other, it'll cut even further into the patronage for already-existing smaller art houses such as Visions.  An article in the City Paper brought this to my attention and made me think twice about where I should see my films.  There was also a mention about Landmark being a big bully and phoning distributors to get films contracted to other theatres in the area.  I guess having been a loyal Visions goer, I'm concerned about their future.

lily1

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2004, 12:36:00 pm »
interesting dandy. quite often, the location in bethesda and visions did not offer the same films, i wonder how the e street location will handle it.

though i still think visions handles more adventurous films and has other outlets--local filmmaker nights, the sing along sundays, viewing of classic films. and they take more risks--like the french erotica film they showed in november and having movie/director nights like when they showed amandla. so it'll be interesting to see if visions business is greatly affected.