Author Topic: Arctic Monkeys  (Read 2106 times)

Cock Van Der Palm

Arctic Monkeys
« on: May 20, 2011, 09:51:24 pm »
Sat this one out.  How were they?

DotTheEyes

Re: Arctic Monkeys
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 12:24:49 am »
I thought they were great.  Definitely a more crowd-pleasing show than their December 2009 performance.  20 songs, lots of fan favorites (including "Teddy Picker" and "When the Sun Goes Down"), good vibes all around.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 09:46:18 am »
On Letterman next Thursday night. Can't wait for Dave's reaction when he says the new album title.
😐 🎶

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 07:14:59 pm »
(_|_)

DotTheEyes

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 12:02:00 am »
Review seems a bit unfair to me.  All right, yes, they did a few more hits this time than last, and the vibe in the room was a lot less tense, but they still only did four tracks from the first album--no "Fake Tales of San Francisco," no "Mardy Bum," no "From the Ritz to the Rubble," no "A Certain Romance."  And they did six songs from an upcoming album, opening with one never before played live.  So right there the whole imagined 'some seedy talent manager constructing the setlist for them in a shadowy back-room' scenario is undermined.

Opinions are nice and all, but I feel a slightly more populist show is grumpily being portrayed as 90 minutes of mainstream-pandering, soulless crap.  Very false, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 12:05:05 am by DotTheEyes »

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 09:26:00 am »
I thought they were great.  Definitely a more crowd-pleasing show than their December 2009 performance.  20 songs, lots of fan favorites (including "Teddy Picker" and "When the Sun Goes Down"), good vibes all around.
I thought their "Humbug" tour was the best show I'd seen from them. Really hard, finally did some fun live stuff with their songs instead of playing straight off the album for an hour. Bummed I missed them this time, but I've seen them 3 times. Bummer they didn't play stuff off their first album, but that was to be expected I guess.
‼‼?‼‼

bearman🐻

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 11:00:23 am »
I've seen the Arctic Monkeys a few times now (missed this show) and I'm glad I've stopped seeing them. They really have zero presence at all. Their songs are great and I enjoy their music, but seeing them live was like watching a bunch of disengaged, annoyed and surly mop-tops who really couldn't be bothered to show up. Kind of like Oasis, but without the looming threat of a fight. At least Liam would stare you down directly. AM are not the Jesus and Mary Chain. Their audience wants to engage and not stare at a dimly-lit stage shrouded in fog. Their shows could be so much more fun than they actually are. And I think that's what the WLDC writer was attempting to convey.

azaghal1981

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 12:07:42 pm »
Speaking of the Jesus and Mary Chain, whatever happened to that reunion? Is it over? That new song showed a little promise and the show I caught (Coachella) was surprisingly fantastic.
احمد

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 02:01:54 pm »
I've seen the Arctic Monkeys a few times now (missed this show) and I'm glad I've stopped seeing them. They really have zero presence at all. Their songs are great and I enjoy their music, but seeing them live was like watching a bunch of disengaged, annoyed and surly mop-tops who really couldn't be bothered to show up. Kind of like Oasis, but without the looming threat of a fight. At least Liam would stare you down directly. AM are not the Jesus and Mary Chain. Their audience wants to engage and not stare at a dimly-lit stage shrouded in fog. Their shows could be so much more fun than they actually are. And I think that's what the WLDC writer was attempting to convey.
I think that's why I liked their stop at the club for "Humbug". They were actually rocking out hahaha instead of just playing their music straight off the album and looking around, kind of bored. That's why I didn't jump on tickets like I had in years passed. Looking forward to the album though.
‼‼?‼‼