Author Topic: Clothes recycling bins?  (Read 3276 times)

poorlulu

Clothes recycling bins?
« on: March 14, 2004, 12:14:00 pm »
Anyone know where I can drop off all my old clothes? I crave the impersonal touch so can anyone remember where there is a clothes recycling bin near Adams Morgan?

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
Re: Clothes recycling bins?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 12:48:00 pm »
there used to, and still may be, one at the corner of 18th and California near that automated store... and I know for certain there's one on 17th Street between O and Mass.

http://www.alex.to/doomlink
_\|/_

Bags

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2004, 03:44:00 pm »
lulu, that's so nice -- you  want to help clothe all those struggling indie kids.  It can be tough to look cool when you're just starting out.  Are you passing on those oakley glasses?

Joking aside, I'm not sure; we have a bin here in my apt. building....

Random Citizen

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2004, 04:29:00 pm »
You may want to give Planet Aid a call. They have boxes all over the area. I know there's one in Logan Circle, but there's probably one much closer to you than that.

Samantha

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2004, 07:19:00 pm »
I'm still holding on to the dream that I might fit into my size zero's one day...and slowly my mother is tossing my tiny jeans to charity

jkeisenh

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 10:04:00 am »
Originally posted by Random Citizen:
  You may want to give Planet Aid a call. They have boxes all over the area. I know there's one in Logan Circle, but there's probably one much closer to you than that.
You know, I wouldn't recommend that.  (Out comes my soapbox again.)

Planet Aid, and many of those other drop-boxes are hardly charities.  They take your clothes and export them to foreign countries and sell them as used.  They don't really help people.  In fact, due to the increased trade in used goods, it's actually killed manufacturing and new goods markets in developing nations.  Not good.

Try these instead:
 House of Ruth
 Center for Creative Non-Violence
 The Mission on 14th, South of the Black Cat
 Or call your neighborhood church.

If you're going to donate, might as well do it to a useful cause!

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2004, 10:16:00 am »
What's wrong with killing manufacturing at the expense of bartering used items? Would you rather just keep filling landfills with things that are still useful and creating more and more pointless product?

Originally posted by chimblysweep:

Originally posted by Random Citizen:
You know, I wouldn't recommend that.  (Out comes my soapbox again.)

Planet Aid, and many of those other drop-boxes are hardly charities.  They take your clothes and export them to foreign countries and sell them as used.  They don't really help people.  In fact, due to the increased trade in used goods, it's actually killed manufacturing and new goods markets in developing nations.  Not good.

Try these instead:
 House of Ruth
 Center for Creative Non-Violence
 The Mission on 14th, South of the Black Cat
 Or call your neighborhood church.

If you're going to donate, might as well do it to a useful cause! [/b]

jkeisenh

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2004, 10:26:00 am »
Originally posted by bunnyballs:
  What's wrong with killing manufacturing at the expense of bartering used items? Would you rather just keep filling landfills with things that are still useful and creating more and more pointless product?

You're right, there is a "limited resources" issue.  But there's the issue of sustainable commerce, and these Planet Aid things are far from it.  I have a friend who wrote a PhD thesis on the world trade in used clothing, and it's really a bleak picture.  When there are people who need the used stuff here in the US, why are we sending it abroad??

ggw

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2004, 10:36:00 am »
Originally posted by chimblysweep:
 You're right, there is a "limited resources" issue.  But there's the issue of sustainable commerce, and these Planet Aid things are far from it.  I have a friend who wrote a PhD thesis on the world trade in used clothing, and it's really a bleak picture.  When there are people who need the used stuff here in the US, why are we sending it abroad??
Is there really a shortage of used clothes in the US?

I tried to give some clothes to the Salvation Army store on H St, NE.  They would only take two bags worth.

Random Citizen

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2004, 10:51:00 am »
I don't think there's a shortage on used clothing in the U.S. per se, just that a lot of organizations in the U.S. seem to have more requirements on the types of clothing they'll accept. While other countries may just look for any clothing available.

markie

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2004, 11:17:00 am »
Alright, if no one comes up with an answer they are going down the trash shoot. It must be better to recycle them, even just for rags, than that, right?

lily1

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2004, 11:17:00 am »
the used clothing business is very big in africa. clothing gets shipped over there (probably under the guise of "charity") and then sold in the open air markets.

hence, you see malnourished children wearing nike t shirts and levis jeans.

http://www.itvs.org/pressroom/pressRelease.htm?pressId=216

Celeste

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2004, 11:23:00 am »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
 I tried to give some clothes to the Salvation Army store on H St, NE.  They would only take two bags worth.
maybe it's your sense of fashion that wasn't quite right for them?

markie

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2004, 11:24:00 am »
Originally posted by Celestial Balls:

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
maybe it's your sense of fashion that wasn't quite right for them? [/b]
Yeah, the homeless guys hate those starched Hickey Freeman collars.

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2004, 11:34:00 am »
Maybe Bags could take the rags?

Or I wonder how they would look on Sonick or Guiny?

Originally posted by mark e smith:
  Alright, if no one comes up with an answer they are going down the trash shoot. It must be better to recycle them, even just for rags, than that, right?