Author Topic: Cars?  (Read 3425 times)

Cock Van Der Palm

Cars?
« on: May 24, 2011, 09:47:16 am »
Pretty much what I expected.  Short set list and no stage presence.  This is consistent with their shows back in the 70's/80's, so no surprise there.  That being said I still enjoyed it.  They do however miss Ben Orr.  One other thing, Ric Ocasek doesn't look like he has aged at all.

hemisphire

Re: Cars?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 10:25:55 am »
A very enthusiastic crowd, and the band seemed happy with that.  I can't really complain about the setlist, heard most of what I wanted:
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-cars/2011/930-club-washington-dc-43d3cf5b.html

hutch

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 10:58:48 am »
heard the club was too hot...

eros

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 11:44:09 am »
The band sounded great, though they could've thrown a few more hits in there.  Let's not kid ourselves that this was a purely nostalgia show.

The crowd was enthusiastic, but much ruder than usual.  No one giving an inch to let anyone move to and from bar/bathroom.  I was literally pushed with two hands by a woman who seemed to be offended that i stood at the bar to settle my tab.  I guess that's what you get on shows like this.  Amateur night.

Did anyone see the world's biggest Cars fan doing his jazzercise routine during the whole show?  Right about in the center of the floor.
ʎɐʍou

bellenseb

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 12:05:31 pm »
No "Magic"?  :o

James Ford

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 12:09:01 pm »
No Candy-O? Glad I didn't go-O.

hemisphire

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 12:11:27 pm »
heard the club was too hot...

The AC was definitely struggling at times.  Still cooler than outside.

azaghal1981

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 01:09:53 pm »
Hahaha this sounds much like the Jeff Beck, Imelda May show a couple months ago. I had fun angering those douchebags.

The crowd was enthusiastic, but much ruder than usual.  No one giving an inch to let anyone move to and from bar/bathroom.  I was literally pushed with two hands by a woman who seemed to be offended that i stood at the bar to settle my tab.  I guess that's what you get on shows like this.  Amateur night.
احمد

Paul Styrene

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 01:28:10 pm »
What jeffml said; though I am not that forgiving and had hoped that The Cars would have had a bit more fun with their songs.  In fact, they did engage in an extended jam on their last song, so why hit the play button the rest of the night?  Of course, I hated their shows in the 80's so I should have known better.

And, yes, eros.  We were standing next to Mr. Jazzercise.  Woo! Woo!

savoytruffle

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 02:30:48 pm »
I agree with all of the above, also didn't you think it was super quiet, especially at the start?  Made it hard to get into it.

And 6 songs from the new album seemed a bit much.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 03:18:33 pm »
Huge Cars fan here. Didn't go last night but I've been checking out the bootlegs from earlier show. Same setlists as previously. They sound like a band that hasn't played together in 25 years. Lots of missed notes and the drumming has been subpar. I'm sure the second time around, they'll sound much better.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 03:19:33 pm »

Not surprised in the least. That's what happens when you have 1100 people paying around $60 each to see club shows.

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 04:02:32 pm »
Luckily my tix were free (thanks WTMD) so less disappointment in the show on my end.  We got their as show began and the lower level was jam packed.  I have never seen it this crowded and as someone said earlier, it was impossible to move into or out of crowd.  eventually went upstairs where there was more room, more air, and better sound.

Not surprised in the least. That's what happens when you have 1100 people paying around $60 each to see club shows.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 10:27:07 pm »
I thought they sounded fine, other than it being a little quiet at first.  A little heavy on the new stuff, but whatever.  The club was definitely super-crowded.  I've seen it worse, but not often.  I thought the band looked like they were having fun - moreso than I expected.  By the end of the night they were tearing it up.  I wasn't disappointed at all.  Great fun.

We call the jazzercize guy "the whooping guy."  He's at just about every retro-show, dressed exactly the same, jumping around like crazy and screaming "whoop! whoop! whoop!"  throughout the evening.  I pointed him out to bearman at the Echo show, although he was a little more reserved that night.

James Ford

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 07:47:08 am »
We call him fatskippy. You should see him at a Legwarmers show.

We call the jazzercize guy "the whooping guy."  He's at just about every retro-show, dressed exactly the same, jumping around like crazy and screaming "whoop! whoop! whoop!"  throughout the evening.  I pointed him out to bearman at the Echo show, although he was a little more reserved that night.