Author Topic: Someone please explain this to me  (Read 7000 times)

Thousand Made-Up Loves

Someone please explain this to me
« on: June 11, 2011, 03:27:50 pm »
So Clap Your Hands Say Yeah tickets are on sale online via Ticketfly...but not at the 9:30 box office.

So I go to the box office yesterday after work and the always-cordial gentleman behind the glass tells me that they aren't available at the box office because they are only on sale to fan club members and some other bullshit. That made no sense, so I asked him again. He told me the same thing and threw in some bullshit about "we announce our shows on Thursdays......" Blah blah blah.

So if the tickets are only on sale to fan club members, why isn't there a password for the tickets? I am assuming they are doing a "soft sale" of the tickets right now? So if I wanna bend over and pay the fees, I can have the tickets, but I can't buy them at the window?

Sounds stupid.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 06:10:45 pm by Shadrach »

azaghal1981

Re: Someone please explain this to me
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 04:01:37 pm »
There have been instances where the artists were perplexed by this system as well. This Superchunk thread from last year comes to mind.

احمد

Shadrach

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 06:10:10 pm »
This is really not that confusing. Some bands ask that we make tickets available as a link they can post on their site in order to get tickets to their fans before we put the show up in ads and on the 9:30 site. Until we publicly announce a show (i.e. eBlast and website) tickets are only available online. This policy has been in place for years, it's nothing new.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 11:01:32 am »
This is really not that confusing. Some bands ask that we make tickets available as a link they can post on their site in order to get tickets to their fans before we put the show up in ads and on the 9:30 site. Until we publicly announce a show (i.e. eBlast and website) tickets are only available online. This policy has been in place for years, it's nothing new.

So why won't you make tickets available at the box office then? Just admit you guys want to collect the fees.

serpent boy

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 11:30:14 am »
I like the system. I rarely have a hard time getting tickets to a show I want as long as I'm informed in the Just Announced thread. The convenience fee isn't usually THAT bad and the tickets are shipped to me. It beats the mad rush to a 10 a.m. Friday sale on Ticketmaster.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 12:23:41 pm »
I don't think the venue gets those fees.  The fees are how the ticket vendor makes money, right?  I believe the club gets the same amount per ticket no matter where they are sold.  In fact if my line of thought is correct, they make MORE by selling at the box office if you count in the $1.  Bottom line is this, if you want to go, pay the full price of the ticketing.  If not, don't.
FUKIT

ggw

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 01:17:20 pm »
I couldn't say how Ticket Fly works, but Ticketmaster gives a percentage of the service fee to the venue/promoter.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 03:21:08 am »
I couldn't say how Ticket Fly works, but Ticketmaster gives a percentage of the service fee to the venue/promoter.

I never knew that.  I am still learning, I must still be alive after all!
FUKIT

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 02:03:45 pm »
I don't understand how they can charge a 'convenience fee' for ordering online when they don't give you the option of being 'inconvenienced' by going to the box office to buy tickets?

walkonby

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 02:27:32 pm »
i don't understand how everybody wants everything for free now. 

"i want you to provide me with a service . . . but don't charge me for it."

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 02:30:04 pm »
"i want you to provide me with a service . . . but don't charge me for it."

We are paying for it either way. Do I have to spell it for you?

walkonby

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 02:32:04 pm »
ooh, ooh . . . i like spelling.  do you win a prize for guessing correct?

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 02:32:38 pm »
I can't believe that this board continues to have this conversation, again and again again.

Yes, these companies charge you and screw you six ways til sunday.  Because they can.

walkonby

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 02:34:22 pm »
people that bitch about service charges, should walk into any fast food place and say

"you're overcharging me for this soda, because you can . . . lower the price right now."

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 03:23:32 pm »
people that bitch about service charges, should walk into any fast food place and say

"you're overcharging me for this soda, because you can . . . lower the price right now."

I don't go to fast food places but I'm sure they don't charge you extra for the convenience of using the drive thru...................or do they?

They don't charge extra at the hardware store for the convenience of using the self check-out.