Author Topic: Someone please explain this to me  (Read 7014 times)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Re: Someone please explain this to me
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 04:01:32 pm »
Who cares what they call the stupid charges.  They charge it.  We pay it.  They keep it.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 04:12:57 pm »
Who cares what they call the stupid charges.  They charge it.  We pay it.  They keep it.

eggsfuckinzactly!!!!

Actually, I used to go to the 930 for a night out, I would be in the club 3-4 nights every week. I didn't really care who was playing. I just love live music. When the bullshit charges got out of hand I just went to shows I really wanted to see, so my 930 visits dropped by at least 65%.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 07:08:27 pm »
if you were going to the club that often, why didn't you buy at the box office?  no fees.  your 65% argument doesn't hold up... if you love music that much, you don't let a few dollars in fees stop you - you find a way to get around those fees  (ex: buy directly from box office).

I don't go to fast food places but I'm sure they don't charge you extra for the convenience of using the drive thru...................or do they?

They don't charge extra at the hardware store for the convenience of using the self check-out.

unfortunately you aren't comparing apples to apples.  in the case of the drive-thru or self-checkout, those are services being provided by the same business (the restaurant or the hardware store).  in the case of online ticket sales, venues need to contract the services of a ticketmaster, or ticketfly, etc.  these guys don't work for free.  it's a lot more expensive to sell tickets through them, and there aren't any upsides to the business to offset the cost (in the case of drive-thru, you're increasing business.  for self-check out, you can cut employees and hopefully increase business). 

the venue can do two things:
1) eat the charges
2) not sell online.

#1 isn't going to happen, there isn't enough money floating around in ticket sales to absorb that cost.  and #2 would piss off customers.  how happy would you be if the only place to get 930 tickets was at the 930 club?  what, you wouldn't like it?

and for those for whom convenience fees are a mortal stain on their souls: stick it to the man and BUY YOUR TICKETS AT THE CLUB.
<sig>

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 09:18:17 pm »
and for those for whom convenience fees are a mortal stain on their souls: stick it to the man and BUY YOUR TICKETS AT THE CLUB.

THAT'S WHY I STARTED THIS THREAD. BECAUSE I TRIED AND THEY WOULDN'T LET ME AND GAVE ME SOME BULLSHIT EXCUSE.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 10:19:32 pm »
AND THAT "BULLSHIT EXCUSE" WAS THAT IT WAS AN ONLINE-ONLY PRESALE AS REQUESTED BY THE BAND.  DEAL WITH IT.
<sig>

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2011, 09:16:05 am »
if you were going to the club that often, why didn't you buy at the box office?  no fees.  your 65% argument doesn't hold up... if you love music that much, you don't let a few dollars in fees stop you - you find a way to get around those fees  (ex: buy directly from box office).

I don't go to fast food places but I'm sure they don't charge you extra for the convenience of using the drive thru...................or do they?

They don't charge extra at the hardware store for the convenience of using the self check-out.

unfortunately you aren't comparing apples to apples.  in the case of the drive-thru or self-checkout, those are services being provided by the same business (the restaurant or the hardware store).  in the case of online ticket sales, venues need to contract the services of a ticketmaster, or ticketfly, etc.  these guys don't work for free.  it's a lot more expensive to sell tickets through them, and there aren't any upsides to the business to offset the cost (in the case of drive-thru, you're increasing business.  for self-check out, you can cut employees and hopefully increase business). 

the venue can do two things:
1) eat the charges
2) not sell online.

#1 isn't going to happen, there isn't enough money floating around in ticket sales to absorb that cost.  and #2 would piss off customers.  how happy would you be if the only place to get 930 tickets was at the 930 club?  what, you wouldn't like it?

I stopped going to shows as often because the shows I wanted to see I bought online ahead of time...bent over and took the service without the KY. So I stopped going as often because my entertainment funds were being used up by service charges. End result. 930 and up and coming bands did not get the pleasure of my attendance. It actually was about a 65% drop.

The charges are what they are....pay up or don't go. My point is it's not a "convenience' charge if there's no option to 'inconveniently' buy the tickets. Which I believe was the point of the original poster.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2011, 10:14:35 am »
AND THAT "BULLSHIT EXCUSE" WAS THAT IT WAS AN ONLINE-ONLY PRESALE AS REQUESTED BY THE BAND.  DEAL WITH IT.

THE BULLSHIT EXCUSE WAS THAT THE BAND WANTED THE ABILITY TO GET TICKETS INTO THE HANDS OF THEIR FANS BEFORE THE GENERAL PUBLIC. I AM A FAN OF THE BAND SO I WANTED TO GET A TICKET IN MY HAND AT THE BOX OFFICE.

Why is this so hard for you to deduce?

Vas Deferens

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2011, 10:21:09 am »
IT WAS AN ONLINE-ONLY PRESALE AS REQUESTED BY THE BAND. Therefore, you must pay the fees  :P

THE BULLSHIT EXCUSE WAS THAT THE BAND WANTED THE ABILITY TO GET TICKETS INTO THE HANDS OF THEIR FANS BEFORE THE GENERAL PUBLIC. I AM A FAN OF THE BAND SO I WANTED TO GET A TICKET IN MY HAND AT THE BOX OFFICE.

Why is this so hard for you to deduce?
(_|_)

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2011, 11:01:46 am »
According to new book:

...... The biggest reason add-on ticket fees vary so wildly is that the artists themselves are now dictating how much extra income they want from those fees.

It?s true they could just as easily raise their face value ticket price but then they might look greedy to their fans. It?s much easier to let the public blame TicketBastard or the promoter for the incomprehensible fee gouging. And besides, this way they can often cheat their own agent out of commissions on this income. It?s all about mystification and misdirection and is the real reason why all-inclusive ticket prices have not become the norm.

http://www.pollstar.com/blogs/news/archive/2011/06/14/770958.aspx#bottom

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2011, 11:23:52 am »
This helps to back up my suspicion as to why the U2 parking is so outrageous! Leave it to that bloated globalist ass-kisser Bono to pull a stunt like that.

James Ford

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2011, 11:28:52 am »
Well the artists have to make their money somehow.

They're certainly not making money off of albums these days.

Jaguar

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2011, 11:36:04 am »
^ Rhett, it's U2. I would venture to say that their contracts are such that they get their heavy loot whether or not the record sells. Besides, lots of people do like them and buy their records.

Believe it or not, there are lots of us who still buy our music in some form or another. It's just that many of our purchases aren't necessarily counted by the big labels due to preferring (real) independents and DIYers.

Suspect that you were being facetious but can't tell in the written form.

James Ford

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2011, 11:43:36 am »
I wasn't being facetious.

The pollstar article that I was referring to never mentioned U2.

^ Rhett, it's U2. I would venture to say that their contracts are such that they get their heavy loot whether or not the record sells. Besides, lots of people do like them and buy their records.

Believe it or not, there are lots of us who still buy our music in some form or another. It's just that many of our purchases aren't necessarily counted by the big labels due to preferring (real) independents and DIYers.

Suspect that you were being facetious but can't tell in the written form.

Jaguar

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2011, 11:51:05 am »
The pollstar article that I was referring to never mentioned U2.

That's true. I was mixing up my threads. Sorry about that. I do wonder though whether it's really the artists or the labels as the artists' representatives who are making this claim. Probably a mix of both.

walkonby

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2011, 02:43:16 pm »
YOU THE PUBLIC, FUCKED UP THE MUSIC INDUSTRY FOR THE ARTISTS.  NOW THEY FUCK OVER YOU.  SO FUCK YOU.