Author Topic: Free Mp3s  (Read 5172 times)

sonickteam2

Free Mp3s
« on: December 18, 2003, 02:14:00 pm »
I was just downloading some mp3s and i thought a good thread would be to post links for sites with mp3s on them. Not "file-sharing" sites, but sites that have downloadable mp3s on them that are legit.

sound good?

anyone know any good sites?

I'll start.

http://www.radio.plus.com/

this site has lots and lots of stuff highlighted on the John Peel radio show.

everything from Pavement to Yeah Yeah Yeah's to Chumbawumba and Calexio.

very good shit.

anyone else?

ratioci nation

Re: Free Mp3s
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2003, 02:16:00 pm »
this guy has lots of links to live stuff on his site, including a live neutral milk hotel show, a live suede show from 95 and the mountain goats covering everybody's favorite, radiohead

http://blog.largeheartedboy.com

sonickteam2

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2003, 02:24:00 pm »
i love pollard, haha.

and on that site, kind of hidden is a link to TONS on sonic Youth stuff.

http://mitglied.lycos.de/constl/download.php

its in Danish or German or something but still.

mankie

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2003, 02:32:00 pm »
Actually, if anyone could give an old 'analogue' bloke like myself advice on what's a good MP3 player to buy for my daughter for chrimbo I'd be very grateful and hopefully save me from getting ripped off buy some 17 year old salesperson at Best Buy. My budget is about $130 -$150'ish.

Cheers.

sonickteam2

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2003, 02:36:00 pm »
i will add my .02  

I bought a CD player that plays Mp3-CDs.

its not a small and hip as the regular Mp3 players are, but you can just burn your mp3s to Cd and switch them, so you wont have to worry about memory or downloading them onto the player or any of that crap. mine was like $125 with a $50 rebate last year.
   like i said, its just not as small and cool looking.  but still has all the features on it that a small shiny one does.

ratioci nation

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2003, 02:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:
  Actually, if anyone could give an old 'analogue' bloke like myself advice on what's a good MP3 player to buy for my daughter for chrimbo I'd be very grateful and hopefully save me from getting ripped off buy some 17 year old salesperson at Best Buy. My budget is about $130 -$150'ish.

Cheers.
the one I would recommend is more than your budget, but here is a site that has a bunch of reviews and best value lists - http://reviews.cnet.com/Music/2001-6450_7-0.html?tag=cnetfd.glnav

Moon Mullen

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2003, 02:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by pollard:

Originally posted by mankie:

Cheers.
the one I would recommend is more than your budget, but here is a site that has a bunch of reviews and best value lists -  http://reviews.cnet.com/Music/2001-6450_7-0.html?tag=cnetfd.glnav [/b]
My first MP3 Player was a Sonicblue Rio S10, which ws pretty reliable. The only drawback I had with it was the lack of memory that came with it initially, but you can purchase memory cards for it and expand to 512MB. You can get one for around $65.00

evilsanta

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2003, 02:44:00 pm »
well up to $150 keeps you out of ipod range, as well as the hard drive based players.  if ya got a cd burner go for a combo mp3/cd player.  iriver has the best one on the marker.  as with any consumer electronics device these days quality and support can be sketchy.  i had to replace the remote for my iriver which didn't please me.  

personally i'd stay away from the sony minidisc players, they require you to use sony's copy protection sw which cripples the player imho.  the flash memory players are an option but only good for a limited number of tunes at a time.

evilsanta

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2003, 02:46:00 pm »
fyi the ipod doesn't work as well with the pc as apple would like us to believe...

sonickteam2

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2003, 02:47:00 pm »
wait a minute Mankie

stay on topic, i was trying to start a topic that would have links to where people could get MP3s!!!!!

STAY ON TOPIC, you wanker.

Bags

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2003, 02:48:00 pm »
It's true.  And I have a problem downloading MP3s on my iMac.  They are read as movie files, so neither iTunes nor iPod recognizes them.  ???  

Originally posted by evilsanta:
  fyi the ipod doesn't work as well with the pc as apple would like us to believe...

sonickteam2

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2003, 02:48:00 pm »
returning to topic....

heres another good site.

http://www.pastemusic.com/radio/mp3/default.asp

you'll need to subscribe to thier email list, but most of us have junk emailboxes right?

mankie

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2003, 03:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:
  wait a minute Mankie

stay on topic, i was trying to start a topic that would have links to where people could get MP3s!!!!!

STAY ON TOPIC, you wanker.
Did you see South Park last night...eh? The funniest one for a long time! God I love the Canucks.

When I rule the world I'm going to ship all the doodles up to Canada and bring all the Canadians down to the US, America will be a great place then! And we would stop all those pesky cold fronts coming down, becase it will be nothing but hot air coming out of the "new Canadians" yaps!

Oh yeah, back to topic...  ;)

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2003, 09:23:00 pm »
Meshugga Beach Party has some free surf tunes.

Lazer Guided Melodies

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2003, 09:31:00 pm »
Full of the good stuff:  www.epitonic.com