Author Topic: BREAK UP THE F-ING NATIONALS  (Read 440620 times)

vansmack

Re: BREAK UP THE F-ING NATIONALS
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2012, 05:07:10 pm »
9.64 ERA says it all, doesn't it? 

I would add a .308 opponents batting average against too, but yeah, that should be enough.
27>34

hutch

« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2012, 05:11:37 pm »
i love davey johnson but i can't help but wonder about whether he didn't have them ready for the YANKEES.

And that's the problem.  People think you have to have a different mind set for when you play the Yankees.  And you don't - they're a baseball team just like everybody else.

If you're good, you play your game regardless of opponent and you'll win.  Those aren't my words either - that's Mike Scioscia's approach to the Yankees.  I'm pretty sure he's the only active coach with a winning record against the Yankees (minimum 25 games).

I disagree. there is such a thing as the "mental game".. Mike can say what he wants but I'd like to see his demeanor and how he handles the club in the locker room. Its a great sound bite for sure but the fact is that the Yankees are the Yankees.. they are not just another team.. they have a history everyone is aware of... when they come to town the stands are packed and it goes on and on... people know they've won 1 out of 4 World Series.

At the highest levels of competitive sports the mental aspect is very important. To say "Oh the Yankees are the same as the Royals and we prepare the same" is a nice sound bite but thats about all it is .

This was a big series for the Nats with added pressure and they didn't respond..

vansmack

« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2012, 06:20:34 pm »
The Angels have a 91-79 record, including playoff games, against the Yankees since 1996, and are 44-31 in the last 75 games between the teams.

The Angels also eliminated New York in two of the last three times they met in the playoffs.

You can talk all you want in subjective theories, I'll stick with the facts.

They're just another ball club to the Angels.
27>34

hutch

« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2012, 07:06:01 pm »
The Angels have a 91-79 record, including playoff games, against the Yankees since 1996, and are 44-31 in the last 75 games between the teams.

The Angels also eliminated New York in two of the last three times they met in the playoffs.

You can talk all you want in subjective theories, I'll stick with the facts.

They're just another ball club to the Angels.

Of course those are the facts and its because they are mentally prepared to beat the Yankees. The Nationals, this weekend, were not.

Your point was that the Angels beat the Yankees because they treat them like another team. Fine. But, that is mental preparation.  "Saying" we don't treat the Yankees any different isn't what its about... you have to actually do it.. and while the Angels do it the Nats, this weekend, did not.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 07:09:40 pm by hutch »

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2012, 09:21:25 am »
i love davey johnson but i can't help but wonder about whether he didn't have them ready for the YANKEES.

And that's the problem.  People think you have to have a different mind set for when you play the Yankees.  And you don't - they're a baseball team just like everybody else.

If you're good, you play your game regardless of opponent and you'll win.  Those aren't my words either - that's Mike Scioscia's approach to the Yankees.  I'm pretty sure he's the only active coach with a winning record against the Yankees (minimum 25 games).

I disagree. there is such a thing as the "mental game".. Mike can say what he wants but I'd like to see his demeanor and how he handles the club in the locker room. Its a great sound bite for sure but the fact is that the Yankees are the Yankees.. they are not just another team.. they have a history everyone is aware of... when they come to town the stands are packed and it goes on and on... people know they've won 1 out of 4 World Series.

At the highest levels of competitive sports the mental aspect is very important. To say "Oh the Yankees are the same as the Royals and we prepare the same" is a nice sound bite but thats about all it is .

This was a big series for the Nats with added pressure and they didn't respond..
I don't think the Nats didn't respond, they won game 2 if it wasn't for that blown call by the ump at home plate. Unfortunately the other 2 games they got down by multiple runs and just couldn't respond, the Yankees defense WAS incredible throughout the weekend, not to mention all of our fucking errors. It was a poor series on our part, but I don't think our next series will go the same.
‼‼?‼‼

vansmack

« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2012, 02:57:08 pm »
That's a clown statement, bro.

Great line.  He's gonna get the credit for it, but Nat's PR did a wonderful job with that question - perfectly executed.

Bryce Harper applies for ?clown question? trademark, Under Armour cashes in

I hope the PR guy that actually said it first gets his money too.
27>34

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2012, 03:28:11 pm »
When the late Edward Bennett Williams, former president of the Redskins, became owner of the Orioles, he was shocked that his busy life of law, politics and power brokering was deeply unsettled by the fluctuations of baseball team. ?We play every day,? he said, ?and I can?t stop watching.?

Fans take a different kind of ownership in a contending baseball team. But they seldom know its full impact until they?re caught up in it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/for-washington-nationals-and-their-fans-the-dog-days-are-over/2012/06/21/gJQAME6stV_story.html

This looks like Boz's unused scraps from his Ken Burns Baseball interviews
(o|o)

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2012, 04:04:08 pm »
Actually read that earlier, thought it was funny when he talked to Davey about returning to Baltimore. Hope we smash their peckers off this weekend.
‼‼?‼‼

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2012, 08:29:34 am »
So far not so good for the Nots. If they were in AL East, they'd be a 4h place team.

Actually read that earlier, thought it was funny when he talked to Davey about returning to Baltimore. Hope we smash their peckers off this weekend.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2012, 09:20:13 am »
Ifs and Buts, still first place in the division that matters to the Nats... hopefully they can bounce back against the Rockies especially with the top of the rotation coming up. Super disappointed with the loss yesterday, Sean Burnett is usually so clutch in the hold spot.
‼‼?‼‼

stevewizzle

« Reply #85 on: June 25, 2012, 10:34:21 am »
So far not so good for the Nots. If they were in AL East, they'd be a 4h place team.

pretty much the whole league would be a 4th place team in the AL east.

stevewizzle

« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2012, 10:38:43 am »
also - the sky isn't falling y'all.  we dropped 2/3 to balti, and got swept by the yankees, and were competitive in every loss. 

relief pitchers sometimes blow leads.  we've been spoiled by the 'pen so far.

there's still plenty of ball left to play.  look for zim to bounce back post all-star game, morse to come on strong soon, and our starting pitchers to continue to dominate.  and we'll lose a series here and there, but this team is not going to go far from the top of the division anytime soon.

hutch

« Reply #87 on: June 25, 2012, 10:47:46 am »
problem is Nats can't win the big games..something wrong with the makeup of this team. doesn't bode well.. every time they are on national tv or play a big a game they seem to lose

Nigel Tufnel

« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2012, 10:56:49 am »
problem is Nats can't win the big games..something wrong with the makeup of this team. doesn't bode well.. every time they are on national tv or play a big a game they seem to lose

Wasn't Saturday's game on national TV?

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2012, 12:13:02 pm »
It was on Fox
‼‼?‼‼