Author Topic: BREAK UP THE F-ING NATIONALS  (Read 440711 times)

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
Re: BREAK UP THE F-ING NATIONALS
« Reply #270 on: August 30, 2012, 09:48:19 am »
I was at the Skins game last night so I wasn't able to watch, was super excited reading about Bryce's 2 jacks and Desi and Morse also getting RBIs, was able to listen to the last inning or so. Kurt Suzuki homering!? I'm fine with that! Heading out to the game tomorrow, hope I can FINALLY snag me a free Nats tee hahaha
‼‼?‼‼

vansmack

« Reply #271 on: August 30, 2012, 03:23:53 pm »
Innings eater? Not what I've seen...

The guy has averaged 6 and 1/3 innings per start every season for the last 3 years.  Clearly your definition of "innings eater" is not the same as every GM in baseball, who would all agree that that's more than a quality start per start.

Is he the Ace every team who has had him thought he would be?  Absolutely not.  But he is more than serviceable and gives the pen a much need break far more often than most #4 starters.  That's an innings eater.
27>34

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #272 on: August 30, 2012, 10:08:50 pm »
edwin sure delivered tonight.

hutch

« Reply #273 on: August 31, 2012, 01:44:00 am »
Innings eater? Not what I've seen...

The guy has averaged 6 and 1/3 innings per start every season for the last 3 years.  Clearly your definition of "innings eater" is not the same as every GM in baseball, who would all agree that that's more than a quality start per start.

Is he the Ace every team who has had him thought he would be?  Absolutely not.  But he is more than serviceable and gives the pen a much need break far more often than most #4 starters.  That's an innings eater.

the games I've seen though he gets to the fifth or sixth inning and falls apart...I just have no confidence in the guy... guess I just saw the wrong games but i never saw him make it to the 7th inning..

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #274 on: August 31, 2012, 01:53:34 am »
i'm comfortable with edwin. he always has that one inning that can make or break the entire start, but he can be reliable (and sometimes close to dominant) if he gets out of it relatively unscathed and gets decent run support. the key when he starts is for the nats to get him some runs really early. tonight was the best i've ever seen him. the nats immediately took the lead and edwin completely shut the cardinals down for 8 innings.

if nothing else i like his willingness to help out the team in less obvious ways, like pinch running and warming up in the bullpen when the nats run out of relievers in extra inning games

i dont know how likely it is for him to come back next year, but i like what he can bring as a postseason starter.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 01:59:28 am by gaaaaaaaaah »

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #275 on: August 31, 2012, 01:58:55 am »
double post

James Ford

« Reply #276 on: August 31, 2012, 08:18:45 am »
Does he really have a choice in the matter on these items?

if nothing else i like his willingness to help out the team in less obvious ways, like pinch running and warming up in the bullpen when the nats run out of relievers in extra inning games

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #277 on: August 31, 2012, 09:19:39 am »
I'm sure he could say "no" if he felt like it. Was super pleased with Edwin's start last night. Highest pitch count for a Nats pitcher this year. Good to see them bounce back with 16 runs in the past 2 games after the bats sleeping over the weekend and beginning of the week. Excited to hit the game tonight! I'm 0 for 2 this season, so hopefully tonight we get a win!
‼‼?‼‼

James Ford

« Reply #278 on: August 31, 2012, 10:20:51 am »
I dunno, you make 10 million a year, I don't think you can say "no" to your boss.

I'm sure he could say "no" if he felt like it. Was super pleased with Edwin's start last night. Highest pitch count for a Nats pitcher this year. Good to see them bounce back with 16 runs in the past 2 games after the bats sleeping over the weekend and beginning of the week. Excited to hit the game tonight! I'm 0 for 2 this season, so hopefully tonight we get a win!

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #279 on: August 31, 2012, 10:54:46 am »
Davey cherishes all the pitchers though, didn't Edwin grab his cleets and step and say that he could have pitched in that extra inning game? I'd imagine he COULDNT say "no", but even still I still think he has a choice... kind of hahaha
‼‼?‼‼

vansmack

« Reply #280 on: August 31, 2012, 01:24:29 pm »
the games I've seen though he gets to the fifth or sixth inning and falls apart...I just have no confidence in the guy... guess I just saw the wrong games but i never saw him make it to the 7th inning..

Well, then I guess it's a good thing most GM's don't limit their analysis to "only the games Hutch has seen." 

His problem has always been trying to over power people.  Last night he remembered his slider is his most effective pitch - if he continues to remember that, some team will over pay for him in the off season and you won't to worry about him any more.  That's probably what Boras told him when he signed the one year deal with the Nats.
27>34

hutch

« Reply #281 on: August 31, 2012, 01:40:56 pm »

Well, then I guess it's a good thing most GM's don't limit their analysis to "only the games Hutch has seen." 

Get that bug out of your ass, ok?

hutch

« Reply #282 on: August 31, 2012, 02:01:20 pm »
I am tempted to write: Edwin Jackson is a pitcher, based on what I've seen, that does not have the make up to be a big game/ playoff pitcher. Of course  could be wrong but I would not want to see him in a key playoff game.

Since I really haven't seen that much of him I hope for the best should the Nats get to a big game!

vansmack

« Reply #283 on: August 31, 2012, 02:22:00 pm »
I am tempted to write: Edwin Jackson is a pitcher, based on what I've seen, that does not have the make up to be a big game/ playoff pitcher. Of course  could be wrong but I would not want to see him in a key playoff game.

Since I really haven't seen that much of him I hope for the best should the Nats get to a big game!

Not the strongest performances for St Louis last year. One strong game in the NLDS, then two short outings in the NLCS where he gave up some runs early and was pulled (but STL put up a ton of runs and ended up winning both games) and then a loss in his only start in the World Series.

He does have one thing no other Nats starting pitcher has though - playoff experience.  They'll look to him to keep the rest of the team relaxed.
27>34

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #284 on: September 02, 2012, 12:18:29 am »
Way too many Cards fans at the game today, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. St. Loser is one of America's genuine dumpster fires.