Author Topic: BREAK UP THE F-ING NATIONALS  (Read 440687 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: BREAK UP THE F-ING NATIONALS
« Reply #465 on: October 15, 2012, 02:31:54 pm »
That's the dumbest, most ignorant, inflammatory post I've read on here is a long time.

one might say that he's trolling... kinda shocking, innit? ;D
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #466 on: October 15, 2012, 03:12:26 pm »
I'm sure there are a number of Nats fans out there who would agree that 11 million for Edwin Jackson wasn't the best deal ever.  And it doesn't make them a racist or a troll for feeling that way, or for stating their opinion. John Lannan could have put up simliar numbers instead of making 5 million to play in the minors all year.

That's the dumbest, most ignorant, inflammatory post I've read on here is a long time.

one might say that he's trolling... kinda shocking, innit? ;D

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #467 on: October 15, 2012, 04:10:41 pm »
I just don't like guaranteed money paid to people who underperform. All the money the Orioles spent on Brian Roberts makes me puke.

Actually, I'm quite happy that ARod is going to be sucking the Yankee teat so hard for a few more years while underperforming. 

James Ford does not care about black people

The vast majority of professional athletes salaries are obscene.

Derek Jeter  $16,000,000 for 2012. His batting average is 333, so basically he does what he's paid to do one-thrid of the time he tries.

If any of us were only one-third effective at our job, what do you think we'd get? FIRED!!!

hutch

« Reply #468 on: October 15, 2012, 04:29:32 pm »
the problem isn't how much edwin jackson makes.. the problem is he's just not that good

if i had to take out gio (questionable) early and needed a starter i'd have gone with J. Zimmerman over Edwin Jackson any day of the week.

but the bigger problem was the top of the 9th.. you just can't leave a pitcher in there, who clearly doesn't have their stuff, to give up four runs and blow the season for you... sorry. I love Davey but that was a terrible call..

very heartbreakin' end... i don't see any silver lining to being eliminated when you were up 6-0 in a game and a strike away, twice, from winning..sorry.

vansmack

« Reply #469 on: October 15, 2012, 05:15:09 pm »
No, the real problem is not understanding how the reserve clause, salary arbitration and free agency effect the signability and salary demands of players, especially those represented by Scott Boras.

The Nats gave EJ more money so they didn't have to sign him to a long term deal, which would have been cheaper this year and next, but more taxing in the future - a future Washington thinks is strong when their young pitchers are healthy.

A real mistake is not overpaying for EJ as insurance when your star is coming off Tommy John surgery and the rest of your staff is still Arb eligible, but signing EJ to a long-term deal at $8M this and steadily increasing over the next 6 years, which is what Boras was asking. He was probably worth about $8M this year given his stats and service time, and I don't really know what type of a clubhouse presence he was for the young staff, but it's clear that a one year deal was the way go with EJ, who was .500 and an ERA around 4 before his stint with the Nats, and gave you exactly that, with the possibility that he becomes what he was supposed to be as a rookie.

Would you rather have that at $11M or a 4 year deal with a 33 year old Mark Buehrle at $6M this year and $11M in 2013, $18M in 2014 and $19 in 2015 when he's 37 years old?
27>34

hutch

« Reply #470 on: October 15, 2012, 06:03:23 pm »
I can't even take seriously the idea that Edwin Jackson is overpaid.. he signed in a free market..  his one year contract was not out of line with industry norms (and baseball is an industry)

I just think he's not very good and am glad he's moving on...

stevewizzle

« Reply #471 on: October 15, 2012, 06:19:12 pm »
No, the real problem is not understanding how the reserve clause, salary arbitration and free agency effect the signability and salary demands of players, especially those represented by Scott Boras.

shockingly, EJ dropped Boras this past summer.  he had long-term offers, and settled for the one-year deal.

vansmack

« Reply #472 on: October 15, 2012, 07:29:35 pm »
am glad he's moving on...

You don't know this yet....

shockingly, EJ dropped Boras this past summer.  he had long-term offers, and settled for the one-year deal.

This does open the door for staying with Washington, but I think that's a mistake.

And don't overpay for Bourn either.  The Halo's will gladly give you Bourjos for some bull pen help.
27>34

hutch

« Reply #473 on: October 15, 2012, 11:09:54 pm »
am glad he's moving on...

You don't know this yet....

well I always assumed he didn't do well this year so he would not be wanted back but I guess anything could happen..

I have to say you know an amazing amount of stuff about sports..

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #474 on: October 16, 2012, 12:23:54 am »
i like edwin, so i wouldnt mind him coming back. does seem unlikely though, especially after the playoff appearances didnt go smoothly at all.

wouldnt mind seeing garcia get a shot at the rotation, though his arm might not hold up for a full season as a starter. if not, hopefully he gets a solid bullpen role. he was great towards the end of the regular season

the biggest question is laroche. i'd like the nats to resign him, but i think it'll take a huge deal, in dollars and years, and i don't think it's gonna be worth it. signing him for a longterm deal doesn't make much sense and after the year he had, someone's gonna offer him a contract he can't refuse. he seems like a great presence and a consistent bat, but how likely is it that'll he'll ever match this year's production?

and davey's contract, though it seems like a given that he'll be back. no one would argue that he managed game 5 perfectly, but he did a hell of a job all season, and i cant see this team picking up where they left off if a new manager enters the picture.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 12:27:21 am by gaaaaaaaaah »

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #475 on: October 16, 2012, 09:31:31 am »
I think when Davey took over for Riggleman his interaction for the rest of that last season was key to knowing what he needed going into an off season after a promising end to last season. I'd love to see what he does during the off season knowing what he can do with his current rotation and bench and improve on that. I'm very excited for spring to come around and to have Stras/Gio/Zim as the start of the rotation. It would be great to have Ejax back, but I wouldn't be too sad if he left. He has said he wants to come back, but don't all athletes say that when they're interviewed?
‼‼?‼‼

vansmack

« Reply #476 on: October 16, 2012, 01:43:34 pm »
the biggest question is laroche. i'd like the nats to resign him, but i think it'll take a huge deal, in dollars and years, and i don't think it's gonna be worth it. signing him for a longterm deal doesn't make much sense and after the year he had, someone's gonna offer him a contract he can't refuse. he seems like a great presence and a consistent bat, but how likely is it that'll he'll ever match this year's production?

The Nats have a team option for LaRoche for 2013.  One year, $10 Million.  If they don't exercise it, there's a $1 Million buyout and he becomes a free agent.
27>34

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #477 on: October 16, 2012, 01:56:18 pm »
but its a mutual option for 2013, so laroche would need to agree to it as well, and i don't really see that happening. he wants more than one year, and he'd be a fool not to test free agency.

vansmack

« Reply #478 on: October 16, 2012, 02:05:58 pm »
but its a mutual option for 2013, so laroche would need to agree to it as well, and i don't really see that happening. he wants more than one year, and he'd be a fool not to test free agency.

Oh wow.  Baseball-reference lists it as a team option.  That changes everything.  I'm going to have to think about that.
27>34

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #479 on: October 16, 2012, 02:51:21 pm »

this is correct.
(o|o)