Author Topic: BREAK UP THE F-ING NATIONALS  (Read 440673 times)

gaaaaaaaaah

Re: BREAK UP THE F-ING NATIONALS
« Reply #540 on: January 09, 2013, 04:48:53 pm »
yeah but with his injury i dont think theres any need to rush ramos back as the primary starter. he may still be the catcher of the future but id be really surprised if he's #1 this season.

apparently morse isn't keen on being a dh, but i imagine thats where he'll end up. he's a solid enough outfielder if need be but had almost no range so i dont really see teams being desperate to put him out there.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #541 on: January 09, 2013, 05:04:29 pm »
He's got a big bat though. I honestly didn't think there'd be so many teams looking at him. Couple more teams in the AL East are looking at him as well.
‼‼?‼‼

vansmack

« Reply #542 on: January 09, 2013, 05:42:02 pm »
Wasn't Ramos drafted to be the catcher here? Zuke was brought in to help Jesus from getting beaten down for the rest of the season. He was AWESOME in relief and not bad at batting, but I always thought it was Ramos job to keep...

Kurt's role is to teach Ramos, and he knows this.  Ramos is not ready to be the everyday catcher with that young staff.  Kurt's got one more year left on his contract (I doubt they exercise the option for 2014) and when he leaves it's Ramos' job.

Developing a catcher is one of the toughest jobs in baseball.  Kurt's got the proper pedigree to do that.
27>34

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #543 on: January 09, 2013, 05:45:08 pm »
I wouldn't mind them alternating, it'll be good to see Ramos get back on the field!

Anyone going to Nats Fest? I'm getting tickets this weekend...
‼‼?‼‼

James Ford

« Reply #544 on: January 09, 2013, 08:03:40 pm »
Plus the Marley songs they into him with are the best player into music you're going to get.

Wasn't Ramos drafted to be the catcher here? Zuke was brought in to help Jesus from getting beaten down for the rest of the season. He was AWESOME in relief and not bad at batting, but I always thought it was Ramos job to keep...

Kurt's role is to teach Ramos, and he knows this.  Ramos is not ready to be the everyday catcher with that young staff.  Kurt's got one more year left on his contract (I doubt they exercise the option for 2014) and when he leaves it's Ramos' job.

Developing a catcher is one of the toughest jobs in baseball.  Kurt's got the proper pedigree to do that.

shemptiness

« Reply #545 on: January 15, 2013, 04:10:12 pm »
Soriano.  Whoa.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #546 on: January 15, 2013, 04:33:52 pm »
Drew Storen, Tyler Clippard, Rafael Soriano. Whoa.
‼‼?‼‼

vansmack

« Reply #547 on: January 15, 2013, 05:00:58 pm »
Drew Storen, Tyler Clippard, Rafael Soriano. Whoa.

That's a lot of right arms.

27>34

vansmack

« Reply #548 on: January 15, 2013, 05:07:33 pm »
Soriano.  Whoa.

Wow.  2 years, $28 million, vesting option for a third year at 120 appearances for another $14 million.  The Nats aren't joking around making their second highest paid player a relief pitcher AND giving up their first round draft pick.

The pundits are going to hate this deal.
27>34

hutch

« Reply #549 on: January 15, 2013, 05:18:55 pm »
Soriano.  Whoa.

Wow.  2 years, $28 million, vesting option for a third year at 120 appearances for another $14 million.  The Nats aren't joking around making their second highest paid player a relief pitcher AND giving up their first round draft pick.

well what do you think?

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #550 on: January 15, 2013, 05:31:41 pm »
Soriano.  Whoa.

28th pick in the draft? Rumors are Clip could be dealt to fill out some of the farm system as well.

Clip and Morse go in a double deal? Who knows.
‼‼?‼‼

atomicfront

« Reply #551 on: January 15, 2013, 05:53:35 pm »
talk about overpaying for a reliever.  way way too much money. 

vansmack

« Reply #552 on: January 15, 2013, 05:57:15 pm »
well what do you think?

First thing I thought was "what's wrong with Burnett?" when I could get their lefty off them for less than half of what they Nats just dropped on one year of Soriano, who would be the third righty in their 7-8-9 bullpen.

Then I thought why didn't they go after Affeldt if they're going to throw that kind of cash around for a 33 year old, and then they could have had a solid lefty and some chump change to throw around.

I next turned to the Dodgers, who likely drove the price on Soriano up, and wondered what they were going to do.

Now I've had a little time to look at it, and I think they overpaid, but they have the cash, Soriano has been consistent and effective throughout 5 of his last 6 seasons, but they still have a glaring hole in their rotation without a solid left handed reliever.  Maybe the Morse deal for a lefty is closer than we know.

It's still a lot of cash for a reliever.

27>34

shemptiness

« Reply #553 on: January 15, 2013, 06:14:41 pm »

vansmack

« Reply #554 on: January 15, 2013, 06:47:16 pm »
Kilgore of the Post suggested it earlier this month:

Sort of.  He said if they don't sign LaRoche, then sign Soriano to a ridiculous one-year deal.

Instead they signed LaRoche, and gave Soriano a ridiculous 2-year deal with a 3rd year vesting option based on appearances, not performance.

The one thing he got right:  When a preposterously wealthy, 87-year-old man wants to win a World Series, anything could be possible.

This is clearly a move to do just that.
27>34