Author Topic: BREAK UP THE F-ING NATIONALS  (Read 440533 times)

vansmack

Re: BREAK UP THE F-ING NATIONALS
« Reply #555 on: January 16, 2013, 05:53:45 pm »
75 year old Lefty Darren Oliver back to Toronto for $3m.

"In 2012 the southpaw posted a 2.06 ERA and a 52-13 K/BB ratio in 62 appearances, and held lefty bats to a .234 average. But like many of Oliver's seasons, he was even nastier versus right-handed hitters, limiting them to a .196 average and just five extra-base hits last season."

These are the kind of things that make me shake my head about the Soriano deal.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #556 on: January 16, 2013, 08:37:09 pm »
I don't know how Billy Beane does this shit, but I love it.

Morse back to Seattle (where he came from).

AJ Cole back to the Nats (where he came from in the Gio trade).

And I can only guess the A's got cash?

EDIT: The A's will reportedly also send two prospects to be named later to the Nationals to complete the deal.

Oakland gets catcher John Jaso, presumably to replace Suzuki.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 08:49:27 pm by vansmack »
27>34

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #557 on: January 16, 2013, 08:57:43 pm »
damn, quite a rapport built lately between rizzo and beane

hate to see morse go, but three prospects isnt a bad return.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #558 on: January 17, 2013, 10:16:41 am »
Article on Mike Rizzo and a little look into how he does business...

http://www.federalbaseball.com/2013/1/14/3874236/the-refreshingly-honest-reign-of-washington-nationals-gm-mike-rizzo

Bummed to see The Beast leave. Someone better make A-ha their walk up song! I want baseball here already! ACK! Anyone know when single game tickets are available?
‼‼?‼‼

stevewizzle

« Reply #559 on: January 17, 2013, 10:38:17 am »
i still get chills watching take on me rendition from Game 5.  loved morse, but he was a pathetic outfielder and injury-prone. even with that said, i'd rather have him than laroche. 

getting back AJ Cole is nice.  better to get a prospect back that you know something about rather than depend on scouting reports.  the next likely suitor, the red sox, don't have many guarantees in there farm system.  this at least has a lot of upside.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #560 on: January 17, 2013, 11:50:43 am »
I will MISS Morse.  What a class act, as evident in the piece below.  Great fucking guy.  I think he should leave Take On Me to Werth in his Nats will.  God I wish we could have kept him.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2013/01/16/michael-morse-on-his-trade-to-the-mariners-and-his-time-with-the-nationals/

hutch

« Reply #561 on: January 17, 2013, 12:29:26 pm »
I will MISS Morse.  What a class act, as evident in the piece below.  Great fucking guy.  I think he should leave Take On Me to Werth in his Nats will.  God I wish we could have kept him.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2013/01/16/michael-morse-on-his-trade-to-the-mariners-and-his-time-with-the-nationals/

that is class...

stevewizzle

« Reply #562 on: January 17, 2013, 09:39:40 pm »
bummer there is no mariners interleague games this year, would be fun to see him come through town.

shemptiness

« Reply #563 on: January 17, 2013, 09:41:59 pm »
bummer there is no mariners interleague games this year, would be fun to see him come through town.

Camden Yards isn't that far away. 

stevewizzle

« Reply #564 on: January 17, 2013, 09:43:47 pm »
i was thinking more along the lines of morse comes up, and they play take on me and the crowd goes wild. also in this fantasy world i'm creating, he doesn't ever bring it out with seattle.

vansmack

« Reply #565 on: January 18, 2013, 02:12:59 pm »
Keith Law thinks the Nats did alright:

----------------

The Washington Nationals, Oakland Athletics and Seattle Mariners pulled off a three-team deal Wednesday evening, which featured Michael Morse heading to Seattle, John Jaso going to Oakland, and pitching prospects A.J. Cole, Blake Treinen and a player to be named moving to Washington.

The Nats came out way ahead, the A's made a modest gain, and the M's leave me scratching my head at why they'd ask for change for a five-dollar bill and be happy with three singles.

The Nationals move a player for whom they had no use, and to whom they would have paid $6.75 million just to sit on the bench. The acquisition of Denard Span earlier this winter plus the re-signing of Adam LaRoche put the oft-injured, twice-suspended-for-PEDs Morse on the outside looking in, with one year left until he was due to hit free agency.

For one year of Morse's services, they reacquired right-handers Cole and Treinen, as well as a player to be named. Cole started the year in the high Class A California League and was so bad that the A's demoted him to the low Class A Midwest League, which he dominated for the second year in a row; he struggled with his arm slot earlier in the year, dropping down and losing some velocity as a result, but was better in the second half.

Treinen has a live arm but has some history of injuries dating back to his days at South Dakota State, and probably projects better in the bullpen given the lack of life on his fastball. He did finish in relief in high-A after scuffling as a starter earlier in 2012, throwing more than enough strikes but giving up too much hard contact. The Nats' farm system was nearly wiped out after a series of trades, a couple of promotions, and a 2012 draft that put most of the team's eggs in one (very good) basket, so this is a nice depth-building move for a player who didn't fit their roster any longer.

(Incidentally, readers asked for my thoughts on their deal with Rafael Soriano; he's a very good short reliever, but $14 million for a reliever who's never been worth more than 2 WAR and probably can't hold up for 70 innings a year is way too steep. I also wouldn't give up the 31st overall pick, as the Nats did, to sign a reliever, especially since their pen was already a strength. But Soriano is pretty low-risk as relievers go, at least in terms of performance on the field.)

-------------

The rest of the article says the A's did alright and that the Mariners made a horrible deal (gave up three years of Jaso for one season of Morse).
27>34

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #566 on: January 21, 2013, 10:57:04 am »
Spring Training tickets on sale. When do single game tickets go on sale! Gah!
‼‼?‼‼

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #567 on: January 24, 2013, 04:17:48 pm »
espinosa's having quite an offseason

vansmack

« Reply #568 on: January 24, 2013, 07:28:09 pm »
espinosa's having quite an offseason

Smokin.
27>34

shemptiness