Author Topic: BREAK UP THE F-ING NATIONALS  (Read 440563 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: BREAK UP THE F-ING NATIONALS
« Reply #1350 on: November 01, 2019, 03:14:44 pm »
"The Washington Capitals, DC's National Hockey League team, also announced Friday that they would honor the Nationals before the Capitals' game on Sunday. Members of the Nationals as well as the World Series trophy will appear on the ice for a pre-game ceremony, according to a statement from the Capitals."
<sig>

« Reply #1351 on: November 04, 2019, 01:48:21 pm »
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #1353 on: November 04, 2019, 03:02:32 pm »
Anthony Rendon, Javy Guerra, Joe Ross, Wander Suero, Wilmer Difo, Michael A. Taylor, Victor Robles and Sean Doolittle are not on the official attendance list for today’s ceremony at the White House.

Space Freely

« Reply #1354 on: November 04, 2019, 04:02:10 pm »
Kurt Suzuki donned a MAGA hat at the ceremony.

vansmack

« Reply #1355 on: November 04, 2019, 04:36:19 pm »

Perhaps that concussion was worse than I thought.
27>34

« Reply #1356 on: November 04, 2019, 05:22:35 pm »

Perhaps that concussion was worse than I thought.
looking like he's having a #metoo moment to me...

and Strasburg left Trump hanging...not sure it was intentional, but you could see Donny get that look of dejection for a moment
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 05:27:09 pm by Fireside chat-hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|ll »
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1357 on: November 04, 2019, 06:45:56 pm »
During the presentation, player Ryan Zimmerman presented the President was presented with a Washington Nationals jersey. He thanked the President for "keeping everyone safe here in our country. You continue to make America the greatest country to live in the world," he added.

well, there goes my respect for zimm... (also, nice copy editing there)

"America fell in love with the Nats baseball," Trump said. "They just fell in love with Nats baseball. That's all they wanted to talk about -- that and impeachment. I like Nats baseball much more."

no kidding!

(from cnn)
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #1358 on: November 04, 2019, 07:18:44 pm »
During the presentation, player Ryan Zimmerman presented the President was presented with a Washington Nationals jersey. He thanked the President for "keeping everyone safe here in our country. You continue to make America the greatest country to live in the world," he added.

well, there goes my respect for zimm... (also, nice copy editing there)

"America fell in love with the Nats baseball," Trump said. "They just fell in love with Nats baseball. That's all they wanted to talk about -- that and impeachment. I like Nats baseball much more."

no kidding!

(from cnn)

I won't be going to the Salt Line.

vansmack

« Reply #1359 on: December 09, 2019, 04:00:20 pm »
Stras, 7 years, $245 million
27>34

Space Freely

« Reply #1360 on: December 09, 2019, 04:10:26 pm »

So long to Rendon? If I could only have one of the two, he's the one I wanted...

hutch

« Reply #1361 on: December 09, 2019, 04:28:01 pm »
Same. They better resign Rendon

hutch

« Reply #1362 on: December 09, 2019, 04:45:51 pm »
I would make Rendon a similar offer to the deal Harper supposedly turned down from Dodgers....

vansmack

« Reply #1363 on: December 09, 2019, 05:36:21 pm »

- full no-trade clause
- no options or opt-outs
- ~$80m deferred, plus interest
27>34

Space Freely

« Reply #1364 on: December 23, 2019, 03:28:44 pm »
Rendon never liked DC because he's a Republican? Well screw him. Time to make Sean Doolittle my favorite in spite of his ridiculous beard.

Dec 23, 2019
Washington Post Sports Columnist Tom Boswell answered your questions about the Redskins, Capitals, Nationals, Wizards, the NFL and more.

— DEC 23, 2019 11:25 EST
Q: Rendon’ s feelings about D.C.
Can you please more fully explain why you think Anthony Rendon didn’t really like D.C. and that his feelings influence his decision to sign with the Angels rather than the Nats? The reporting I saw on his remarks didn’t seem to justify that conclusion. He seemed clear that “Hollywood” was not a good fit, but not as clear on his feelings about D,C. Is there more to the story that we didn’t see?

A: Thomas Boswell
I watched Rendon for years and listened to every comment he ever made about DC or playing for the Nats. My conclussion was always that he was "tepid" and, like Jordan Zimmerman, felt like he was somewhat out of place in a major East Coast city. Zimmerman wanted to get back closer to his small-town upper-mid-west roots --and did by signing with the Tigers. I'd hate to think that a high-talent good-guy player like Rendon would fall into the trap of feeling like his baseball decisions should get tied up with his red-blue culture feelings. But it certainly seems like that was in play here. He's very religious, and acts on his convictions. He's also very comfortable --he says-- in (home state) Texas and Orange County, which, of course, has a very rich-and-red reputation, though voting patterns are changing there.

To be blunt, I don't think Rendon ever liked Washington very much. His teammates, yes. The way the team was run --with the front office often frustrated in its dealings with the Lerners on key decisions-- was certainly a problem for him. How big a problem? I can't measure. But he was always one of those who --internally-- was viewed as a player who loved the Nats baseball people --throughout the whole organization-- but didn't think that the folks above them necessarily knew as much about baseball as they thought they did.

For the record, I think Rendon will disappear in Angel world, much as Manny Machado did in San Diego. That team has no starting pitching worthy of the name. It'll take years to get it.

I'd have loved to see Rendon get a deal done anywhere from 8-to-18 months ago. HE wouldn't prefer that --because it would probably have cost him $50-to-$100M depending on the timing. But I suspect he'll look back on his time with the Nationals --not his time in Washington as a place with a congenial culture for his tastes-- but his time with the Nats, as his happiest as a baseball player.