Author Topic: Merriweather: Top 5 Outdoor U.S. Concert Venue  (Read 6238 times)

fatskippy

Re: Merriweather: Top 5 Outdoor U.S. Concert Venue
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 11:18:05 am »
Where to even begin.  MPP isn't even the best outdoor venue in this area.  Jones Beach has horrendous sound in the mezz and you can't drink.  Alpine is a police state and that hill has was not made for people to be standing on it.  Hollywood Bowl, Greek in Berkeley, Bethel Woods, Encore Park, Wolftrap, Blossom, and probably even SPAC are much more deserving.

blipvurt

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 11:23:45 am »
Caveat for Hutch: Wolf Trap barely registers on my radar due to the lack of acts that interest me they book there. I think last time I went was 15 years ago? The draw of the acts booked factors into my evalution of a venue. I wish they'd do more that interested me at Wofl Trap, I remember it being pretty nice.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 01:48:47 pm »
for the author of the article, scenery/natural setting appears to be a really important criterion.  if other criteria are more important for you - location/convenience, size, sound, sight lines, ability to bring a picnic - then you obviously won't agree with the article.

i wouldn't include the hollywood bowl in this list.  it is indeed a beautiful venue but the arrangement of seats is sub-optimal - they're too spread out.  for a venue of less than 18,000 seats, it covers a lot of land.  you need to be seated in the front half of the bowl to see anything.

an outdoor venue that i really liked back in the day was Molson Park, north of Toronto.  it was a standing-only GA venue built on a huge & perfect sloping bowl.  i caught lollapalooza there in '93 and '94 and it was the perfect venue for it.  you could make your way down to the pit for the bands you wanted to be close to, and have a perfect view on the slope/hill when you weren't front and center.  i'll admit that i'm remembering the venue through nostalgia-tinted, rose-colored glasses.  i believe the site is now strip malls and business parks.
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 01:59:50 pm »
for the author of the article, scenery/natural setting appears to be a really important criterion.  if other criteria are more important for you - location/convenience, size, sound, sight lines, ability to bring a picnic - then you obviously won't agree with the article.

Actually author's criteria is all over the map.. cites how there is not a bad seat in the house at Jones beach for example...

Relaxer

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 02:25:51 pm »
Well I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that this particular author has not actually been to all U.S. concert venues, and probably not even all of her Top 5, therefore her criteria is among many things that are suspect.
oword

James Ford

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2011, 02:34:11 pm »
Can we carry over the bonerific picture to page 2 plz?

Amanda's love of travel has reached new heights.  The chance to learn about other cultures and experience new cuisine and scenery have inspired her desire to experience as much of the world as possible.  Favorite travel memories include annual family trips to far off destinations like the rainforests of Costa Rica and the beautiful landscapes of Tuscany.

"When I went to Club Med in Costa Rica with my parents, we had SUCH a good time! And Italy was great too although I was only 5 when we went. LOL!"

bearman🐻

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2011, 02:36:12 pm »
I think she's actually a Hall & Oates and Dave Matthews groupie.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2011, 02:44:06 pm »
just print it and stick to your refrigerator door..... ;D

Amanda's love of travel has reached new heights.  The chance to learn about other cultures and experience new cuisine and scenery have inspired her desire to experience as much of the world as possible.  Favorite travel memories include annual family trips to far off destinations like the rainforests of Costa Rica and the beautiful landscapes of Tuscany.

"When I went to Club Med in Costa Rica with my parents, we had SUCH a good time! And Italy was great too although I was only 5 when we went. LOL!"
(_|_)

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2011, 02:44:31 pm »
I'm really surprised to see Jones Beach on the list at all.  Between the mediocre sound, no alcohol and no protection from the elements, it's really not that great.   It's unique, but certainly not one of the best.

I'm also surprised to see the love here for that place in Camden.  Yeah, taking the boat from Philly is fun, but other than that, it's just another giant cement mega-shed.  It's interchangeable with just about every other modern shed out there.

We're lucky to have both MPP and Wolf Trap at our disposal.  Both are great venues.  I prefer MPP, but it's easy to see why others prefer Wolf Trap.   Pier Six has a great view of the harbor, but otherwise it's a dump.

James Ford

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2011, 02:57:58 pm »
Yes it would look great right next to the pictures of Divine and Cooter Obama.

just print it and stick to your refrigerator door..... ;D

ggw

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2011, 03:00:27 pm »
I think she's actually a Hall & Oates and Dave Matthews groupie.

I'm guessing Glee-freak.

blipvurt

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2011, 03:02:29 pm »
I think being on the water is a nice plus for the one in Camden over others in the middle of nowhere in a dusty field, like Jiffy Lube Live for instance. In the summer there is some great off-the-water breeze action. Also, I dig their winter/indoor configuration. But really my vote for Camden comes down mainly to the sound. Of the cement mega-sheds I've been to, it sounds the best. Sound is way better there than MPP.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2011, 03:11:34 pm »
Mann Center in Philly and Greek Theater Berkeley are my faves
(_|_)

slappy

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2011, 04:43:53 pm »

Shout out to Pritzker Pavillion in Chicago

Mobius

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2011, 05:18:18 pm »
Wolftrap is technically nice, but its status as a National Park on federal land in NoVa makes it feel like an annex of the National Mall to me . . .too official and serious.

Merriweather is like a nice hike up a 4,000 foot peak in the Adirondacks.  Is that on the same level as a Red Rocks which could be considered like a Vail?  On one level no, on another yes.  It may not be epic but its a real nice natural environment, its pleasant and its quality.  I've never had anything but a great time at a Merriweather show in many, many years.