Author Topic: Merriweather: Top 5 Outdoor U.S. Concert Venue  (Read 6239 times)

hutch

Re: Merriweather: Top 5 Outdoor U.S. Concert Venue
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2011, 05:25:08 pm »
Wolftrap is technically nice, but its status as a National Park on federal land in NoVa makes it feel like an annex of the National Mall to me . . .too official and serious.

Merriweather is like a nice hike up a 4,000 foot peak in the Adirondacks.  Is that on the same level as a Red Rocks which could be considered like a Vail?  On one level no, on another yes.  It may not be epic but its a real nice natural environment, its pleasant and its quality.  I've never had anything but a great time at a Merriweather show in many, many years.

official or serious? you can walk  by a national park ranger chugging a beer you brought from the outside and they'll smile at you.. 

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2011, 03:41:26 pm »
Wolftrap is technically nice, but its status as a National Park on federal land in NoVa makes it feel like an annex of the National Mall to me . . .too official and serious.

Are you fucking kidding? It's BYOB there on the hill!

serpent boy

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2011, 06:22:39 pm »
I saw Pearl Jam at the Camden amphitheater in 2006. It wasn't a great experience. Camden is a hellhole. I had Ten Club seats in the back of the 200's and couldn't see anything. The sound was OK but nothing spectacular.

I've only been to outdoor venues on the East Coast, but Camden definitely doesn't belong on a top 5 list.

Merriweather isn't perfect, but I've always enjoyed being there.

Mobius

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2011, 12:11:25 am »

Merriweather is like a nice hike up a 4,000 foot peak in the Adirondacks.  Is that on the same level as a Red Rocks which could be considered like a Vail?  On one level no, on another yes.  It may not be epic but its a real nice natural environment, its pleasant and its quality.  I've never had anything but a great time at a Merriweather show in many, many years.

official or serious? you can walk  by a national park ranger chugging a beer you brought from the outside and they'll smile at you.. 

Its BYOB, yes, and 'serious' wasn't a great word . . . but there's something I don't like about the vibe . . .I think of it like a good party at a nice house but I don't get along with the host
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 12:14:14 am by Mobius »