Author Topic: I demand a DC commuter tax  (Read 4885 times)

hutch

Re: I demand a DC commuter tax
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 12:19:31 pm »
I totally support a commuter tax. Because, as a resident of Arlington, I look forward to the massive influx of tax revenue that it will bring to our county as the private sector moves their offices across the river.

You've got to be kidding me. WHere? the abomination that is Rosslyn.. I think we have enough...Things are fine the way they are.. the last thing we need is more "development" in Arlington. Its bad enough what has happened with the American Cheesecake Factorization of Clarendon

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 12:39:00 pm »
oh yeah, born and raised in DC?

Fuck no.

runwhiteyrun06

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2011, 01:20:42 pm »
So why is this thread on the 930 club message board?

Mobius

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 01:27:59 pm »
Holy shit . . .you're talking about a book written in 1994?  Has any city changed more since 94 than dc? 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 01:58:59 pm by Mobius »

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 01:29:15 pm »
Holy shit . . .you're talking about a book w in 1994?  Has any city changed more since 94 than dc?

Doesn't mean the commuter tax issue is irrelevant.

reggie

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 02:50:23 pm »
I'm all for bringing more revenue to DC, but this would be a mess because the surrounding county's would respond with their own commuter tax.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011, 03:01:56 pm »
how about a tax for all the fuckheads from dc and northern virginia who come out to the shenandoah valley every weekend . . . and stink up the place with their attitudes?

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2011, 04:02:01 pm »
I'm all for bringing more revenue to DC, but this would be a mess because the surrounding county's would respond with their own commuter tax.

That's fine with me. Neither Arlington nor Mont Co are swelling by 400,000+ commuters per day.

vansmack

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2011, 05:49:27 pm »
Put your effort where you mouth is:

Washington, DC Ballot Initiative Process
27>34

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2011, 06:19:51 pm »
anyway, this is the dumbest topic in history.   Pretty much every boardie on this thread has a well defined position.   It's not even necessary to type, if each person just leaves a blank post with their name, we'll basically have the same debate.

_\|/_

atomicfront

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2011, 11:03:30 pm »
What percentage of their pay would you consider a fair tax on commuters.  In my county 50% of tax dollars go to schools.  Well commuters shouldn't have to pay school taxes.  Another big chunk goes to libraries.  Once again commuters shoudln't pay for that.

Most of the money for highway repair comes from federal tax dollars.  Not that DC has many highways.  I am sure most of the subway and buses are payed by federal tax dollars and fairs.  So DC doesn't need help there. Prisons?  Well I am guessing most of the crime is home grown not committed by and large by commuters.   Police force?  Well they have red light cameras and speed cameras. I am sure that most crimes by commuters are traffic related.  The 10 percent tax DC has on restaurant bills in the district should be able to pay for the police needs caused by commuters. 

So what do you think a 1 percent tax on their income? I wouldn't be opposed to that if the following occurred:

The federal government stopped giving DC all that cash to run their government.
If DC hadn't given away a brand new baseball stadium to billionaire baseball owners for millionaire baseball players to play in.
And if they could build some highways into DC from maryland. 
And they stopped giving me parking tickets when I wasn't parking illegally.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2011, 11:12:03 pm »

Absolutely not. I agree with you on the parking tickets.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2011, 11:35:37 pm »

highways slicing through capitol hill were planned in the 60s, thank god they weren't built.
(o|o)

hutch

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2011, 07:29:32 am »
What percentage of their pay would you consider a fair tax on commuters. 

Fair?
Listen, when DC residents get some/any representation at the national level in the Congress then we can talk about fair, no?

Taxation without representation is bullshit.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2011, 11:44:52 am »
What percentage of their pay would you consider a fair tax on commuters. 

Fair?
Listen, when DC residents get some/any representation at the national level in the Congress then we can talk about fair, no?

Taxation without representation is bullshit.

Blah de blah de blah blah fucking blah....if you want representation live in a US state.