Author Topic: Thievery Corporation @ Kastles, Saturday 8/20  (Read 4856 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Thievery Corporation @ Kastles, Saturday 8/20
« on: August 15, 2011, 05:09:51 pm »
a TC thread for roll call, show reviews, bitching, etc.  anyone else kinda excited for this show?

supposedly there will be a parade of food trucks outside the venue this saturday.  awesome :)

interview with eric hilton, in which he highlights his relationship with seth/imp:
http://www.washingtonian.com/blogarticles/artsfun/afterhours/20448.html
the kastles show was seth's way of keeping TC outta the FSS ;D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 05:15:24 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: Thievery Corporation @ Kastles
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 05:11:21 pm »
Jinx

Thousand Made-Up Loves

Re: Thievery Corporation @ Kastles, Saturday 8/20
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 07:59:26 pm »
Good for them. I live in the 'hood, I'm gonna stop by Saturday and see how they sound from outside the stadium. Hopefully the food trucks will still be there when TC goes on.  ;D

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 04:24:25 pm »
"So here?s the skinny on the amazing Thievery Corporation show we have planned for you all this Saturday: http://930club.tumblr.com/post/8964314014/so-heres-the-skinny-on-the-amazing-thievery"
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 04:30:31 pm »
man when you're resorting to hyping a show because of friggin' food trucks that are selling food... thats super weak..

who gives a shit about food trucks? i like to pound beers before a show not sit around eating empanadas (which i can make at home anyways)

thievery has been putting on the same show since i saw them back in the late 90s at the 930... moreover, i'm pretty sure hilton and garza dont do shit except turn on their computers and mug for the crowd..poseurs of the first order.

if pam bricker was alive to actually sing lebanese blonde i might be able to get into it but she's not..
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 04:36:26 pm by hutch »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 04:56:02 pm »
those already going (like, say, me) are pretty psyched about having a cool dinner option on the doorstep of the show.  the missus and i were going to grab a bite in the city anyways; this makes it easy, convenient and tasty.  and in case you're behind the times: food trucks are HUGE with the foodies.  they are an attraction in their own right.  truckapalooza, held a few weeks ago, attracted TONS of people (they were expecting over 10,000).  so maybe some people who were on the fence about this show might be persuaded because of the food.  and the caste majority of folks around here don't make empanadas at home  :P

agreed that TC has been doing the same thing for years.  i don't go to their show expecting something new, i go expecting something good.  i've seen them 6 or 7 times, and there was only one show i didn't really like.  their last run at the club was awesome and the new album is good (albeit typical of TC).  should make for a good show, IMO.

i'm pretty sure hilton and garza dont do shit except turn on their computers and mug for the crowd..poseurs of the first order.

you say this based on what?  you've examined their setup?  you've been backstage looking over their shoulders, or listened in on the stage feed?
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 05:02:11 pm »
those already going (like, say, me) are pretty psyched about having a cool dinner option on the doorstep of the show.  the missus and i were going to grab a bite in the city anyways; this makes it easy, convenient and tasty.  and in case you're behind the times: food trucks are HUGE with the foodies.  they are an attraction in their own right.  truckapalooza, held a few weeks ago, attracted TONS of people (they were expecting over 10,000).  so maybe some people who were on the fence about this show might be persuaded because of the food.  and the caste majority of folks around here don't make empanadas at home  :P

agreed that TC has been doing the same thing for years.  i don't go to their show expecting something new, i go expecting something good.  i've seen them 6 or 7 times, and there was only one show i didn't really like.  their last run at the club was awesome and the new album is good (albeit typical of TC).  should make for a good show, IMO.

i'm pretty sure hilton and garza dont do shit except turn on their computers and mug for the crowd..poseurs of the first order.

you say this based on what?  you've examined their setup?  you've been backstage looking over their shoulders, or listened in on the stage feed?

Obviously you're invested in your ticket. Enjoy the show! and stop reading now.seriously, its just an opinion.

dude, i'm glad food trucks are huge with the foodies.. its still a load of crap.. who wants to pay good money to eat warmed over food out of a truck? sorry man... i don't go with the trends; i make them.

I've seen Thievery a bunch of times.. they are poseurs.. they do not do shit. Watch them.. You heard it here. The last time I watched them at Freefest - INTENTLY- the entire performance.. it was self evident they were doing nothing... they would move their bodies backwards and forward and side to side as if to simulate that they were actually pulling some levers but it was all bs.

Also Garza is a prick. Thats not just coming from me... the guy walks around like he owns the town and is better than everyone else. I saw this first hand after the K&D show.

OH, and their music is beyond stale. .their best album by far remains mirror conspiracy and after richest man in babylon it was pretty much over.

and don't get me started on the "reggae boys" . not sure if they are still with them..
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 05:05:24 pm by hutch »

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 05:56:07 pm »
Heh heh.  It's always funny to see people lined up in 30-40 minute lines, for a meal that they wouldn't spend 5 minutes waiting for in a regular storefront restaurant, all because it's being served up by a truck that tweets.   It's the same phenomenon with that cupcake store in Georgetown... people are herd animals.

_\|/_

azaghal1981

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 06:17:35 pm »
Don't get me started on those horrible cupcakes.
احمد

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 09:02:05 am »
Heh heh.  It's always funny to see people lined up in 30-40 minute lines, for a meal that they wouldn't spend 5 minutes waiting for in a regular storefront restaurant, all because it's being served up by a truck that tweets.   It's the same phenomenon with that cupcake store in Georgetown... people are herd animals.

This is the nail on the head.

3MTA3

shemptiness

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 09:35:41 am »
Well, to borrow from another thread - 'Sometimes there are things and is worse'.

GiroGirl

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 09:12:02 am »
Hi!  So does anyone have any idea what time the music will start?  Could we bring a nice Mozzarella and Tomato Salad, little prosecco and hang out by the water--then rush to our seats when the music starts?

James Ford

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 09:34:20 am »
My wife and daughter make better empanadas than you can get out of a stinking food truck.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 05:12:47 pm »
Hi!  So does anyone have any idea what time the music will start?  Could we bring a nice Mozzarella and Tomato Salad, little prosecco and hang out by the water--then rush to our seats when the music starts?

set times have just been posted:

5:00 Gates
5:30 The Volta Bureau
6:00 The Arkives
6:45 The Funk Ark
8:00 Thievery Corporation

Any changes to that will be posted on the site tomorrow.

the caprese sounds delightful, but be careful about the prosecco (re: open containers/public drinking). be discreet.
<sig>

wml7

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 05:21:59 pm »
yeah, just put in a brown paper bag, no one will know  ;D