Author Topic: Thievery Corporation @ Kastles, Saturday 8/20  (Read 5099 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Thievery Corporation @ Kastles, Saturday 8/20
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2011, 01:12:02 am »
quick video shot on friday of kastle stadium w/ stage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omzUAv5adEw

incoming hate in 4... 3...
<sig>

lily1

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2011, 01:20:34 am »
i will be there. and also live in sw. about 2 blocks from the place, right on the river.

sweets & mrs sweets and TMUL-look forward to finally meeting you!

wml7

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2011, 01:33:12 am »
quick video shot on friday of kastle stadium w/ stage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omzUAv5adEw

incoming hate in 4... 3...

ok who was filming this, Sethy??  You think you guys could have used a better camera instead of the one on your flip phone?  ;D

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2011, 05:10:58 pm »
sweets & mrs sweets and TMUL-look forward to finally meeting you!

lily - PM sent. if anyone else is around, hit me up via PM.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2011, 09:38:22 pm »
Chuck Brown ;D
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2011, 04:44:47 pm »
i had a blast last night.  the band did a few things to mix it up - for example, the first song being a regular full-band affair instead of the traditional rob-n-eric duo-only - but all in all, it was a standard TC show.  as mentioned previously this is a good thing in my books.  i thought the set was surprisingly light on new stuff - 4 tracks, maybe?  i was expecting more from the new album.  highlight was definitely when chuck brown came out.  the place just about blew up with DC love  :-*

speaking of the place, i really like the venue - IMP, please book more shows there!  location is convenient and has a nice view of the harbor and the sunset.  lots of choices of where to sit or stand; we camped out in a "court-side box" so we had a great & slightly elevated view of the stage with lots of room to dance.  as usual IMP staff made it an awesome experience.  only minor complaint was that beer/bar lines got pretty long.

The Arkives and Funk Ark did a really job warming up the crowd.  funniest moment came when Funk Ark intro'ed a song as a sing-along and asked "is DC a singing kind of town?!?", trying to pump up the crowd.  the response was a clear "NO" from several different directions ;D

what a perfect way to spend a beautiful saturday evening: outside, nibbling on some tasties while enjoying good live music.  and since i know people want to know: i had a trio of curries that were excellent, while the missus was quite pleased with her fancy bbq pork sandwich.  based on our two dished and the queues i'd say the food trucks were a hit.

(nice to meet you, lily!)
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2011, 05:58:27 pm »
thanks for the report on the venue.. i hope they'll  book some shows there before it gets too cold...

lily1

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2011, 08:57:55 pm »
great show. great venue. great management by the staph. very fun evening and strong performance by tc.
thanks seth for putting this on! i loved only walking a few blocks home and my friend appreciated that the show was on the early side as he's marathon training and was set to run 20 miles at 6 am this morning!

i loved that there was lots of room to dance but if you wanted to take a seat or smush up towards the front you could. really great layout.

i only counted 4 songs from the new album. where was sistah pat? chuck brown-its about damn time they brought him out on the stage to do "numbers game." that was fanfeckintastic seeing him up there.

only gripe-no free water like at the club. some industrial size water containers like the black cat has would have been most welcome.

sweets-good to meet you; next time we'll coordinate better!

« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 09:00:31 pm by lily1 »

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2011, 09:57:00 pm »
How much was beer?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2011, 11:27:10 pm »
last thoughts/observations:

hey seth/IMP, any feedback from the venue owners/operators?  did they express interest in having more shows there?  i certainly hope so.

describing kastles as a "stadium" is a bit of a stretch - i've been to high school football venues that are bigger.  it's made out of aluminum scaffolding, just like in HS (omg, i'm totally going to make out under them!!!).  some, if not all, of the seating structures are moveable, for example the removed a baseline seating section/scaffold to make room for the stage. 

the seating structures are covered in vinyl netting, i.e. sound travels right through them.  if you don't want to pay for a ticket, or are only interested in catching a few minutes of a show for free, you can hear really well from the sidewalk or boardwalk.  you won't be able to see the stage, naturally.

How much was beer?

$8 for 16 oz of draft (shock top, BL), same for 16 oz cans of stella.
<sig>