Author Topic: thoughts?  (Read 4143 times)

ggw

Re: thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 12:19:00 pm »
The so-called "Pitchfork Effect" is greatly exaggerated.  For every Arcade Fire or Clap Your Hands, there are five other albums to which Pitchfork gives ~9.0 ratings that don't turn into indie blockbusters.

That being said, exposure in Pitchfork certainly helps.

thingsfallapart

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 01:43:00 pm »
Wow that's a pretty impressive story.

dfmcpete

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 02:24:00 pm »
Has there never been a Pitchfork profile before? I liked the piece; J. Freedom's alright, though maybe it could have been published, I dunno, within a few weeks of SXSW (did he need that Gaskets followup?).

The pitchfork effect may be exaggerated, but for unknowns it's pretty strong. I don't think they had much to do with propelling Modest Mouse's career, and they occasionally dig stuff that doesn't get huge, but they occasionally dig very inaccessible stuff, so...

I thought poor Travis came off as a little whiney, though he may be right - that review was a hit piece and the album isn't 0.0 worthy.

Chromie

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 02:29:00 pm »
I don't have an opinion on Pitchfork but I DO know who The Gaskets are and I don't think they will be the next Arcade Fire. Although they do put on a fun/funny live show.

bearman🐻

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 02:38:00 pm »
I think that anybody who bases their entire musical taste off of what Pitchfork (or any music reviewers) says doesn't truly love music (or doesn't have their own taste and has to rely on what others say for what is cool and new). And I say that as a writer for big yawn. If you love music and love to write, it makes sense to write what you think, but it's just an opinion. But this whole crap about being "brutally honest" is ridiculous when you're writing an opinion. You may write what you feel, but it's all well and good until one sits down and actually TRIES to write a piece of music and then play it. Granted, it's not brain surgery, but it's hard enough to put your blood, sweat and guts into a piece of music only to have some elitist poseur trash it and be smug about it, simply because he/she writes for something like Pitchfork. The best thing about Pitchfork is their daily news because they get a pretty good scoop on things, but I always take their reviews with a salt mine.

Bags

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 04:38:00 pm »
I agree with bearman pretty much across the board.  I check out the news (though not regularly, in fact I don't think I've looked at Pitchfork in about 6 months -- I used to look for early tour information).  And the site was a good way for me to know what was newly released.  It's not all that useful for me, though, and enough reviews are hauty and "indie myopic" to the extent that I've no interest in reading them.  Sometimes you gotta check out a 0.0 or a 9.9 just to see what they loved/hated.

For me, it's a combination of all sorts of sources of opinion and recommendation, as discussed in another thread.

Still, I thought the Post article was a cool read, a little 'behind the scenes', if you will.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 07:02:00 pm »
Have to say that I fully agree with you Bearman and Bags down to every last word. (Not sure about that article though only because I didn't bother to read it.) Pitchfork is helpful to a point, if that's what you are looking for, but it's not Bible-like material. Of course, anyone who knows me well enough knows that I fully profess marching to the beat of your own drummer. A little helpful guidance by others is great. It's when you stop thinking and making someone else your sheppard, you're only allowing yourself to become nothing but some faux hipster sheep.

ggw

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 05:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by Monad:
  I don't have an opinion on Pitchfork but I DO know who The Gaskets are and I don't think they will be the next Arcade Fire. Although they do put on a fun/funny live show.
SA 5-27
 MIDDLE DISTANCE RUNNER
 W/ GREENLAND
 W/ THE GASKETS  
 9:30PM  $10
 IOTA

Chromie

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 05:53:00 pm »
Ah good detective work!

Yeah I knew about that too. I saw them the last time they were around. Very spastic guys.

clyde725

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 05:59:00 pm »
I agree with Bags and Bearman, in that using pitchfork as a complete guide to what to like is pretty absurd.  And, I'm sure people do that even though they'd probably deny it through and through and most likely don't even realize it themselves.

But, it can be very difficult to learn about music, and in pitchfork's defense, the website has a great layout, is extremely accessible, and is updated everyday.  Plus, its a great thing for indie rock music as a whole.  It gives those indie bands who develop a new sound a chance to be heard.  To say that the writers are pretentious just because they give some bands bad marks is stupid.  That's how opinions work (at least meaningful ones), and yeah, take it with a mine of salt.  My only qualm with pitchfork is the times when they try to be too creative and get sidetracked into other things than the music.

On a side note, I think that Travis Morrison saying that his fans no longer know whether to like him or not because of pitchfork is perhaps saying more about Travis Morrison/Dismemberment Plan than it is about pitchfork.  If the Dismemberment fans were really diehard Travis Morrison fans, they wouldn't care what pitchfork had to say.  Not to start any battles, but maybe Dismemberment Plan never should have been as popular as it was.  Pitchfork giveth and Pitchfork taketh away.

Sage 703

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 06:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by clyde725:

On a side note, I think that Travis Morrison saying that his fans no longer know whether to like him or not because of pitchfork is perhaps saying more about Travis Morrison/Dismemberment Plan than it is about pitchfork.  If the Dismemberment fans were really diehard Travis Morrison fans, they wouldn't care what pitchfork had to say.  Not to start any battles, but maybe Dismemberment Plan never should have been as popular as it was.  Pitchfork giveth and Pitchfork taketh away.
THIS is a really interesting and thoughtful comment, and one I hadn't really considered.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 08:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by clyde725:
yikes ... first off, i wouldn't say that pitchfork "made" d-plan just because "emergency & i" scored a high spot in their best of the 90s list ... a lot of critics really liked them, and they had a ton of support around here

also, while "!" is kind of immature, and "is terrified" isn't quite there yet, "emergency & i" and "change" are two really incredible albums, and most people don't need pitchfork to tell them that .... "spider in the snow" perfectly encapsulates the whole quarter-life-crisis mid-twenties malaise and "time bomb" is just a rediculous song

that said, i don't feel like indie groups inspire the same kind of intense fan devotion that more mainstream groups get (with a ton of exceptions, of course) ... it just doesn't seem like indie fans are as willing to rubber stamp an album and love it just because of the name on the cover (again, a ton of exceptions, just a general trend) ... so just because i'm a big fan of some of d-plan's material doesn't mean i'm going to love anything that travis morrison puts out (and that album really wasn't anything to write home about), and i'd assume that would hold true for a good chunk of his "fans"

maybe i'm way off there, just a gut feeling i have (and you know what stephen colbert says about trusting your gut...)
(o|o)

Bags

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 11:09:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa08:
 maybe i'm way off there, just a gut feeling i have (and you know what stephen colbert says about trusting your gut...)
HA....follow your gut, that's where all the nerve endings are!

i don't feel like indie groups inspire the same kind of intense fan devotion that more mainstream groups get (with a ton of exceptions, of course) ... it just doesn't seem like indie fans are as willing to rubber stamp an album and love it just because of the name on the cover
I agree -- at least it's true for me.  I have several favorite solo artists whose bands do nothing for me, or vice versa.  Certainly I have some music heros who can do little wrong in my eyes, but they are very far and few between.  In fact, I can't think of one band I don't have some disappointments with...(songs here and there that suck to me, blah blah).

clyde725

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2006, 12:13:00 am »
Originally posted by Bags:
  HA....follow your gut, that's where all the nerve endings are!
...And I didn't get that from any book.  My gut told me.

Originally posted by HoyaSaxa08:
 yikes ... first off, i wouldn't say that pitchfork "made" d-plan just because "emergency & i" scored a high spot in their best of the 90s list ... a lot of critics really liked them, and they had a ton of support around here
This isn't to say that D-plan isn't a great band, although, I admit it isn't my cup of tea. But, don't you think Travis Morrison saying that people who thought they liked his solo stuff yet changed their mind when they heard the pitchfork review questions the validity of their fondness for the original D-plan?  I feel like it does a little bit.