Author Topic: REM=DEAD  (Read 16403 times)

Brian_Wallace

Re: REM=DEAD
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 03:58:52 pm »

R.E.M. are one of the greatest bands ever just for this quote from Michael Stipe: "?I've always referred to the Beatles as elevator music, because that's exactly what they were."

Brian

hutch

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 04:03:34 pm »
On a road-trip down to Georgia earlier this year, I listened (in chronological order by release date, of course) to every album from Chronic Town through Document.  It was awesome.  The band started to lose me with Green (which i find kind of hit-or-miss) and completely lost me with Monster.   Haven't really cared for anything they released after that.  Maybe some of it is "good" or "interesting" but I think it all pales in comparison to those first seven albums (five albums, an EP, and a compilation if you want to get technical about it).

I think "Green" and "New Adventures In Hi-Fi" are really underrated.  Especially "Green."  The singles are probably my least favorite songs on that album.  "World Leader Pretend".  How can you declare an album "hit-or-miss" that contains one of the best first lines ever ("I am not the type of dog that could keep you waiting for no good reason/Run a carbon-black test on my jaw and you will find it's all been said before.")  Top THAT lyric, Bono!  You can't!  You just CAN'T.  I don't care if you cure cancer/successfully convince the world you're not bald and 5'4".

Jeez.  I have to listen to "I Remember California."  RIGHT NOW!  That's one of the great lost R.E.M. songs.  You either get that one or not.  So mysterious and evocative.  Like a Steely Dan song, if Steely Dan had surfed.

Brian

world leader pretend is great but stand is an abomination.. thats why its "hit or miss", no?

evilizac

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 04:05:55 pm »
. . . I still smile when I hear Don't Go Back to Rockville . . .
I loved when the Comcast was playing old Rockpalast and they had their set and Michael climbed on some large hairy sweaty German man at the front of the crowd while singing behind closed doors . . . Awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJKOb_rQVvY&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLA5FA758BE40D31A5
WHAT?

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 04:13:51 pm »

R.E.M. are one of the greatest bands ever just for this quote from Michael Stipe: "?I've always referred to the Beatles as elevator music, because that's exactly what they were."

Brian

Wow. I just developed a whole new respect for Stipe and REM.

hutch

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 04:22:20 pm »
I still vommit when I hear Shiny Happy People.

wml7

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2011, 04:25:35 pm »
They were one of my must see bands and first time I saw them was in New Orleans for Voodoo Fest and it was awesome.  Saw them again at Merriweather like two years ago.  Always an entertaining live show  ;D

evilizac

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2011, 04:25:50 pm »
That too . . . Green is alright . . . awesomely alright. Pop song 89 playing right now. In my itunes it's the first of their albums that's classified as "Alternative". . . just an aside.
WHAT?

ggw

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2011, 04:28:33 pm »
On a road-trip down to Georgia earlier this year, I listened (in chronological order by release date, of course) to every album from Chronic Town through Document.  It was awesome.  The band started to lose me with Green (which i find kind of hit-or-miss) and completely lost me with Monster.   Haven't really cared for anything they released after that.  Maybe some of it is "good" or "interesting" but I think it all pales in comparison to those first seven albums (five albums, an EP, and a compilation if you want to get technical about it).

I think "Green" and "New Adventures In Hi-Fi" are really underrated.  Especially "Green."  The singles are probably my least favorite songs on that album.  "World Leader Pretend".  How can you declare an album "hit-or-miss" that contains one of the best first lines ever ("I am not the type of dog that could keep you waiting for no good reason/Run a carbon-black test on my jaw and you will find it's all been said before.")  Top THAT lyric, Bono!  You can't!  You just CAN'T.  I don't care if you cure cancer/successfully convince the world you're not bald and 5'4".

Jeez.  I have to listen to "I Remember California."  RIGHT NOW!  That's one of the great lost R.E.M. songs.  You either get that one or not.  So mysterious and evocative.  Like a Steely Dan song, if Steely Dan had surfed.

Brian

I'll gladly give you I Remember California, World Leader Pretend, Turn You Inside Out, and Orange Crush.  Stand sounds like a crappy children's song.  Much of the rest is just passable and the mandolin and accordion schtick gets a little tiring.

And I find Stipe to be a narcissistic, fatuous ass.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2011, 04:31:27 pm »

I got over that. Now I just get a migraine

slappy

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2011, 04:40:59 pm »

Brian

Wow. I just developed a whole new respect for Stipe and REM.

Well if you like the quote because it's negative towards the Beatles, then you should also know the full context of the quote from Rolling Stone.

''The Monkees and the Banana Splits meant a lot more - and whoever did 'Yummy, Yummy, Yummy,' '' says Stipe, 34. ''That was the stuff I knew and loved.''

I guarantee if forced to be on a desert island with the complete discography of the Monkees/Banana Spilts or the Beatles you're taking the later.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2011, 04:42:30 pm »
Probably. Doesn't make me hate the fucking Beatles any less.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2011, 04:43:57 pm »
The Green tour was one of the first concerts I ever went to. REM did not disappoint. I came across this setlist and its pretty insane. From the Shoreline Amphitheater

1. Stand
2. The One I Love
3. So. Central Rain
4. Turn You Inside-Out
5. Belong
6. Orange Crush
7. Good Advices
8. Exhuming McCarthy
9. Feeling Gravitys Pull
10. World Leader Pretend
11. These Days
12. Pilgrimage
13. Future 40s
14. I Believe
15. I Remember California
16. Get Up
17. Auctioneer (Another Engine)
18. It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

Encore
1. Pop Song 89
2. Fall On Me
3. You Are The Everything

Encore
1. Harpers
2. Begin the Begin
3. King of Birds
4. Strange

Encore
1. Low
2. Finest Worksong
3. Perfect Circle
4. Dark Globe
5. Word Up
6. After Hours
HeyLa

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2011, 05:00:54 pm »
On a road-trip down to Georgia earlier this year, I listened (in chronological order by release date, of course) to every album from Chronic Town through Document.  It was awesome.  The band started to lose me with Green (which i find kind of hit-or-miss) and completely lost me with Monster.

Couldn't have said it better myself.  Green is ok.  Everything that came after is complete garbage.

Their first three full lengths are among my favorite records, though.  They may have been the best band on the planet during that time frame.  Maybe except the Mats.

slappy

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2011, 05:09:50 pm »
Probably. Doesn't make me hate the fucking Beatles any less.

LOL. That's cool.
I just thought some context was needed. If not, it's kinda like digging Stalin 'cause he hated Hitler.

Bagley

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2011, 05:36:15 pm »
Highlights of my REM concert days-

Theme song from Barney Miller,  Dont fear the Reaper, and other requests because they ran out of music (w/ 200 people @ a tiny place in Scotia, NY) 1981

Up front, inside a speaker @ the Boston U. gym- English Beat opened  (responsible for my tinnitus)1983

Best opener ever-  Minutemen @ The Mosque in Richmond 1985ish

Didn't get much better than the Gargoyle EP and Murmur,  as far as ANY "progressive rock" is concerned

RIP