Author Topic: Question about Chinatown bus lines up to/back from NYC  (Read 9607 times)

hutch

Question about Chinatown bus lines up to/back from NYC
« on: October 01, 2011, 03:20:45 pm »
so here's the deal: I have to be in NYC Thursday for a concert at Irving Plaza..I guess its doors 6:30... the last bus I can find to DC is at 11 pm which I fear is too early.. are there any later ones? I'd really like to be back home that night/early morning.

Looks to me I'll have to kill a few hours and take the 7 am one back putting me in DC at 11 am.

Also can you buy a ticket for the 11 pm and if you miss it simply take the 7 am??

Any good places to kill a few hours on Thursday late night?

gaaaaaaaaah

Re: Question about Chinatown bus lines up to/back from NYC
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 03:47:34 pm »
I've never dealt with Chinatown buses, but I know Greyhound has real early morning (1AM) buses back to DC from NYC.

hutch

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 04:29:16 pm »
I've never dealt with Chinatown buses, but I know Greyhound has real early morning (1AM) buses back to DC from NYC.

hmm. i'm not seeing that.. 1 am would be perfect but i am not seeing that.. i don't think they have that.

whoa score.. MEGABUS mus be what you were thiking of..seems like they have a 1:15 am..perfect.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 04:31:14 pm by hutch »

wml7

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 04:36:54 pm »
hutchy for the radiohead show i took the thur 6am bus thru megabus and took the 115am bus back that morning good deal i thought. ;D

hutch

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 04:39:32 pm »
hutchy for the radiohead show i took the thur 6am bus thru megabus and took the 115am bus back that morning good deal i thought. ;D

that is a good deal..its $30 total

i'm going to do just that...

my only remaining issue is the venue itself.. never been there....

anybody been to irving plaza? I understand its run by the dark side...

wml7

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 04:53:28 pm »
Haven't been to Irving but here are some tips on megabus if you haven't been on it before.  The pickup point is Union Station but not right outside.  It's about a 10 minute walk or so from Union Station.  Also the pickup point in NY is quite a hike away from everything.  The Roseland Ballroom was at like 52nd street and the megabus pickup was at 33rd street.  If your show ends at midnight then you would have no problem making it there, walking wise.  I was way up in front for Radiohead so I had to judo chop and give people elbows to get out of there ASAP or I would have been in there forever  ;D

hutch

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 05:16:09 pm »
Haven't been to Irving but here are some tips on megabus if you haven't been on it before.  The pickup point is Union Station but not right outside.  It's about a 10 minute walk or so from Union Station.  Also the pickup point in NY is quite a hike away from everything.  The Roseland Ballroom was at like 52nd street and the megabus pickup was at 33rd street.  If your show ends at midnight then you would have no problem making it there, walking wise.  I was way up in front for Radiohead so I had to judo chop and give people elbows to get out of there ASAP or I would have been in there forever  ;D

all good tips thanks

i will commence judo chop training post kung fu ticketing seminar...

:D

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 05:30:58 pm »
anybody been to irving plaza? I understand its run by the dark side...

yup, seen several shows there - waddaya wanna know?

the claimed capacity is the same as the 930's but sight lines aren't as good from the back.  there is a balcony but chunks of it might be reserved to VIPs.  no risers either, so unless you get balcony rail you're probably better off on the floor.  drinks are spendy and bar have been cash only every time i've been.  

irving plaza is just east of union square, so you'll need to metro or taxi it from and to the MBus drop-off.
<sig>

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 07:11:39 pm »

hmm. i'm not seeing that.. 1 am would be perfect but i am not seeing that.. i don't think they have that.

whoa score.. MEGABUS mus be what you were thiking of..seems like they have a 1:15 am..perfect.
That's strange. Both times I've gone to NYC for shows (once from Richmond, once from DC) I've taken 1:00AM buses (Greyhound. Definitely Greyhound) back right after the show. The trip is a bit rough, and sleeping on the bus sucks, but it's been better than having to book hotels and whatnot. Round trip from DC was like 34 bucks.

James Ford

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 08:00:59 pm »
CAll me crazy, but I can't inagine taking a 1am Greyhound bus from NYC to DC as being better than staying the night in a hotel.

That's strange. Both times I've gone to NYC for shows (once from Richmond, once from DC) I've taken 1:00AM buses (Greyhound. Definitely Greyhound) back right after the show. The trip is a bit rough, and sleeping on the bus sucks, but it's been better than having to book hotels and whatnot. Round trip from DC was like 34 bucks.

wml7

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 08:12:12 pm »
CAll me crazy, but I can't inagine taking a 1am Greyhound bus from NYC to DC as being better than staying the night in a hotel.

crazy  ;D

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 08:56:06 pm »
Oh it's certainly not better.

But I'm cheap.

So it is better.

hutch

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 08:57:31 pm »

I have a kid I have to get back for..

but, having said that, hotels in NYC are Expensive man!

Vas Deferens

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 02:49:32 am »
Don't take the greyhound 1 am bus...they always overbook. The next one is 4 am. Megabus at 1:15 is the better choice but it stops in philly...
(_|_)

azaghal1981

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 07:28:58 am »
Greyhound sucks. Never again!
Chinatown bus made me think I was going to die throughout the trip.
Megabus are OK but it is still a bus and cramped quarters for that long start to get to me.

I am paying the $45ish each way for train from here on out. Sure, it costs more but the room you get, more comfortable seating, fewer smelly people and expediency are worth it to me.

احمد