Author Topic: Question about Chinatown bus lines up to/back from NYC  (Read 9591 times)

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
Re: Question about Chinatown bus lines up to/back from NYC
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 03:14:54 pm »
Irving Plaza has sucky sightlines. As its all ages - people tend to line up early for shows. Most the bars are cash-only but I think theres an ATM on the premises. If youre a fast(ish) walker you can easily get x-town from there and over to Megabus (although I cant remember if their pick up is still on 7th Ave or if theyre on 8th now). Then again - theres some bus that stops at 24th(ish) and B'way. If thats the case - its really close to Irving Plaza.

NQR456L all go into union square - so you can easily make it up there from anywhere downtown. Going x-town is not a good option for late night - best bet is cab or walk. The venue is a LN venue -I avoid it like the plague (not for that reason - but last show I saw there I couldnt see a thing - so rarely go back there).

And if you think the N is a good option to get you back --- DONT. Its one of the worst lines- and if Im in a hurry Id never rely on that past 10pm (its my train line - the yellows are horrendous at night).
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 03:18:42 pm by xneverwherex »
HeyLa

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 03:22:26 pm »
FYI (I cant remember if youre the one who always posts about the shows you recorded/videos, etc). This place will confiscate cameras quite quickly or at least tell you to put them away.

Tickets subject to all applicable facility fees and service charges. Please note we may cancel any ticket orders that exceed the published ticket limit. Tickets may not be available in all price levels and sections. Small personal cameras are allowed in the venue. Commercial photography, flash photography, professional cameras and recording devices are not permitted.
HeyLa

hutch

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 04:46:59 pm »
FYI (I cant remember if youre the one who always posts about the shows you recorded/videos, etc). This place will confiscate cameras quite quickly or at least tell you to put them away.

well i don't think I am the one but this happens to be very useful info for me!

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 10:49:49 am »
if youve got any more specific questions - feel free to PM me. Glad thats of help.

well i don't think I am the one but this happens to be very useful info for me!
HeyLa

hutch

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2011, 03:19:55 pm »
thanks for all the suggestions..

I wanted to add that Irving Plaza blows... they either oversold the show or do this regularly but there were people watching from the lobby! Its like a smaller 930 with worse sightlines- the same amount of people in audience and the second level pretty much every spot with a view was VIP only..perhaps this explains why a 6;30 when doors opened there was a line clear around the block; people knew they had to get in early if they were going to be able to see.. not that i wasn't before but reinforced how grateful i am for the 930... i doubt i'll go back to this venue.

as far as buses..I guess James Ford was onto something.. the megabus was fine on the way up.... but on the way back the 1:15 am was almost torture..took over five hours due to a ridiculous stop- as I'd been warned- in Philly to drop off a few people... the bus was packed too... unpleasant and if I ever do this again I'll come up with something better... also as opposed to the chinatown bus lines i've taken before the megabus drivers seemed dangerous (even though they drove slower!).

on the plus side: great show, got to go backstage and hang with the man himself.....

azaghal1981

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 10:52:49 am »
There should really be a 12:00 or 12:30 train back. Greyhound is just as brutal at night.

Still, I would much rather wait for a 3:00 train than take a Greyhound any time.
احمد

hutch

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 03:34:53 pm »
shit now i absorb the comment about lining up early..

my night would have been entirely different had i done that..

then again i probably would not have gotten backstage...

anybody see detroit rock city? the evening was a bit like that for me.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2011, 10:26:08 am »
cant say i didnt warn you about getting there early :) Im seeing Howard Jones there as I really had to see him again playing his classics. Im already regretting going there, but the one good thing is its during CMJ. I expect it to not be too awful.

HeyLa

hutch

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2011, 10:57:04 am »
cant say i didnt warn you about getting there early :) Im seeing Howard Jones there as I really had to see him again playing his classics. Im already regretting going there, but the one good thing is its during CMJ. I expect it to not be too awful.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

clown who took picture was a second late but I'll take it...

wml7

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2011, 01:47:26 pm »
Forgive me for my dumbness but who is who?  ;D

manayer

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2011, 09:45:51 am »
Greyhound sucks. Never again!
Chinatown bus made me think I was going to die throughout the trip.
Megabus are OK but it is still a bus and cramped quarters for that long start to get to me.

I am paying the $45ish each way for train from here on out. Sure, it costs more but the room you get, more comfortable seating, fewer smelly people and expediency are worth it to me.

is that for amtrak?  must be the weekday prices.  im coming back on a sunday and i couldnt find anything that cheap. 

eltee

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2011, 01:14:57 pm »
I'm curious azag, too...Union to Penn and times?
Hutch, how'd you end up getting back to the bus stop - cab it?
x - I have no idea what you said so I'll have to call you to discuss should I hit NY for a night.

hutch

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2011, 01:28:01 pm »
I'm curious azag, too...Union to Penn and times?
Hutch, how'd you end up getting back to the bus stop - cab it?
x - I have no idea what you said so I'll have to call you to discuss should I hit NY for a night.

I walked both to the show from the bus stop and back..

Its actually a pretty quick walk...

ggw

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2011, 02:08:56 pm »

I'm guessing that's Hutch on the left and Pauly Shore on the right.

wml7

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2011, 03:52:46 pm »

I'm guessing that's Hutch on the left and Pauly Shore on the right.

Nice, I didn't know Pauly Shore was still alive  ;D