Author Topic: Question about Chinatown bus lines up to/back from NYC  (Read 9602 times)

James Ford

Re: Question about Chinatown bus lines up to/back from NYC
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2011, 03:55:08 pm »
I was wondering which one was Starsky, and which was Hutch and was thinking they both looked like Starsky after a night of dumpster diving.

Forgive me for my dumbness but who is who?  ;D

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2011, 03:57:53 pm »
sounds like a plan :) its a good place to hit up for a night :)

I'm curious azag, too...Union to Penn and times?
Hutch, how'd you end up getting back to the bus stop - cab it?
x - I have no idea what you said so I'll have to call you to discuss should I hit NY for a night.
HeyLa

hutch

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2011, 05:51:08 pm »
oh no.. have i revealed too much?

:D

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2011, 07:40:15 pm »
One of the guys from Starsky and Hutch was at work the other day, though I didn't see him. The dark haired one but I bet it's silver now.

I lost track of this thread and have no clue who performed that night.

hutch

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2011, 07:56:16 pm »

I lost track of this thread and have no clue who performed that night.

nobody does other than me!

;D

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2011, 08:19:56 pm »
andres calamaro. ;)

James Ford

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2011, 09:29:32 pm »
So you still work at a nursing home?

One of the guys from Starsky and Hutch was at work the other day, though I didn't see him. The dark haired one but I bet it's silver now.

Jaguar

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2011, 10:20:14 pm »
^ Ha! No... but I still see a lot of old people. All kinds of people, actually. Much, much better environment and circumstances though.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I've ever watched Starsky And Hutch so I don't know if I'd have even recognized him if he walked up and talked to me, which was quite possible that day. In fact, I think Stephen Baldwin did a couple months ago but I'm still not completely certain. 

azaghal1981

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2011, 11:24:55 am »
Amtrak charge $49 each way if you get the tickets far enough in advance. Tickets from Union to Penn and back on the 29th still cost that, for example.

Greyhound sucks. Never again!
Chinatown bus made me think I was going to die throughout the trip.
Megabus are OK but it is still a bus and cramped quarters for that long start to get to me.

I am paying the $45ish each way for train from here on out. Sure, it costs more but the room you get, more comfortable seating, fewer smelly people and expediency are worth it to me.

is that for amtrak?  must be the weekday prices.  im coming back on a sunday and i couldnt find anything that cheap. 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 11:30:27 am by azaghal1981 »
احمد

hutch

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2011, 11:47:02 am »
Amtrak charge $49 each way if you get the tickets far enough in advance. Tickets from Union to Penn and back on the 29th still cost that, for example.

Greyhound sucks. Never again!
Chinatown bus made me think I was going to die throughout the trip.
Megabus are OK but it is still a bus and cramped quarters for that long start to get to me.

I am paying the $45ish each way for train from here on out. Sure, it costs more but the room you get, more comfortable seating, fewer smelly people and expediency are worth it to me.

is that for amtrak?  must be the weekday prices.  im coming back on a sunday and i couldnt find anything that cheap. 

not worth paying $80 more..sorry.

that just makes the cost of attendin the show prohibitive to me...its like add $100 to the cost of the ticket..

for that much i'd rather drive which with gas prices the way they are i would not imagine doing.

i'm just going to hope new york doesn't get anything i must see and i'd say my odds are good.. in last 9 years there have only been two shows that made me go up there

Joao Gilberto .. and boy was that a great decision.

Jaguar

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2011, 11:50:21 am »
^ Don't forget all the crazy tolls! Either way, they get you. Some of those buses are a real deal if you are fortunate enough to live close enough to one.

With that said, I'm with you. Only worthwhile if either you are rolling in money or are going up to NYC for other reasons and packing a show or two in with other activities.

hutch

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2011, 11:56:22 am »
^ you're right..with tolls it would be pricier to drive..

the lincoln tunnel toll i noticed is now $12!!!!!!! i guess that covers gettin in and out but geez..

i think with the buses i made a mistake. .had i not bought the return trip on megabus i could have made the 11 pm on one of the other lines...i'm guessin that would have taken 1-2 hours less due to faster drivin and not stoppin in philly.. also may have had less people... the 1 am is just goin to get a lot of people..its the only 1 am option..there was the yankees game.. etc..

of course if show had run later etc and i did not have a reservation on 1 am i don't think i'd have been let on...

they need a real chinatown bus leavin late...megabus is too darn slow...leaving at 1:15 and gettin in to dc about 6;45 is slow.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2011, 12:23:12 pm »
i think all megabuses from NYC to DC stops in Philly and Baltimore (White Marsh)...
(_|_)

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2011, 05:16:56 pm »
Ive taken megabus a few times. Only had the stop in B'more not in Philly. Never stopped in Philly on any of the bus lines Ive taken. greyhound (peter pan) can have great fares. Last time I got to DC on a $8 fare :) (not even booking it far in advance either).

i think all megabuses from NYC to DC stops in Philly and Baltimore (White Marsh)...
HeyLa

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2011, 05:25:42 pm »
Last time I got to DC on a $8 fare :) (not even booking it far in advance either).

this begs the question: how the hell do bus companies stay in business?  i can't believe that $8 a person pays for gas, staff, and the bus rent/loan.  poeple used to claim that chinatown busses could do $10 to $20 fares because they were money laundering fronts.  i can't beleive that greyhound and peter pan have gotten into the field too.

(why yes, i know it's a thread - but my name isn't jack)
<sig>