Author Topic: Sloan @ Black Cat this Sunday  (Read 5629 times)

xcanuck

Sloan @ Black Cat this Sunday
« on: June 10, 2005, 10:14:00 am »
So who's going to the show on Sunday? I'll be up front for this one. Expect to hear everything from the new singles compilation "A Sides Win". I'm also going to Philly tomorrow to check out the show there.

Bags

Re: Sloan @ Black Cat this Sunday
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 10:21:00 am »
me me me and 9 of my closest friends.   ;)

I've got a ticket to see them in NYC on Tuesday as well, but I think my responsible side will overtake me and I'll miss it because of work stuff.  But, I know myself and I may be SO psyched by the end of the show Sunday that nothing can keep me from the NYC show...

sacriforce

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 12:41:00 pm »
great f-in band. when I first moved to T.O. n 91 they and murderrecords where the darlings of muchmusic. was hoping they'd get much bigger stateside but I guess they never gave a shit

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 08:14:00 pm »
On my way up from Richmond for this show.  Saw them open for Jet a while abck and decided to check them out again.  Very good live show.
FUKIT

Bags

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 02:14:00 am »
20 hours to go!!!

Old 97s tonight was great, by the way...

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2005, 12:10:00 pm »
ahhh i want to be at this SO BADLY
 stupid facking exams

saturngrl

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2005, 12:27:00 pm »
i'm dragging my boyfriend to this tonight.  I love Sloan!  i've never been to Black Cat before.  what's better:  driving or metro??  i'm coming from Alexandria.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2005, 01:14:00 pm »
probably driving... as you might have to leave early and miss part of the set to catch the metro home... then again there are only two bands so it could be over in time, but so very hard to predict at the black cat.
T.Rex

Bags

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2005, 02:16:00 pm »
I agree with Kosmo....why chance the metro's closing time.  It's a Sunday and the show won't be sold out -- parking shouldn't be bad at all.  I recommend looking down 14th street towards S, R, Q etc.  More spaces than the side streets (because you can't park there during morning rush hour) and I think safer (not that I find the area unsafe...).

saturngrl

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2005, 04:30:00 pm »
Thanks for the info!  very much looking forward to the show tonight!

thirsty moore

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2005, 01:22:00 am »
Sloan kicked so much ass.  They are what Weezer wish they were.

xcanuck

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2005, 09:17:00 am »
Last night was just another regular ol' Sloan show - which means that it blows away most bands live efforts. The harmonies were dead on, Andrew's drumming was amazing, Patrick's guitar solos were worthy of Ace Frehley/Angus Young, and Murph was....well, he was Murph.

Personally, I've been a little disappointed by the setlists on this tour. Three songs by Andrew is two too many. They've been playing some obscure oldies that only the real old school fans are going to appreciate. Those could be sacrificed in favour of more from Twice Removed/One Chord To Another.

I think the band was a little disappointed with the crowd's enthusiasm (or lack thereof) judging from a few off mic comments from Murphy. The Black Cat looked only about 50% full.

But when all is said and done, the boys from Halifax sure know how to craft hooky pop and old school rock and roll. Definitely one of the most enjoyable shows I've seen this year.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2005, 10:18:00 am »
how were the capitol years?
(o|o)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2005, 10:37:00 am »
Originally posted by HoyaParanoia:
  how were the capitol years?
Made me wish it had been an "Evening With Sloan"...

Striving to be like Brian Jonestown Massecure without any of the elements that make BJM good, plus annoying between song filler...
T.Rex

thirsty moore

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2005, 10:40:00 am »
Kosmo, I didn't see you.  I saw Bags and Kosmette though.

That was my first time hearing Sloan.  As you can tell from my previous message, I was really impressed.  Any albums to recommend?