Author Topic: St Vincent show ruined by sound mix  (Read 3601 times)

TonyTonorro

St Vincent show ruined by sound mix
« on: November 02, 2011, 08:12:25 pm »
Does anyone else feel that the St. Vincent was ruined by excessive bass that ran all over her vocals and guitar.  Did the guy at the sound board actually think that was the right way to hear her?

Now, I've been to hundreds of shows and I don't expect them to sound like a home stereo, certainly.  But I know sound mixes can be much better.  I've heard both great mixes and real poor ones (like this one).  Sometimes I don't understand what those folks at the sound board are doing.

runwhiteyrun06

Re: St Vincent show ruined by sound mix
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 09:16:31 pm »
 It was bass heavy, but I wasn't overly bothered by it. I was upstairs on the balcony though so it may have been different where you were.

I will tell you what bothered me though : the lights they kept shining into the crowd. There were a couple songs where I had to keep shutting my eyes as seriously bright lights would keep shining right in my eyes.

Overall, I liked her last show at the club better.

azaghal1981

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 09:40:18 pm »
I was not at the show but I find that 9/10 of the time, if Gus (club soundguy) or someone else who works at the club is not manning the board and the band brings their own soundguy/girl, the mix sounds muddy. Chances are that she had her own sound person.
احمد

TonyTonorro

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 09:50:06 pm »
I was on the balcony too.  Yeah, the lights bothered me only slightly less than the excessive bass.  Pretty amateurish I thought.  Reminded me of the old saying in sports:  "Act like you been there before"

notme

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 01:21:51 pm »
best sound i ever heard at 930 with the new pa was when gus mixed kid congo opening for the bad seeds.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 01:29:02 pm »
best sound i ever heard at 930 with the new pa was when gus mixed kid congo opening for the bad seeds.
Holy shit that was a good show. 

Whether the Bad Seeds or Grinderman, Nick is the best performer out here IMO.  Now come back to America, please.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 02:21:59 pm »
best sound at the 930 was jonsi's solo show.  hands-down.  godspeed sounded pretty damn incredible too.
<sig>

TonyTonorro

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 06:37:34 pm »
I know there have been many shows out there that have had great sound.

But why are there shows with bad sound at all?  Doesn't somebody hear it and fix it?  And why is the problem nearly always way too much bass?

A reply from somebody on the club would be greatly appreciated.

kmcass23

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 06:58:49 pm »
wow, this is surprising because my friends and i were in the back of the floor, just to the right of the soundboard and the sound was perfect. my friends even commented on how good it was after, and i thought it was among the best i'd heard at the club. it must have varied GREATLY in other spots if people thought the mix was bad.

Sir HC

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 01:53:22 pm »
Back wall will always suck.  That is where all the bass "bunches up" and kills.  Also, if the sound person doesn't get out of the booth occasionally and check out the sound, the subs can be killing elsewhere while they are in a bit of a null.  And from sound check to show, it can change radically.

It is a hard etiquette question on how to say "hey too much bass" when often they will say that is how they want it to sound (or if it is someone who comes through regularly, you know they know the room and so that is their desired sound).  I have tried subtle, tried "uh the amps are all clipping", or "people have their ears covered" sometimes it works sometimes not. 

Also, sometimes you are so busy breaking down and getting the first acts out and packed that you don't have much time to listen to the show, you were there for sound check, it sounded right and now who knows.

BTW, the new system rules.

salarcon

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 02:49:20 pm »
I think the mix wasn't the best they can do.