Author Topic: cafe saint-ex  (Read 6247 times)

SalParadise

cafe saint-ex
« on: January 12, 2004, 05:59:00 pm »
how is this place? good music?

all feedback is appreciated.

Bags

Re: cafe saint-ex
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2004, 06:05:00 pm »
It was great, and music varied by DJ, but I've gotten some less than stellar reports lately.  More of a 'bridge and tunnel' crowd, if you get my drift, and the music's not as good.  But, that's just what I've heard.  I haven't been in a while.  I loved it in the first months...

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2004, 06:14:00 pm »
Yes, we city folks are so much cooler than the suburbanites, aren't we? Willing to put up with higher taxes and prices for the privilege of being cooler than all those people who take the tunnel to get into the city.

I was there one time and they played some good vintage country tunes.

Another time there was a black dude playing Simon and Garfunkel tunes and it was horrible.

Bags

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2004, 06:21:00 pm »
Shutup, Rhett.  You can live on 9th and V and be "bridge and tunnel" as I'd describe it and in my opinion.  Hey, you heard good country tunes, that's all that matters anyway.

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2004, 06:29:00 pm »
Sorry, didn't get your drift. I've always thought "bridge and tunnel crowd" referred to people who don't live in the city. At least that's how folks in NYC use the term.

Does anybody get Bags' drift?

twangirl

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2004, 06:34:00 pm »
The food is good...the chef is Jay Jenc, formerly of Iota Cafe and Greenwood. He definitely knows what he's doing in the kitchen.

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2004, 06:39:00 pm »
I always tried to pin down when it was that he left Iota.

It seemed like the food at Iota dropped off from decent to awful at some point, though I haven't eaten there many times.

Originally posted by twangirl:
  The food is good...the chef is Jay Jenc, formerly of Iota Cafe and Greenwood. He definitely knows what he's doing in the kitchen.

brennser

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2004, 06:42:00 pm »
its a nice space - I went there a few times during the summer with friends - they had just been written up in the Washington Post and I think it had started going to their heads a little - there was also this psycho maitre'd type guy who was taking his job waaay too seriously and generally being rude to everyone

how good the music is depends on who is DJing on any given night but I've heard some good stuff there

mankie

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2004, 06:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
 [QB] I always tried to pin down when it was that he left Iota.

It seemed like the food at Iota dropped off from decent to awful at some point, though I haven't eaten there many times.

What the fuck you doing going to iota...it's in the suburbs isn't it?

SalParadise

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2004, 06:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by brennser:

how good the music is depends on who is DJing on any given night but I've heard some good stuff there
you remember any specific nights being good?

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2004, 06:50:00 pm »
I have nothing against the suburbs, or people who live there. We will be there ourselves before 2004 is over.

City dwellers who think that living in the city automatically makes them cooler than suburbanites...they're the problem!

Iota is the best music club in the DC area. That's why I go there. They could put it in Anacostia and i'd go.

Originally posted by mankie:

[QB] I always tried to pin down when it was that he left Iota.

What the fuck you doing going to iota...it's in the suburbs isn't it? [/b]

twangirl

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2004, 06:55:00 pm »

I've eaten at Iota twice recently and was quite pleased with the food both times. We were on the Cafe side, and ordered from that menu. I haven't had anything from the bar menu in a while, but I'm sure the catfish tacos are still tasty.

Bags

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2004, 06:56:00 pm »
Well, except for that huge pole/barrier in the middle of the room.

Staff is awesome, especially one weekday bartender....don't know his name.  

Iota is the best music club in the DC area. That's why I go there. They could put it in Anacostia and i'd go.

[QB]

[/b]

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2004, 06:58:00 pm »
My little secret I'll share with you: Stand in front, or on one side of the pole. Don't stand behind it.

Originally posted by Bags:
  Well, except for that huge pole/barrier in the middle of the room.

[QB]

[/b]
[/b]

J'Mal

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2004, 07:06:00 pm »
That's difficult to do when you keep dancing all around the pole like it's celeste or something.