Author Topic: Pub food/beer locations near the SSFillmore?  (Read 8804 times)

Bagley

Pub food/beer locations near the SSFillmore?
« on: November 18, 2011, 02:19:09 pm »
Any suggestions for casual pre-concert grub and brew?

James Ford

Re: Pub food/beer locations near the SSFillmore?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 02:26:50 pm »
I've never been but from what I've heard/read about the Quarry House, it might meet your wants.
Appears to be closed on Mondays.

http://quarryhousetavern.com/

Here is a place that seems completely out of its element. Within downtown Silver Spring sits a basement bar, hard to find and not even well marked, surrounded by new development and restaurants. Upon entering you realize you are walking into somewhere special.

The atmosphere is a great dive vibe. You're in a basement which could pass for your grandmas house, with a bar, and wooden paneling. The jukebox or tunes pump out something edgy some times giving it a rustic feel.

As for the beer, there is a good solid standard bottle list and it's quite varied. Prices are very reasonable too. Tap selection though is very minimal with maybe 6 offerings and I am sure one will always be Guinness.

That being said chowing down on a burger and some tatter tots while having a few beers is a great way to pass the time. It feels like a secret joint. Come here for the atmosphere and just take it easy.

tooms

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 02:27:02 pm »
Went to the Quarry Tavern before the Ray Davies show.  Dive-ish bar with pretty good food and large beer selection.  And good music, at least the night we went there.

Nigel Tufnel

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 02:36:50 pm »
Rays the Classics has a really good bar menu - great burgers.

http://www.raystheclassics.com/Images/BISTRO%20MENU%204-09-11.pdf

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 02:37:55 pm »
The Quarry House rules.  Decent jukebox, great beer selection and Old Bay tater tots.   mmmmm

imbecile

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 02:53:36 pm »
Quarry House is definitely your best bet.  I used to live not far from there.  I believe they're open every night, at least they used to be.  I rode out all those huge blizzards there a while back.  Can't find information now, but I believe Monday was 1/2 off burger night, which was cool.  Burgers aren't bad at all.  Wednesday (i think) is whisky night where you get maybe half (can't remember) off whisky, and they have a surprisingly huge and well-stocked scotch selection.

Jackie's Sidebar is really good, but a couple blocks walk (8081 Georgia Ave) further past Quarry House.  Cocktail bar, with very limited food options.. but what they do serve is absolutely delicious.

Closer by in the downtown silver spring area is a strip mall Irish Pub type place (McGinty's), which is serviceable and pretty standard.  The best food in that area is certainly Nando's though.

A different option would be to head to Mi Rancho for some delicious margaritas and not-to-shabby tex mex.  Walk down Colesville, cross Georgia, turn right at the Qdoba and up the hill which is Ramsey Avenue. 

If you do head to Quarry House, it's directly under the Bombay Gaylord Indian Restaurant (which is quite good), Langano Ethiopian is a bit further down and pretty good as well.  Whatever you do, don't be tempted to go the Piratz Tavern.  It's sounds like it should be great.. but it's really not.

Yada

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 03:03:25 pm »
Pretty much everything has been covered already, but I'll reiterate.

Quarry House - Good bar food, awesome beer/booze selection, dive bar
8407 Kitchen Bar - My favorite restaurant in SS, killer food, fancier though
Jackies/Sidebar -  Drinks are better than the food
Nandos - Cheap happy hour, outrageous chicken

There are numerous other ethnic spots and chains as well.

jrho

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 03:05:44 pm »
Seconding the avoid Piratz Tavern. Friends who have gone say the service is ridiculously slow, and the food is average to crappy bar food.

Bagley

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 05:03:02 pm »
Thanks everyone.  The Quarry House sounds perfect.  BTW James Ford, found your exact post on beer advocate.  Was that you back in June (smakawhat)?--------

smakawhat ( MD/DC/VA Beer Beltway Bandit, Maryland)

A- / 4.1  rDev -1%
vibe: 5 | quality: 4 | service: 4 | selection: 4 | food: 4 | $$

Here is a place that seems completely out of its element. Within downtown Silver Spring sits a basement bar, hard to find and not even well marked, surrounded by new development and restaurants. Upon entering you realize you are walking into somewhere special.

The atmosphere is a great dive vibe. You're in a basement which could pass for your grandmas house, with a bar, and wooden paneling. The jukebox or tunes pump out something edgy some times giving it a rustic feel.

As for the beer, there is a good solid standard bottle list and it's quite varied. Prices are very reasonable too. Tap selection though is very minimal with maybe 6 offerings and I am sure one will always be Guinness.

That being said chowing down on a burger and some tatter tots while having a few beers is a great way to pass the time. It feels like a secret joint. Come here for the atmosphere and just take it easy.

Reviewed on: 06-17-2011 03:13:03

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 05:14:29 pm »
i don't think james is smakawhat... i believe that is a different person:
http://www.930.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=2643
<sig>

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 05:17:57 pm »
what about places to stay?

two nights of widespread wood . . . and i'll need a place to relax.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 05:25:29 pm »
There's a Courtyard a block from FSS.     And a Hilton and Hampton Inn a couple blocks up Rt. 29.  All within walking distance.  Fairly pricey though.

Yada

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 05:31:19 pm »
what about places to stay?

two nights of widespread wood . . . and i'll need a place to relax.

*wiggles to acoustic jamz**

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 05:45:23 pm »

You are way over your message-board posting quota for the week.  Calm Down.  Enjoy the show.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 06:06:39 pm »

You are way over your message-board posting quota for the week.  Calm Down.  Enjoy the show.

seriously
_\|/_