Author Topic: black keys presale question  (Read 8339 times)

Yada

Re: black keys presale question
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 06:11:36 pm »
so much for the "not ready for Verizon Center" theories

Selling out a pre-sale that prob. had less than 200 tickets doesn't prove much.

I'll eat my words if tickets aren't going for $20 bucks come show time.
It was quite a few more than that.  There are almost 600 posted up at stub hub alone.

You do realize that scalpers put tickets on CL, stubhub, and any other site prior to actually having the tickets, right?
i don't really see you you could do that on stub hub since when browsing the tix you can see what section, seat and row they are.

http://www.stubhub.com/the-black-keys-tickets/the-black-keys-washington-verizon-center-washington-dc-9-3-2012-3866418/

Other sites I don't know about. 

I'm not completely well versed in Stubhub as I don't support scalpers, however, I'm sure there are many ways for large scalping companies to cover their asses if someone to purchase a ticket and then they actually can't supply it.

These won't ship for weeks so I'm sure they have a trick up their sleeve to give you different tickets or give you the right to cancel the order. Who knows?

Yada

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 06:12:39 pm »

was 4000

Hmmm... I find that hard to believe, but since it's coming from you, I guess I'll try to believe it.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 06:17:35 pm »

It was quite a few more than that.  There are almost 600 posted up at stub hub alone.

You do realize that scalpers put tickets on CL, stubhub, and any other site prior to actually having the tickets, right?
i don't really see you you could do that on stub hub since when browsing the tix you can see what section, seat and row they are.

http://www.stubhub.com/the-black-keys-tickets/the-black-keys-washington-verizon-center-washington-dc-9-3-2012-3866418/

I'm not completely well versed in Stubhub as I don't support scalpers, however, I'm sure there are many ways for large scalping companies to cover their asses if someone to purchase a ticket and then they actually can't supply it.

These won't ship for weeks so I'm sure they have a trick up their sleeve to give you different tickets or give you the right to cancel the order. Who knows?

Nope.  I'm pretty sure what you get is actual product.  I've gotten hockey tix there plenty of times.  Always the same drill.  In fact, for a very larg percentage of the tix available for this show you can download e-copies of the tickets right now after purchase.

I don't like scalpers.  But I think you're wrong here...these tix are legit.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 06:32:00 pm »

Wow!  4,000 tix in the presale?   What can the Verizon Center hold?  Can you imagine if it was Adele?  There must be some complicated formula on what to release for pre-sales, venue capacity, perceived popularity, etc.  You want to pre-sell JUST enough to sell out really quickly so the demand increases tenfold for the general.  Ticket people are very smart about this.

Not to be cynical (NO!) and I love the Black Keys, but I think this is partially a "Nature abhors a vacuum" deal.  In terms of "rock" bands having some traction with the general public, we're really at a nadir.  And things may not pick up unless there's another U2/GNR/Nirvana/Strokes moment.  I mean, no offense, but the Foo Fighters are touring like Led Zeppelin and I think 10 times the general public knows "My Hero", "Everlong" or "Big Me" more than anything they've released in the last 10 years.

U2, Metallica, Bon Jovi, Springsteen, McCartney and the Stones aren't touring. The new Coldplay and Red Hot Chili Peppers albums are kind of DOA.  There are worse things than the Black Keys selling out arenas.  But man, did the White Stripes break up too soon!

Brian

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 06:38:15 pm »
I'm floored that over 5,000 tickets are already gone (gotta figure the band presale had a good amount, too).

Depressed, actually.

reggie

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2011, 07:12:39 pm »
black keys have transcended whatever fan base they had 5 years ago and have become something legendary among frat dudes 

biased article:
http://www.salon.com/2011/03/03/grollmus_divorce_from_black_keys/

unbiased article:
http://theblackkeysfanlounge.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/rolling-stones-black-keys.pdf

although, if i only listened to bands that were full of nice guys, there would be no music to listen to.

hutch

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2011, 07:22:35 pm »
they were good at dar but they're nothing i need to see again..their songs don't grab me.. the singer dude sounds very much like paul rogers to me

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2011, 08:01:57 pm »
here's the deal...

bands these days, when they break, it happens on  a bigger scale than ever before

as you recall, we had this same discussion a year ago about Mumford & Sons...I watch the numbers on this stuff with Soundscan etc...it's all there...the numbers start getting so big it's undeniable

unless you track this, which I obviously do for a living, there is no way of realizing that there's this whole other world that has discovered a band besides the core audience you watched grow slowly while seeing them at 930, then DAR, etc

I guess one would call this "the tipping point"

but, rest assured, I like my house and wouldn't want to lose it doing something stupid

vansmack

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2011, 08:03:32 pm »
You should spend as much time picking football teams.
27>34

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2011, 09:34:48 am »
i think it boils down to this

if a person does not like a particular band . . . then they never should become famous or allowed to do anything except work at mcdonalds.

if a person likes a particular band . . . then they better not become famous, because they are "that person's" band to follow from the beginning when all that mattered was that "they" liked them and nobody else did. they put in all the "hard work" of liking the band.  the particular band was important because they liked them before anybody else and now all these other people like them, and it is not fair and i'm not so important any more . . . so now that bands sucks now.  the end.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2011, 12:00:23 pm »
Did ok this morning.  Got lowers.

Driveway

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2011, 05:51:06 pm »
It completely floors me that they are playing at Verizon Center.  All I can say is that they better be REALLY AMAZING.  If they aren't, there are 20,000 people in DC that won't see them again in any size venue.  I wish them all the luck in the world!

notme

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2011, 06:12:25 pm »
and to think they were never on american idol

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2011, 06:41:10 pm »
It completely floors me that they are playing at Verizon Center.  All I can say is that they better be REALLY AMAZING.  If they aren't, there are 20,000 people in DC that won't see them again in any size venue.  I wish them all the luck in the world!

What would you have them do?  Play it safe and book DAR every time they come through?

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2011, 06:49:57 pm »

I never use scalpers.  If I do have to get tickets after market I always try to use something like these guys http://www.ticketsforcharity.com.  At least that way I accomplish two things.  1) I get any extra money to a good cause.  2) The extra money is a tax deduction!
FUKIT