Author Topic: Lana Del Ray...  (Read 9332 times)

vansmack

Re: Lana Del Ray...
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 02:18:56 pm »

Pop quiz.  Which one is Lana Del Rey?[/img]

#1.

#2 is Adele (though a rather flattering photo as the camera is supposed to put on 10 pounds, not take off 25)

#3.  Stevie Nicks.  I kid, though I can't watch her without thinking that I've seen this act before after Stevie left Fleetwood Mac.
27>34

nkotb

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 02:21:02 pm »
I know, right?

#2 is Adele (though a rather flattering photo as the camera is supposed to put on 10 pounds, not take off 25)

azaghal1981

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 03:18:02 pm »
Whoa, the comments on BV are a little brutal and uncalled for. But that is par for the course on BV.

I wondered how much of this she woilingly agreed to and how much she was contractually obligated to go through. Signing your life away kinda sucks.

I do feel a little bad for the girl behind the manufactured persona if she was forced into anything she had reservations about.
احمد

K8teebug

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 10:26:21 am »
I like her songs.  She sounded much better on XMU sessions.  I feel badly for her.

I also don't get why people are so pissed off she's "manufactured".  Who cares?  1/2 of the artists around today are, and people don't complain about them.

I think it's just because it's the first time an "indie" person came on the scene and was a rich girl.  Like vampire weekend weren't a bunch of prep school richies...

But, the SNL performance was really bad. 

stevewizzle

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 10:32:41 am »
most peoples opinion of ldr being manufactured is a manufactured opinion by the music outlets and blogs.

James Ford

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 10:35:41 am »
She's from Lake Placid. How "rich" could she possibly be?

Something tells me a disproportionate amount of musicians, particularly of the indie flavor, probably come from privileged backgrounds.

I like her songs.  She sounded much better on XMU sessions.  I feel badly for her.

I also don't get why people are so pissed off she's "manufactured".  Who cares?  1/2 of the artists around today are, and people don't complain about them.

I think it's just because it's the first time an "indie" person came on the scene and was a rich girl.  Like vampire weekend weren't a bunch of prep school richies...

But, the SNL performance was really bad. 

nkotb

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 10:39:15 am »
I think this is the fundamental problem here.  There's nothing "indie" about LDR...and that's not a good OR a bad thing.  She's a (potential) pop star...there's nothing that separates her from Katy Perry or any other pop female vocalist. And I'm not being too cool for school here in saying that...personally, I"d rather listen to Katy Perry than Arcade Fire.  And that's a fact.

But for some reason, this clamoring to find the next big thing that blogs do translates into some endearment to music fans that want to be ahead of the curve.  So a poor girl like LDR first gets built up in our little indie world with some feverish devotion (BEFORE she even has a goddamn album out), and that segues into high spotlight for someone that hasn't even had to cut their teeth doing this stuff yet.

I'm with K8teebug...I feel badly for her above anything else.  I mean, who among us, after being told they're going to be huge, a star, rich, powerful, etc., WOULDN'T jump at the chance at the ripe old age of 20.

I think it's just because it's the first time an "indie" person came on the scene and was a rich girl. 

Yada

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 10:53:26 am »
██ ████ all ██ ████ is ████ ██ ████ ██ well ██████ ██ ██████ love ██ ████ your ██ ████ ██ government ████ ██

James Ford

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2012, 11:00:20 am »
At the risk of being seen as a loser, I've never had any of those things as a personal goal.  ;)

I mean, who among us, after being told they're going to be huge, a star, rich, powerful, etc., WOULDN'T jump at the chance at the ripe old age of 20.

I think it's just because it's the first time an "indie" person came on the scene and was a rich girl. 

nkotb

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2012, 11:20:47 am »
Ok, let's say someone told you could be a reeeeaaaaalllly powerful and influential statistician.  Would that make a difference ;)

At the risk of being seen as a loser, I've never had any of those things as a personal goal.  ;)

I mean, who among us, after being told they're going to be huge, a star, rich, powerful, etc., WOULDN'T jump at the chance at the ripe old age of 20.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2012, 11:22:23 am »
Ok, let's say someone told you could be a reeeeaaaaalllly powerful and influential statistician. 

or, you know, santa claus. 

equally likely.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2012, 11:28:25 am »
Actually, just ask my daughter. She'll tell you Daddy is Santa Claus.

If I had aspirations to be a powerful or influential anything, would I be spending work time on an internet message board?

I rest my case.

Ok, let's say someone told you could be a reeeeaaaaalllly powerful and influential statistician. 

or, you know, santa claus. 

equally likely.

azaghal1981

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2012, 11:44:18 am »
What NKOTB said.
احمد

Got Haggis?

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2012, 12:56:02 pm »
I saw the 'video games' performance on SNL and while I didn't think it was great, I didn't think it was terrible either (not a fan of her music)  I mean some people are calling it the worst performance on SNL ever......obviously they haven't watched a lot of SNL

I mean....worse than ashlee simpson??? really??

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2012, 02:46:53 pm »
I have absolutely no idea who this person is but after reading this thread, I have absolutely no desire to ever know.