Author Topic: Sh*t People Say in DC  (Read 12013 times)

imbecile

Re: Sh*t People Say in DC
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2012, 01:34:40 pm »
Anyone care to explain what the hell that mambo sauce is and god damn those slice pizzas are huge  ;D

It's a weird barbecue sauce that you find in those shitty wing/chinese/sub carry out shops all over.  Kind of tastes like a combo of siracha/catsup/mayo/bbq sauce.. but all those shops make it a bit differently.  I do a lot of work at gas stations in dc and used to eat at these places all the time; can definitely attest that this stuff has been around for a while.  I just googled it and apparently it's a DC institution and is making great inroads on this side of the river (not southeast) as of late.

eltee

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2012, 02:31:06 pm »
Whenever there's some sort of march, protest or some other sort of rally that the entire world may be discussing, instead of hearing the locals talking about the subject of the rally, more often than not, it seems that instead, they bitch about the traffic congestion that gathering will cause.

Yes, because traffic congestion affects everyone, regardless of lame ass clause, moron. Rallying is lame anyway.
There's a clause?  :o

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2012, 03:08:19 pm »
Whenever there's some sort of march, protest or some other sort of rally that the entire world may be discussing, instead of hearing the locals talking about the subject of the rally, more often than not, it seems that instead, they bitch about the traffic congestion that gathering will cause.

when "lesbians for a glutten-free tomorrow" or "dog-lickers united against tax reform" protest in philadelphia or new york, we understandably don't hear about it.  when they come to DC, and eventually they all do, we are forced to deal with it - it's in our face.  since we don't care about the cause, the only thing left that affects us is the logistical impacts.  just because someone is protesting something doesn't mean we automatically need to be sympathetic to the cause. 
<sig>

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2012, 05:48:38 pm »
Geesh, I can't believe how many of you have totally missed the point!

The video was an informal and comical sociological observation of things said often in DC. No value judgements, just specific types of discussions you would hear in DC. That's it. It has nothing whatsoever to do with whether any of the topics discussed were worthwhile or of interest to all but something, in some manner, would be often talked about in DC. Therefore, YES, what I wrote about would absolutely be 'shit people say in DC.' It doesn't matter why or what people's attitudes are towards the subjects but you can damned sight bet that anytime some gathering takes place, especially a big one, people will be talking shit about it in DC regards to traffic. Plain and simple.

Some of you are over-analyzing and have completely lost the concept of what the video was about.

slappy

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2012, 10:37:42 pm »
I can't believe you guys aren't hip enough to know its just a derivative of this...   ::)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRvJylbSg7o

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2012, 01:55:00 am »
I can't believe you guys aren't hip enough to know its just a derivative of this...   ::)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRvJylbSg7o

trolling fail.
<sig>

slappy

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2012, 09:20:39 pm »

trolling fail.
Indeed it would be, but, there wasn't an attempt to troll.

So it looks like it's now a trolling detection fail.

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2012, 11:45:05 am »
Only thing I found backwards was saying Shaw was upcoming after Columbia Heights...kinda backwards...

Other than that, they pretty much got it all!

How do you figure that?

Shaw was gentrified and hip back in 2003 or so, while Columbia Heights became all the rage about 2 years ago...
3MTA3

Yada

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2012, 11:56:04 am »
Only thing I found backwards was saying Shaw was upcoming after Columbia Heights...kinda backwards...

How do you figure that?

Shaw was gentrified and hip back in 2003 or so, while Columbia Heights became all the rage about 2 years ago...

Shaw, hip in 03'?? Maybe if you were willing to wear a bullet proof vest like Walkie.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2012, 12:29:15 pm »
the only time i want to wear a bullet proof vest . . . is around these parts where i live starting about thanksgiving until God knows when.  everybody who can hold a gun, whether compentent enough to do it or not has one and is out walking/running/crawling around in the woods or wherever the damn thing is running to until it is dead, eaten and the head mounted someplace.  some drink while playing their gun games, which always makes it more interesting for the rest of us.  they sometimes shoot each other and sometimes they shoot from their damn cars not caring what else they might hit.  take that, district.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2012, 08:30:45 pm »
speaking of gentrified, I saw a Rolls Royce double parked a few days ago in the 1400 block of Rhode Island Avenue.  And I don't think it belonged to a pimp.

_\|/_

Stillwater

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2012, 12:03:22 am »

How do you figure that?

Shaw, hip in 03'?? Maybe if you were willing to wear a bullet proof vest like Walkie.

Yeah, I wasn't here in 2003, but I know that when I bought my place on the Logan Circle side of Shaw in 2009, the area was not gentrified and some parts were not walkable.  It is making strides and has improved 200% in the last few years so I think the video is right on...  Down by 9th and Pish where they are rebuilding the Giant and turning multi-city block project housing into condos and commerical establishments will really change the area. 

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2012, 07:34:48 am »

How do you figure that?

Yeah, I wasn't here in 2003, but I know that when I bought my place on the Logan Circle side of Shaw in 2009, the area was not gentrified and some parts were not walkable.  It is making strides and has improved 200% in the last few years so I think the video is right on...  Down by 9th and Pish where they are rebuilding the Giant and turning multi-city block project housing into condos and commerical establishments will really change the area. 

You gotta be kidding.   By 2009 the Whole Foods was already well established, the Bang & Olufsen store was open, and there was a yoga studio every other block.   Your neighborhood is for one percenters who think they're still edgy.   
_\|/_

Stillwater

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2012, 08:39:15 am »
Is 14th Street considered Shaw?

Edit: I guess I was just talking about like 11th/12th over.  Always just considered 14th street to be Downtown, then Logan, then U Street.  If 14th is included than I agree.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 10:02:27 am by Stillwater »

Stillwater

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2012, 08:40:01 am »
Also LOL at a enlisted military guy being a one percenter.