Author Topic: SXSW 2012  (Read 4810 times)

eltee

SXSW 2012
« on: March 12, 2012, 02:12:02 pm »
Each year, SXSW is spoken about less around here...(let the debates pros/cons begin...or not;))
So..I'm not going, but for those who are, feel free to post updates and check in or maybe others will chime in about their attendance status...
Those of us sitting on our couches  -- I'd love to know of any links for live streams. (will have to suffice for actually being at a free day party)
NPR is supposed to stream some shows (will post links later)
Here's one from Daytrotter: http://www.daytrotter.com/#!/live/

I've been ignoring some of the updates around the web until this past weekend. Looks like a lot of artists have already arrived and most seem to have an unofficial show in the works. Always makes me wish I were there for good music, food and day (free!) parties.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 02:15:21 pm by Nomeimporta »

StoneTheCrow

Re: SXSW 2012
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 03:07:25 pm »
I'm going.  First time.  Cant' wait.

Not sure I'll make this an annual event, though.  It's been a hell of a lot of work preparing for it.  Prior to the schedule coming out I spent a lot of time looking into 300-400 of the ~1,400 bands that are scheduled to play.  Keeping track of all the events you have to RSVP to has been a pain in the ass, too. Still trying to finish my schedule for the week with Plans A, B, C and D, just in case I lose out on getting into some of the showcases.

On the other hand, it's been a great way to get introduced to some acts I've really grown to like.  Hopefully I'll end up seeing a couple of them.

nkotb

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 03:15:38 pm »
Probably belongs in the Onion article thread:

Homeless People Turned Into WiFi Hotspots at SXSW

"Homeless Hotspots", which is not affiliated with the official SXSW organization and ends today, has employed 13 homeless people from Austin's Front Steps Shelter by equipping each with a wireless router. According to BBH, the "Hotspot Managers" have been "strategically positioned" throughout the city, offering festival-goers the opportunity to buy access to the participant's 4G network from a phone, laptop, or tablet. Each manager keeps his or her earnings in full.

http://www.pitchfork.com/news/45722-homeless-people-turned-into-wifi-hotspots-at-sxsw/

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 03:40:39 pm »
Probably belongs in the Onion article thread:

Homeless People Turned Into WiFi Hotspots at SXSW

"Homeless Hotspots", which is not affiliated with the official SXSW organization and ends today, has employed 13 homeless people from Austin's Front Steps Shelter by equipping each with a wireless router. According to BBH, the "Hotspot Managers" have been "strategically positioned" throughout the city, offering festival-goers the opportunity to buy access to the participant's 4G network from a phone, laptop, or tablet. Each manager keeps his or her earnings in full.

http://www.pitchfork.com/news/45722-homeless-people-turned-into-wifi-hotspots-at-sxsw/
Sweet Jesus, I saw someone link this on Facebook yesterday and actually thought it was an Onion article.
‼‼?‼‼

eltee

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 07:29:57 pm »
Not sure I'll make this an annual event, though.  It's been a hell of a lot of work preparing for it.  Prior to the schedule coming out I spent a lot of time looking into 300-400 of the ~1,400 bands that are scheduled to play.  Keeping track of all the events you have to RSVP to has been a pain in the ass, too. Still trying to finish my schedule for the week with Plans A, B, C and D, just in case I lose out on getting into some of the showcases.

Exactly what I went through first time, Stone. A lot of work. I ended up not seeing everything, sometimes having to cross town, or even with a badge, you have to show up early to gain entry, etc. But worth it. I saw a lot of friends, artists I've worked with and met a bunch of great people - networking is great. I'd go again but make it more of a vacation, select shows, and a day show or two (not have an Excel spreadsheet with weeks of prep;)). Yet, I understand about the free but RSVP shows - hard to pass up with the great acts and free swag. But in all, I probably wouldn't do the badge again, even though I do want to take some of the seminars and like some of the talks. It's just too hard to do with all of the shows. The food is delicious there!...just try and get some rest when you can, and take some vitamins - everyone on the plane home was sick, including me. I haven't been in a few years, but each update from my friends is they are sick the week after. Let us know what fun you have - enjoy.

wml7

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 08:14:47 pm »
I've always wanted to go to SXSW.  One of these days I'll have to make a trip of it.  Hell I still need to go to Austin City Limits Festival.  I see that this was one of the days entertainment  ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruKGWsS_cqo

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 10:25:01 pm »
I probably wouldn't do the badge again

I already have buyer's remorse.  There's plenty I want to do that won't require one. 

eltee

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 08:02:01 pm »

I already have buyer's remorse.  There's plenty I want to do that won't require one. 
Aw, sorry. Well, you get a ton of stuff when you check in, although, half is pitched. But, check out the vendors, more free stuff. They do have some meet and greets / short shows in the convention hall.  I made it to one (Rhett Miller) and saw the keynote speaker. I expect a big line for Bruce...I don't remember if the poster section requires a badge...I almost wish the convention/seminars were one week, with shows another. Wear comfy shoes, a wind/rainbreaker able to stash in a small pack...The weather goes from chilly to drizzly to warm and humid with dust. The food is fantastic and I think of certain places often. But I already mentioned that...;)

agenthal

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 04:02:44 am »

If you have remorse you are not using your badge right. It's such a luxury.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 06:59:35 am »
The food is fantastic and I think of certain places often. But I already mentioned that...;)

Got any names?

True about the weather and shoes.  The latter can make or break the experience, I hear.

Flying out this morning.  Can't wait.

eltee

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 08:01:31 pm »
Shoes definitely. Their curbs are higher for flooding and it's a total workout. Total geek in running shoes and propping them over a chair at one show, but I had to by day 3...and the wind/rain breaker was the other item I couldn't do without. and light enough to stash.
A friend of a friend made those pocket maps but for the life of me, I never did pay attention to what streets everything is on but here you go: Dona Emilias restaurant on same street / down from Hampton Inn - great fried yucca and plantains, rice dishes (w/ or w/o meat / beans.. even next day). Each day we went to Las Manitas one street over from Hampton - GREAT great breakfast burritos. There's usually a line in the am they are pretty well known...and this from a friend: Las Manitas also does an excellent soyrizo dish....I will find the name of the restaurant we didn't go but recommended from the same friend. it's really popular with a long wait, which is how we ended up at Las Manitas. Jimmy Fallon posted a taco place on his Twitter (I'm guessing it's more if you have a car?)...
Oh and sounds corny, but it's quick and you can grab grocery food - Whole Foods HQ is there and it's right across the street from Waterloo (they should be hosting in-stores)...I'll clean this post up later, sorry it's all over...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 08:08:02 pm by Nomeimporta »

eltee

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 08:06:20 pm »

If you have remorse you are not using your badge right. It's such a luxury.
Pro's and Con's but there is so much you don't need it for now (day = free shows) that the convention itself is going bankrupt b/c no one goes to the talks / seminars. It got me a lot of promtional swag and into a few shows before others - but honestly, only the ones that weren't popular or crowded shows. We had to wait just like anyone else to be let in, or until there was room, etc. - and yes, we waited early for some shows. I did get into some special shows but looking back, I don't think they were badge required, just an RSVP...but I do think it helped in some situations ex: Paste preferred those with badges and I think those who have a subscription. (couple years ago)

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 03:08:45 am »
The badge has benefits -I we cut lines, avoid covers and have seen private showcases. It has definitely helped.

Having a great time. The Korean BBQ food truck was great. Lots of free swag. Free drinks. No complaints.

Just saw Cloud Nothings play a great 1am set. Other highlights:

Alabama Shakes
Father John Misty
The Shins
Fanfarlo
Trash Talk
of Monsters and men

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 03:16:03 am »
Funny you mentioned Paste. We had RSVP'd but they let in 75 people too many so even with email confirmation we waited....and waited.

Keeping track of the RSVPs has been a lot of work to. Can't remember half of them and it takes forever to sift thru emails to find confirmations.

notme

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 04:17:31 am »
i rsvp'd to alot of venues, but when i show'd up there was no list, walk right in. now fader,hype,pure volume all have real rsvps, but who want to wait in a long line 2x's or more. i guess the badge will get you in faster. on another note, jesus and mary chain was hard to get into, but you could pay $20 to the guard at the back door to get in. you could probably do this at all venues.