Author Topic: Booking Questions  (Read 4843 times)

BrettnotBritt

Booking Questions
« on: March 13, 2012, 01:41:12 pm »
So I'm trying to book a band to play in my hometown (complete n00b at this btw), however, I know next to nothing about submitting offers to talent agencies, offer sheets, etc. I already talked to the owner of the venue, and he is down for having said band as long as the guarantee is reasonable and the date they want is available. I have also talked to the talent agency and they are simply waiting for an offer as the band has availability.

The question is: how do I go about submitting an offer to the talent agency? What does it involve, the format, etc.?

Any responses/advice would be much appreciated, thanks.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 02:00:59 pm by BrettnotBritt »

notme

Re: Booking Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 02:00:19 pm »
i thought most bands have talent agencies that tell you how much the band costs. i would bid low and wait for a counter offer.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 02:02:39 pm »
Adhere to the Oxford Format.  1.244" margins font size 11 Calibri, double spaced.

Or just an email that includes a date and a dollar amount.

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 02:05:13 pm »
Adhere to the Oxford Format.  1.244" margins font size 11 Calibri, double spaced.

Or just an email that includes a date and a dollar amount.

Ha thanks. The main problem is the dollar amount - not sure what exactly is a good starting point. The venue is small (300 people) and they're currently not drawing sold out crowds. I just need a good number to start out with I guess.

chaz

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 02:09:14 pm »
Start with what the club owner considers reasonable. Make the offer.  They will either accept, decline or counter.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 03:19:56 pm »
So I'm trying to book a band to play in my hometown (complete n00b at this btw), however, I know next to nothing about submitting offers to talent agencies, offer sheets, etc. I already talked to the owner of the venue, and he is down for having said band as long as the guarantee is reasonable and the date they want is available. I have also talked to the talent agency and they are simply waiting for an offer as the band has availability.

The question is: how do I go about submitting an offer to the talent agency? What does it involve, the format, etc.?

Any responses/advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

Are we related?
😐 🎶

snailhook

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 05:35:22 pm »
Hey man, I've been booking for 9 years and know many of these booking agents well. If you PM me who you're trying to book, where, and whom you're communicating with, I can probably give you some advice.

chaz

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 05:55:18 pm »
Hey man, I've been booking for 9 years and know many of these booking agents well. If you PM me who you're trying to book, where, and whom you're communicating with, I can probably give you some advice.
very nice fella here

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 11:43:36 am »
Long story short, I initiated contact with a band/agent that had avails, however, I was going to be out of town for those dates. Since I could not promote the show without physically being there, I relegated to another promoter that I had met/talked to last month. Apparently they were able to strike a deal as the show has officially been announced, but this person is now taking full credit and left me completely out of the loop despite saying they would when I passed it onto this party.

Color me shocked/confused since I basically hand-delivered the band to this person and they have not emailed me in over two weeks. I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about this as I don't want to sever ties with this individual, but this is some awful shady shit.

And while I'm not promoting the show, the fact that this person is taking full credit is BS. Do I have a case to argue here or just let it go?

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 12:20:12 pm »
I'm sure Lionel Hutz would take your case.

Brett, the state bar forbids me from promising you a big cash settlement. But just between you and me: I. Promise you. A Big. Cash. Settlement.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 12:22:04 pm by HoyaSaxa03 »
(o|o)

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 12:39:48 pm »
Long story short, I initiated contact with a band/agent that had avails, however, I was going to be out of town for those dates. Since I could not promote the show without physically being there, I relegated to another promoter that I had met/talked to last month. Apparently they were able to strike a deal as the show has officially been announced, but this person is now taking full credit and left me completely out of the loop despite saying they would when I passed it onto this party.

Color me shocked/confused since I basically hand-delivered the band to this person and they have not emailed me in over two weeks. I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about this as I don't want to sever ties with this individual, but this is some awful shady shit.

And while I'm not promoting the show, the fact that this person is taking full credit is BS. Do I have a case to argue here or just let it go?

I don't understand the problem.  Were you supposed to get a cut of the $, or something more amorphous like "credit" for the show, your name (or production company name) on the posters?, free tickets?

It's hard to know whether the promoter breached his deal with you, without a clear articulation of the terms of the deal.

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 12:43:06 pm »
To clarify, I'm just looking for some sort of credit, co-billing, etc. It's not even about the money for me, just recognition at the very least.

The event would not be taking place had I not contacted their agency, found out their avails, and passed them onto the promoter after I found out that I could not be in town for the dates they were asking.

I don't understand the problem.  Were you supposed to get a cut of the $, or something more amorphous like "credit" for the show, your name (or production company name) on the posters?, free tickets?

It's hard to know whether the promoter breached his deal with you, without a clear articulation of the terms of the deal.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 03:00:56 pm »
To clarify, I'm just looking for some sort of credit, co-billing, etc. It's not even about the money for me, just recognition at the very least.

The event would not be taking place had I not contacted their agency, found out their avails, and passed them onto the promoter after I found out that I could not be in town for the dates they were asking.

It sounds like you are looking for what is fair rather than what was explicitly discussed/agreed.  The former is not enforceable, the latter may be.   Move on from this experience and get it in writing next time.

**No attorney client relationship is intended to be formed via these message board postings.

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 06:34:01 pm »
if it were me, I would tell this person that next time you will do things without them if this is how you are going to be treated

then make good on that threat

hutch

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 12:26:41 am »
if it were me, I would tell this person that next time you will do things without them if this is how you are going to be treated

then make good on that threat

Listen to this man.