Author Topic: beard-a-thon 2012  (Read 1466 times)

thatguy

• Global Moderator
beard-a-thon 2012
« on: April 08, 2012, 02:45:24 pm »
i know that the caps season was not ideal, but they're in the post season now, so none of that matters. 

it's that time of year again, folks.  the caps have made it into the playoffs, so i have signed up for the annual beard-a-thon.  it's a hockey tradition to grow a playoff beard, and the beard-a-thon allows fans to help raise money for a good cause by asking people to sponsor their beard.  it's a one time donation kinda deal, not pay per inch or anything like that.

i haven't cut my ridiculous sideburns since the caps season started, and i'm not going to cut them until it's over.  i'm also going to let the rest of the beard grow.   if all goes well for the caps that means that i have another couple of months of growth ahead of me.   that should result in a pretty sweet neck beard, a wookiee face, and sideburns that i can tie up under my chin.  you get the joy of seing me uncomfortable and hot, and the proceeds all go to a worthy cause.

this year, the beard-a-thon is benefitting the fuel fund of maryland.  this fund helps out needy families in maryland pay their energy and heating bills.  more info is below.

i know that times are tight, but every little bit helps.  if you have anything to spare for a good cause, you can sponsor my beard by visiting my profile page and clicking "pledge this beard."  the site accepts paypal, or you can use a credit card.

my profile is here: http://www.beardathon.com/capitals/thatguy/profile.aspx

thanks, y'all.  GO CAPS!
josh

Charity

Fuel Fund of Maryland

The Fuel Fund of Maryland provides resources to sustain vulnerable Maryland families through income support for heat and home utility needs. Our donors, board, and staff support and advocate collaborative funding and services that ensure affordable energy to families that must overcome hardship and assist these families to meet their basic needs.

In addition to providing the critical resources necessary to keep the power on, the Fuel Fund works with low-income households to reduce their energy burden, save money, and build self-sustainability. The Fuel Fund?s Watt Watchers program is the ?How To? energy conservation and financial education initiative that teaches families to lower energy costs so that class participants recognize immediate savings on utility bills.

Families who receive help always pay as much of their bills as they are able. The portion that is unaffordable is where your support to the Fuel Fund has a tremendous impact. $.92 of every dollar contributed to the Fuel Fund goes directly to keeping our neighbors connected to life-sustaining energy.

Over the past three years, the Fuel Fund served 20,170 households. Well over one-half of those served by the Fuel Fund on an annual basis are children. Since 2005, the Fuel Fund has served over 112,000 children, which is 54% of everyone served. Ensuring households with children have resources to pay for energy is a priority. Children?s? Health Watch research has made clear that young children in energy insecure homes are at high risk for food insecurity, poor health, hospitalizations, and developmental delays.

vansmack

Re: beard-a-thon 2012
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 05:59:50 pm »
I'm in.  Always happy to help you out!

And with the Ducks out this year, I might even root for the Caps.
27>34

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 06:47:21 pm »
Man for the second year in a row a die hard long time Flyers fan (a.k.a me)  is in for this.  The deal is though that if time comes for the Caps to play the Flyers you do know who I will rooting for.
FUKIT

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 11:15:46 pm »
GO FLYERS 4-3 in OT!
FUKIT

Yada

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 03:33:48 pm »