Author Topic: The unbridle capitalism and naked cash grab thread  (Read 114 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
The unbridle capitalism and naked cash grab thread
« on: July 16, 2024, 02:39:46 am »
look, everyone's gotta make a living.  and if an artist becomes famous enough that attaching their name to a brand is profitable for both sides, then more power to them.  but some merchandizing decisions are, shall we say, ill-advised.

Nine Inch Nails Announce The Downward Spiral 30th Anniversary Dr. Martens
<sig>

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: The unbridle capitalism and naked cash grab thread
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2024, 08:58:27 am »
look, everyone's gotta make a living.  and if an artist becomes famous enough that attaching their name to a brand is profitable for both sides, then more power to them.  but some merchandizing decisions are, shall we say, ill-advised.

As a person who lived thru the prime NIN era, I always thought of Doc Martens more as a “Cranberries gals” thing than a “NIN fans” thing. 
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2024, 09:44:10 am »

As a person who lived thru the prime NIN era, I always thought of Doc Martens more as a “Cranberries gals” thing than a “NIN fans” thing.

As someone who lived through both eras, I always thought it was more of a punk rock thing.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2024, 09:44:24 am »
Celebrity booze is about as mid a thing a famous person can do.
😐 🎶

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2024, 10:08:33 am »
Celebrity booze is about as mid a thing a famous person can do.
they’re just not doing it correctly. Roll out a $600 bottle of cognac, and that’s not mid.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2024, 10:45:54 am »
I don't know what this thread is about, but I still have a standard pair of Doc Martens black boots that are at least 30 years old in my closet. Plus, a brown lower cut pair that look more like hiking boots that at at least 15 years old. Plus, a bunch of other boots that I'm more likely to wear because they are much more comfortable.

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2024, 11:11:02 am »
I don't know what this thread is about, but I still have a standard pair of Doc Martens black boots that are at least 30 years old in my closet. Plus, a brown lower cut pair that look more like hiking boots that at at least 15 years old. Plus, a bunch of other boots that I'm more likely to wear because they are much more comfortable.
As I said, “Cranberries girl”.
LVMH

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2024, 01:23:40 pm »

As someone who lived through both eras, I always thought it was more of a punk rock thing.
for sure, but the industrial/goth crowd wore this footwear a lot as well
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2024, 01:25:36 pm »
As I said, “Cranberries girl”.

i LOLed.
<sig>