Author Topic: Blur  (Read 2528 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Blur
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2024, 06:38:57 am »
Blur didn’t exactly play the most festival friendly set either.. and they weren’t really a headliner either…

But, it would appear by all accounts Coachella is now a gathering of rich influences… and man do I hate that word

Blur definitely faired much better at their warmup gig.  As they would at the Anthem show, had it not been for Biden.  <shakes fist>

It’s more fun watching Grimes getting dragged by actual DJs.  Word is what ever software she uses to auto mix tracks failed on her and she had no backup plan.

T.Rex

Yada

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2024, 08:20:56 am »
Blur didn’t exactly play the most festival friendly set either.. and they weren’t really a headliner either…

But, it would appear by all accounts Coachella is now a gathering of rich influences… and man do I hate that word

Blur definitely faired much better at their warmup gig.  As they would at the Anthem show, had it not been for Biden.  <shakes fist>

It’s more fun watching Grimes getting dragged by actual DJs.  Word is what ever software she uses to auto mix tracks failed on her and she had no backup plan.

Post like it's 2014?

Mobius

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2024, 02:34:23 pm »
What’s the hook? Why would my followers care that I am posting a selfie of me in my cool brand deal outfit at the Blur set?  Is Damon Albarn a celebrity judge on a show? Is he in a tabloid relationship?  Has any fashionable young superstar publicly said Blur is a big influence? Why would anyone on the Coachella universe care?

If I recall Coachella didn’t give shit about the Stone Roses reunion either.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2024, 03:06:16 pm »
Frustrated frontman for rock band that rose to fame in 90s unleashes on Coachella crowd: ‘You’ll never see us again’
https://www.pennlive.com/entertainment/2024/04/frustrated-frontman-for-rock-band-that-rose-to-fame-in-90s-unleashes-on-coachella-crowd-youll-never-see-us-again.html
<sig>

Hutch

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2024, 03:22:36 pm »
You want the big festival paycheck suck it up…you should know what you are getting yourself into 35 years into your career.

They could have easily played places like the Anthem with packed houses, good sound and fans drooling over your every word. But Damon wanted the big paycheck for a one off….

nkotb

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2024, 03:59:14 pm »
This could've all been avoided by Damon realizing his band(s) suck.

Blow, me, Joey

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2024, 07:17:04 pm »
"i like blur but it’s still funny to see a group of middle aged men realise in real time their music is obsolete to an entire generation lol"

--Random post on Twitter

Mobius

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2024, 10:38:07 pm »
Also worth noting Blur were never big in the US. At all.  At their Song #2 US peak in 1997 they were big enough to play Capital Ballroom in DC, Roseland in NYC.

Albarn’s legend has grown, but in the US, Blur’s has not, that I am aware of. 

They really should be a 4pm in a tent band at Coachella

« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 10:54:09 pm by Mobius »

Hutch

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2024, 07:23:21 am »
Very true…

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2024, 08:58:18 am »
So I guess I should count my lucky stars in having seen both Blur and Pulp at what was near to their peaks...  Blur in 1995 on the Great Escape Tour when they had a horn section with them.  Pulp in 1996 on the Different Class tour.

Now it seems that unless either of these do a co=headlining tour ala New Order/Pet Shop Boys, seeing them live will likely involve expensive travel.  A co=headliner tour would likely get us a Blur setlist similar to what they are doing at the moment, which isn't nearly as good as what they did at Wembley. 
T.Rex

Space Freely

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2024, 09:28:16 am »
So I guess I should count my lucky stars in having seen both Blur and Pulp at what was near to their peaks...  Blur in 1995 on the Great Escape Tour when they had a horn section with them.  Pulp in 1996 on the Different Class tour.

Now it seems that unless either of these do a co=headlining tour ala New Order/Pet Shop Boys, seeing them live will likely involve expensive travel.  A co=headliner tour would likely get us a Blur setlist similar to what they are doing at the moment, which isn't nearly as good as what they did at Wembley.

Don't worry Kosmo. That's when some of my favorite bands were at their best, too.

Apparently, we need to go to a Feelies show.

bearman🐻

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2024, 10:12:55 am »

Don't worry Kosmo. That's when some of my favorite bands were at their best, too.

Apparently, we need to go to a Feelies show.

There is no rational or legitimate reason why the Feelies should be as good as they are now, 40+ years on. It's mind-boggling and though I honestly don't think they'll be doing many/any shows in another couple of years, they know they're still good and they enjoy performing.

With a band like Blur (and I saw them in 1994 with Pulp opening...both were amazing), I really do wonder if they actually enjoy what they do, and if they appreciate and realize what they do best. Looking at that setlist from Coachella, the answer I have is probably not. I think Blur is a really good band. At one point, I thought they had a trajectory like the Kinks or maybe even the Jam...you couldn't be more Anglo, but still find a dedicated and loyal US audience. Maybe not a huge one, but one that appreciated them. What I find odd is that Coachella started off by booking bands LIKE Blur back in 1999. So much has changed in 25 years, and so why would they even bother booking them? That's not an audience that turns up for music anymore. But the fact that only 80% of tickets sold shows to me that Coachella has started to lose its focus. Someone told me where they really make money is on global streaming, but if you don't book the bands that get people to show up, that really doesn't make it a true world-class festival anymore. I stopped going when they made you purchase 3-day tickets. I don't want to be around that many people for 3 days in a row. But to me this year's lineup made me start to question the business sustainability of festivals. Lollapalooza's this year is an absolute joke. Like all things that become a brand, at some point it might be wise to discontinue them instead of trying to reinvent them. You can only do that so many times before it becomes a parody and pale shadow of what it used to be. And it's not just because they're artists I don't care for (or that I don't even know). The social media component of everything is exactly why a Fyre festival happens. It's all about people wanting to be part of something not for the experience, but the perception of it.

Space Freely

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2024, 10:18:55 am »
I'm not sure where you're getting the 80% ticket sales number. I think I read the first weekend was sold out and the second weekend was not.

Perhaps they should just make it a one weekend festival, rather than repeating the same festival with the same bands two weeks in a row.

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2024, 10:44:28 am »
rather than repeating the same festival with the same bands two weeks in a row.
is that actually what they are doing or is this a Spaceism
slack

bearman🐻

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2024, 10:49:26 am »
I'm not sure where you're getting the 80% ticket sales number. I think I read the first weekend was sold out and the second weekend was not.

Perhaps they should just make it a one weekend festival, rather than repeating the same festival with the same bands two weeks in a row.

Billboard posted that. I'm just going by what they said.