Author Topic: The "Do we need a Russia/Ukraine/WWIII thread" thread  (Read 36100 times)

Re: The "Do we need a Russia/Ukraine/WWIII thread" thread
« Reply #165 on: June 24, 2023, 07:22:36 am »
This doesn’t sound good to me

There will be no presidential elections in Ukraine until the end of the war, stated President Zelenskyy.
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #166 on: June 26, 2023, 02:45:39 pm »
This doesn’t sound good to me

There will be no presidential elections in Ukraine until the end of the war, stated President Zelenskyy.

yeah it's not a great headline, but it's standard fare for a country at war.  martial law (which Ukraine is under) = suspension of some aspects of democracy, which often includes elections.

how the hell are you supposed to hold free and fair elections in a country that is actively and randomly being bombed?  guaranteed that the rooskiyz will target voting centers, thus making voting a risk to the public.  also, the threat of violence is uneven across the country: voters in the safer western and northern areas would have an easier time getting to the polls than those in the south and east, thus giving them a bigger sway in election outcomes.  for this and many other reasons, any election results would be rightly criticized as unfair, unrepresentative, etc.  best alternative, for now, is to stick with the results of the last valid election.

besides, zelensky's approval ratings are north of 80%.  there is no question who would win.  so skip the distraction of trying to campaign while leading the biggest war since 1945, and get on with the task of dealing with the russian infestation.  i have zero doubts that elections will be one of the first orders of business after liberation.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #167 on: August 12, 2023, 12:50:19 pm »
<sig>

Hutch

« Reply #168 on: December 06, 2023, 08:45:27 pm »
So it’s over? We win?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #169 on: December 06, 2023, 10:36:37 pm »
So it’s over? We win?

unfortunately not, but anything in particular giving you that impression?

perhaps it's the GOP unwilling to support Ukraine, so one has to assume that we've won since why else would they not support something that they have always supported??
<sig>

Hutch

« Reply #170 on: December 07, 2023, 08:59:02 am »
Oh…I saw the Ukraine thread on page 7 and assumed the war was over and the good guys 🥇!

heilung4eva

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #171 on: December 07, 2023, 09:38:21 am »
Oh…I saw the Ukraine thread on page 7 and assumed the war was over and the good guys 🥇!

We just got so caught up in the Annie Mae news that it didn't seem that important anymore.

Hutch

« Reply #172 on: December 07, 2023, 09:52:24 am »
Well…yes…Annie Mae, what can I say other than I will no longer tune in to Caps games and instead watch Fox 5!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #173 on: January 11, 2024, 08:03:02 pm »
... *sigh*... looks like we need to add Yemen to the list of potential WW3 incubators...
<sig>