Author Topic: Virgin Freefest 2012  (Read 121371 times)

Got Haggis?

Re: Virgin Freefest 2012
« Reply #420 on: October 08, 2012, 09:05:20 am »
my friends that attended the sweetlife festival said there were a bunch of 15 year olds doing coke in the bushes by the upper part of the lawn. 

i was sitting in the pavilion for animal collective earlier in the week.  during michachu and the shapes, it seemed like just about everyone in the pit lit up a joint....can't remember the last time i smelled so much weed.

what is going on with this generation

damn i'm old

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #421 on: October 08, 2012, 09:21:34 am »
The mall probably disallowed parking because it was Columbus Day weekend, during which many stores like to hold sales. No big advertised sales between Labor Day and today.
😐 🎶

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #422 on: October 08, 2012, 09:26:01 am »
i was sitting in the pavilion for animal collective earlier in the week.  during michachu and the shapes, it seemed like just about everyone in the pit lit up a joint....can't remember the last time i smelled so much weed.

Ah, the good ol' days!

what is going on with this generation

damn i'm old

Yes, you are. Believe me, not that much has changed other than it's generally gotten much, much tougher to get away with that anymore.

I'll remember to steer well clear of your lawn, old man.  ;)

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #423 on: October 08, 2012, 09:39:13 am »
Got there in time to run in and see Das Racist but as we were parking I checked Twitter and saw that they tweeted out that they were sick, then I saw a couple blogs post that they had broken up the night before. Total bummer.

What I noticed almost immediately was the "EDM" crowd, and by that I mean a bunch of underage kids wearing bright shit or almost nothing. I hate that crowd. I also felt like it was a lot less crowded than the last time I went.... It was fairly easy to get up front for Santigold and Nas and then get over to the Pavillion and was able to walk down and score seats on the side section for ZZ Top and Jack White. I'll say that the bathroom lines were absolutely insane, then it seemed that when the sun was going down that the food lines were insane.

The sound was terrible for Nas, Santigold had a great set, but the crowd seemed a little out of it. ZZ Top was awesome, it was a shame how many people around me were just sitting through it to see Jack White. I thought the last 20 or 30 minutes from ZZ Top was pretty great though. I loved Jack White, decided to leave before his encore to beat the crowd and it proved to be pretty easy to walk out and get on the highway without hitting any significant traffic. I had a blast, love Jack White, everything else was just icing on the cake. Did anyone take advantage of any of the Foursquare deals? There were certain places around Merriweather that you could check in and get a free beer or a free shirt. By the time I made it to the bar though they said that they were done with the beer offer. :(
‼‼?‼‼

Yada

« Reply #424 on: October 08, 2012, 09:39:54 am »
Too many old curmudgeons on this board.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #425 on: October 08, 2012, 09:44:56 am »
I wouldn't really call it an encore...it was like a 2nd set...7 songs.

I loved Jack White, decided to leave before his encore to beat the crowd and it proved to be pretty easy to walk out and get on the highway without hitting any significant traffic. I had a blast, love Jack White, everything else was just icing on the cake. 
(_|_)

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #426 on: October 08, 2012, 09:53:18 am »
Enjoyed the freefest.  I really was attending to see Ben Folds Five.  Arrived at 1:30, parked at the Mall despite the signage prohibiting same, saw part of Portugal, the Man.  Enjoyed it, but I think I need to see it indoors, in the dark.

Then had $9 pizza. No line for that. Enjoyed thee $9 pizza, despite its being $9.

Watched Trampled by Turtles from the pavilion and enjoyed them. Great banjo and fiddle action.

Stayed for Ben Folds Five and enjoyed that as well.  Lots of old stuff: Jackson Cannery, Underground, Song for the Dumped, Kate, Army, Magic, a few new songs, at least one Ben Folds song (Landed). Then I left.  

As I was leaving, I saw Thatguy securing the area while Seth and a few other folks were loaded onto a lift and taken to the roof of the pavilion. Goodtimes.

There were lots of people wearing animal-headed outfits and other crazy stuff; kids these days.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #427 on: October 08, 2012, 10:13:53 am »
I wouldn't really call it an encore...it was like a 2nd set...7 songs.

I loved Jack White, decided to leave before his encore to beat the crowd and it proved to be pretty easy to walk out and get on the highway without hitting any significant traffic. I had a blast, love Jack White, everything else was just icing on the cake. 
Yeah, I was walking out at 9:51 and knew his set was scheduled to 10:20 so I figured it'd be a solid chunk. It was also freezing and I was in shorts and a tee shirt. Cripes the temperature drop was pretty drastic!
‼‼?‼‼

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #428 on: October 08, 2012, 10:18:04 am »
What I noticed almost immediately was the "EDM" crowd, and by that I mean a bunch of underage kids wearing bright shit or almost nothing. I hate that crowd.

http://www.hipsterrunoff.com/2011/09/bro-dubstep-shirt-eats-chilis-has-dubstep-gone-mainstream-dubstream.html
(o|o)

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #429 on: October 08, 2012, 10:25:02 am »
people who look at other people's clothing for the judging ability of those people, and to write articles about those people so other people can also learn to judge even more people by the clothes on such people.

please kill these people.  kill them fucking dead.  they do not have the proper clothing on.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #430 on: October 08, 2012, 10:35:05 am »
I saw a couple walking around and the guy had a shirt that said "HYFR" and the girls shirt said "YOLO", I just think it's lame. The ironic shirts or almost any graphic tee I think is lame. That's just me, they might be awesome people, they just dress like idiots. Also, this couple didn't look like a couple of kids either, which makes it worse.... they should know better.

Anyone see the guy walking around with the giant deadmau5 head on?
‼‼?‼‼

hemisphire

« Reply #431 on: October 08, 2012, 10:50:53 am »
I enjoyed the fest.  Got there during Ben Folds Five, enjoyed them and Alabama Shakes.  Had a 15 minute wait to get a cocktail at 9:32 (longest wait I've ever had there), only time I got in line (thought we'd have access to the food truck).  ZZ Top was amazing, went down in the pit for them.  Liked Jack White quite a bit, but it was getting pretty chilly towards the end.

Yada

« Reply #432 on: October 08, 2012, 10:52:05 am »
What I noticed almost immediately was the "EDM" crowd, and by that I mean a bunch of underage kids wearing bright shit or almost nothing. I hate that crowd.

http://www.hipsterrunoff.com/2011/09/bro-dubstep-shirt-eats-chilis-has-dubstep-gone-mainstream-dubstream.html

molly and cocaine will make you do strange things.

:o :o

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #433 on: October 08, 2012, 11:37:05 am »
I had no idea Jack White traveled with all male and all female bands and chooses the day of which he's going to be playing with that night..... How weird.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/08/virgin-freefest-2012-photos_n_1947127.html#slide=1613794
‼‼?‼‼

Sir HC

« Reply #434 on: October 08, 2012, 12:00:38 pm »
Shirt of the day: