Author Topic: Letter to Emily White at NPR All Songs Considered.  (Read 2221 times)

Thousand Made-Up Loves

Re: Letter to Emily White at NPR All Songs Considered.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 01:33:52 pm »
I'm more offending NPR is wasting internships on someone who wants to work in the music biz. Funny she wants to do that considering she just ruined any chance of that happening by bragging about never buying music.

showlistdc

• http://www.showlistdc.com
    • Comprehensive DC-area concert calendar

bellenseb

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 02:25:45 pm »
I have sympathy for some of Lowery's points, but I also get the feeling that he and the NPR intern are talking past each other, with Lowery facetiously asking how hard it is to type in an iTunes password and the intern basically saying the whole concept of music ownership is increasingly moot to her and her generation, as hard as that is for many to get their heads around.

I've increasingly wrestled with the point of "obtaining" music (paid or otherwise) as the marginal utility of doing so gets smaller and smaller every day. I want to support my favorite artists, but when the transaction comes down to "I don't even want this thing, but this economic transaction is actually about something else" that's not really sustainable. I do still buy downloads because, I guess, i can listen when the subway goes underground and there's no internet connection? But Spotify allows you to synch playlists offline, so there goes that line of reasoning, right?

In any case, it's been fun reading endless pages of people being self-righteous about their music collections!

K8teebug

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 02:30:37 pm »
I have bought 90% of the music I own.  Sure, here and there a friend made a tape for me, or burned a cd for me, but I've never taken an album from the internet.

I.

am.

old.

But, I still like buying cds and vinyl.  That will never change.

K8teebug

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 02:31:18 pm »
I have listened to albums on the internet streaming though...but if I like it, I always buy the album.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 05:23:17 pm »
i like to listen to music.  always have.  always bought it.  refused to download.  cd king over here.  now i don't.  not sure what happened.  just listen now.  sirius or pandora.  i can't even tell you how long it has been since i "bought."  and concerts.  god i love concerts.  i like to stare at the people who go to concerts.

i'm old, youngly.