shemptiness

Re: A Various Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #990 on: February 18, 2013, 11:03:31 pm »

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #991 on: February 19, 2013, 04:22:28 am »
Listening to Ibrahim Ferrer tonight....

this still bugs me! boy am i glad we don't live under the Republicans..Bush was an abomination.

worse. president. ever.   

or at least in my life.

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0206-11.htm

Does sound pretty messed up.  It would be interesting to hear the justification.  Bush is not as bad as Obama but then again that is like saying the common cold is not as bad as cancer.
FUKIT

azaghal1981

« Reply #992 on: February 19, 2013, 09:58:37 am »
Hey look. Ratbastard and a prominent "liberal" politician may agree on something.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/feb/19/pop-quiz-drones-assassinations-obama

احمد

atomicfront

« Reply #993 on: February 19, 2013, 10:25:22 am »
Politics bore me right now.  The election is over.  Obama is at least trying to raise the minimum wage.  The republicans are a complete disaster.  They block the domestic abuse bill, they try to block raising the federal workers pay by half a percentage.  I am sure they will block raising the minimum wage.  They should just go away and another alternative party should come and replace them.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #994 on: February 19, 2013, 11:06:39 am »
Bush is not as bad as Obama

and then you wonder why we can't take anything you say seriously.

bush: started a WAR because it would please his daddy (explain that to the families of the thousands of soldiers that have died in iraq).  illegal wiretaps = PROVEN erosion of constitutional rights (for the under-informed right-wingnuts, it's the right against unreasonable search and seizure).

obama: ensure that you have healthcare and *might* do something about automatic weapons, at some point. 

yeah, really valid comparison.  you keep your beliefs, RB, the liberals will keep running the country.  enjoy  :-*
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #995 on: February 19, 2013, 01:04:45 pm »
Where did you read that Bush started a war to please his daddy?

I've heard that opinion before, but I've never seen the scientific evidence behind the statement.

azaghal1981

« Reply #996 on: February 19, 2013, 01:45:43 pm »
It was more Rumsfeld/Pearl/Wolfowitz pushing for war with Iraq than anybody else. Bush was just the first president to come along that they could use as their hand puppet. He did utter that "he tried to kill my daddy!" line but I was never sure that there was more to it than that either.
Obama has also not been much of a friend to civil libertarians.
With that said, the next president to be worse than Bush will have to try pretty fucking hard.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 01:50:56 pm by azaghal1981 »
احمد

killsaly

« Reply #997 on: February 19, 2013, 02:27:11 pm »
http://www.politico.com/gallery/2013/02/pro-con-best-quotes-about-drones/000809-011439.html?hp=r1

A few notable quotes from this top ten pro-con list:
?What I think is absolutely true is it?s not sufficient for citizens to just take my word for it that we?re doing the right thing. ? There has never been a drone used on an American citizen on American soil. We respect and have a whole bunch of safeguards in terms of how we conduct counterterrorism operations outside of the United States. The rules outside of the United States are going to be different than the rules inside the United States.? ? President Barack Obama, in a Google + hangout, Feb. 14.

?Since when is the intelligence agency supposed to be an air force of drones that goes around killing people? I believe that it has to be the Department of Defense.? ? Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), on ?Fox News Sunday,? Feb. 10.

?It just makes me uncomfortable that the president, whoever it is, is the prosecutor, the judge, the jury and the executioner, all rolled into one. So I?m not suggesting something that would slow down response. But where there is time to submit it to a third party, a court, in confidence, and get a judgment that, yes, there?s sufficient evidence, that feels to me like that?s, its not full compliance with the Fifth Amendment ? but some independent check on our executive is healthy for the system.? ? Sen. Angus King (I-Maine), on CNN?s ?State of the Union,? Feb. 10.

?Here you have something truly chilling. Here you have the United States government saying, we can kill you, American citizen. You have no constitutional right to a jury by your peers. You have no constitutional right even to probable cause or to due process. You have no right to a lawyer. You have no right to counsel. You have no right to anything. If we suspect you, just suspect you, without evidence, that you were thinking about committing an act against the United States of America, we can kill you.? ? MSNBC host Joe Scarborough, on ?Morning Joe,? Feb. 6.

?Do the United States and its people really want to tell those of us who live in the rest of the world that our lives are not of the same value as yours? That President Obama can sign off on a decision to kill us with less worry about judicial scrutiny than if the target is an American? Would your Supreme Court really want to tell humankind that we, like the slave Dred Scott in the 19th century, are not as human as you are? I cannot believe it. I used to say of apartheid that it dehumanized its perpetrators as much as, if not more than, its victims.? ?Archbishop Desmond Tutu, in a letter to the editor of the New York Times, Feb. 11.

?The president, a politician, Republican or Democrat, should never get to decide someone?s death by flipping through some flash cards and saying, ?You want to kill him? Yeah, let?s go ahead and kill him?.? ? Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), on CNN?s ?State Of The Union,? Feb. 10.

atomicfront

« Reply #998 on: February 19, 2013, 02:35:03 pm »
I guess the problem is this: you could send 100,000 US troops and look for the person of you could just use a drone to kill the enemy or our country.  I guess it is much more easy for the public to accept the second option and it is a lot cheaper.   65 million people were killed during world war 2.  In the big picture killing a few thousand by drone to prevent bigger wars is probably the better solution.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #999 on: February 19, 2013, 02:37:23 pm »
you do realize . . . that you misplace r's and f's, don't you?

azaghal1981

« Reply #1000 on: February 19, 2013, 03:11:30 pm »
Or you could, you know, try to deal with disagreements without resorting to blowing people and shit up?
Both predator drones and putting boots on the ground do nothing but keep an endless vicious cycle going by breeding more anger in places where it did not exist before.
These attacks have more than likely created more terrorists, if anything.

I guess the problem is this: you could send 100,000 US troops and look for the person of you could just use a drone to kill the enemy or our country.  I guess it is much more easy for the public to accept the second option and it is a lot cheaper.   65 million people were killed during world war 2.  In the big picture killing a few thousand by drone to prevent bigger wars is probably the better solution.
احمد

imbecile

« Reply #1001 on: February 19, 2013, 03:28:31 pm »
Uh oh.. someone has been watching Homeland.

azaghal1981

« Reply #1002 on: February 19, 2013, 03:37:03 pm »
I've never watched an episode of Homeland.
احمد

imbecile

« Reply #1003 on: February 19, 2013, 03:51:45 pm »
I've never watched an episode of Homeland.

Ha, I was only kidding.  I completely agree with you.  However, [Spoiler Alert] that very concept, as well as drones are pretty integral to the show, so I figured I'd let it rip.

atomicfront

« Reply #1004 on: February 19, 2013, 04:05:34 pm »
http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/18/us/texas-abortion-teen-lawsuit/index.html

She should have sang this at the hearing:

Papa don't preach, I'm in trouble deep
Papa don't preach, I've been losing sleep

Oh, I'm gonna keep my baby, ooh
Don't you stop loving me daddy
I know, I'm keeping my baby