Author Topic: Sonar is no more  (Read 14480 times)

notme

Re: Sonar is no more
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 02:20:33 pm »
sounds like goldenvoice in ca

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 02:33:50 pm »
Great! JAXX is within walking distance of my house.

Except JAXX is no longer there. It's now called Empire, with new owners, etc. :)
3MTA3

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 02:35:20 pm »
Good riddance. Crummy venue. Saw decent shows that could have been much better in another club. Bands didn't really enjoy performing there either.

I played there 3 times (All different bands) on the club side and enjoyed every time we played.  The first time was the best since it was still owned by Lonnie Fisher and had that club's shit together.

3MTA3

showlistdc

• http://www.showlistdc.com
    • Comprehensive DC-area concert calendar
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 03:07:27 pm »

Except JAXX is no longer there. It's now called Empire, with new owners, etc. :)

I thought that was common knowledge at this point!  For those who weren't aware, I wrote an article about Jay's sale of Jaxx to Outerloop last year.

James Ford

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 03:09:29 pm »
I'm willing to bet that 99% of people in the DC area don't know. Or care.

I thought that was common knowledge at this point!  For those who weren't aware, I wrote an article about Jay's sale of Jaxx to Outerloop last year.

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012, 03:30:54 pm »

Just like people stopped reading TBD when ABC/Channel 7 bought them out ;)
3MTA3

Got Haggis?

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 04:22:32 pm »
Sonars best years were definitely the Lonnie Fisher years.  I hated when they took out the lounge and put the 'talking head' there.  I will miss it though, since it is in walking distance of my place.

It sounded like nothing 'music related' will take its place - who knows

Sir HC

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 04:40:44 pm »
The Caton years were amazing.  Tiny club, huge djs spinning to tens of people.  Then they moved, kept most of the vibe, but that slowly went away.  I remember seeing Shrinebuilder there and the mixing board took a dump right before they went on.  That sucked.

Shellac there was awesome, Baltimore audiences are more "in the moment" and less reserved for shows like that.

Other shows there were in between, but some huge things in the club room will now be missed.

Unsanity

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2012, 05:12:07 pm »
I saw dozens of great shows there. Sometimes the place sucked but mostly I had a great time. That Jesus Lizard show was unforgettable.

atomicfront

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2012, 06:00:33 pm »
Show quality had gone way down in the last couple of years.  Best shows there were Beach House on the club stage and Regina Spektor on the main. 

showlistdc

• http://www.showlistdc.com
    • Comprehensive DC-area concert calendar
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2012, 06:06:01 pm »

DC-area is one thing.  But people who care enough about music to post on the 9:30 club's forum, that's where I get surprised.

azaghal1981

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2012, 07:29:47 pm »
He just likes being a dick for the sake of being a dick in case you have not noticed already. Don't mind him.

DC-area is one thing.  But people who care enough about music to post on the 9:30 club's forum, that's where I get surprised.

No mention of that marathon Swans show yet?

And yeah, Shellac were incredible.
احمد

James Ford

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2012, 07:44:28 pm »
To me, JAXX always seemed to cater to a niche audience. Speaking for myself, I never paid any attention to any news regarding the place. I'm sure (some) others would probably say the same thing.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2012, 08:18:08 pm »
Yeah, swans, Jesus lizard, shellac were all great recent shows.  Also Dan deacon / dat politics / black dice show was pretty great. And that deacon no age deer hunter craziness.

Unsanity

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2012, 10:57:45 pm »
Psychic TV was fairly recent. That show was great! Death Fest this year with Electric Wizard, Saint Vitus, Rwake, Church of Misery etc was insane.

Another recent one was Red Fang & The Sword. Red Fang SLAYED 'em!

The Deftones / Dillinger Escape Plan show that almost got shut down was awesome too.

The Shellac gig was pretty rad as well.

All those shows were a year or less ago. I'd say the music quality was as good as ever. For my tastes anyway. I will miss Sonar and Talking Head Club. I hate Ram's Head Live. Sidebar and Ottobar havn't been getting quality shows lately. Thank God for Golden West Cafe. They always have excellent shows.