Author Topic: Sonar is no more  (Read 14467 times)

showlistdc

• http://www.showlistdc.com
    • Comprehensive DC-area concert calendar
Re: Sonar is no more
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2012, 07:51:24 am »
Death Fest this year with Electric Wizard, Saint Vitus, Rwake, Church of Misery etc was insane.

well, DeathFest is put on by its own people, not by Sonar, and they've already announced that they've got 3 potential venues in Baltimore for next year.

K8teebug

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2012, 08:10:21 am »
Favorites were definitely Shellac and Jesus Lizard.  That Jesus Lizard show was one of the best I've ever seen.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2012, 10:51:29 am »
No big loss with Sonar going.  It has to be the second nastiest, filthiest, dirty, and all around worst venue I have been in (nation which used to be in DC tops that list and it closed as well).  I'm making no judgement on the owners and staff of the club, just the place itself sucked goats.
FUKIT

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2012, 01:43:01 pm »
No big loss with Sonar going.  It has to be the second nastiest, filthiest, dirty, and all around worst venue I have been in (nation which used to be in DC tops that list and it closed as well).  I'm making no judgement on the owners and staff of the club, just the place itself sucked goats.

Yep.  Saw the Mountain Goats there.  Venue sucked them/him.

Unsanity

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2012, 02:30:53 pm »
They should just have Death Fest at Merriweather. Hey Seth!?!

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2012, 04:30:22 pm »
Really? I think Ottobar is way fucking shitter than Sonar. It's no 930, but I didn't have a problem with the place at all. Saw some awesome shows there. I always thought the stage was a little weird and it was kind of hard to see if you couldn't get right directly in front of the stage. Had a ton of fun times. Thought the shows had dropped off and I definitely lost a lot of interest when they stopped doing Taxlo parties there.
‼‼?‼‼

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2012, 04:35:26 pm »
Love Ottobar but I agree that their schedule has run hot and cold for me of late.

Golden West is really nice, too.  Don't want to get all Birchmere about it but I really do like the food there.

atomicfront

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2012, 05:35:51 pm »
Love Ottobar but I agree that their schedule has run hot and cold for me of late.

Golden West is really nice, too.  Don't want to get all Birchmere about it but I really do like the food there.

Food at Golden West is awesome.  I had my first day with my fiancee' there. 

atomicfront

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2012, 05:37:26 pm »
Really? I think Ottobar is way fucking shitter than Sonar. It's no 930, but I didn't have a problem with the place at all. Saw some awesome shows there. I always thought the stage was a little weird and it was kind of hard to see if you couldn't get right directly in front of the stage. Had a ton of fun times. Thought the shows had dropped off and I definitely lost a lot of interest when they stopped doing Taxlo parties there.

I much prefer the Ottobar to the 930 club.  Much smaller place and cheaper beer.  The quality of shows hasn't been that good lately.  But bubuilt to spill is coming and i saw the cults recently. 

showlistdc

• http://www.showlistdc.com
    • Comprehensive DC-area concert calendar
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2012, 10:20:52 pm »
check plus on the food at Golden West.  Their vegan burrito is aces.  (Disappointed that when I went up there for the Whitehorse/Batillus show a few weeks back, their evening chef didn't show up, so they weren't serving food.  Argh!)

Unsanity

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2012, 12:02:36 am »
check plus on the food at Golden West.  Their vegan burrito is aces.  (Disappointed that when I went up there for the Whitehorse/Batillus show a few weeks back, their evening chef didn't show up, so they weren't serving food.  Argh!)

Not to mention Whitehorse played first! and I missed them ARGH!

Next time I'm at Golden West I am gonna have some food!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2012, 01:00:39 am »
Golden West is the new Birchmere?

dammit.
<sig>

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2012, 02:46:26 am »

Yep.  Saw the Mountain Goats there.  Venue sucked them/him.

LOL
FUKIT

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2012, 02:47:07 am »

I have never been to Ottobar so I can not speak to that comparison.
FUKIT

azaghal1981

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2012, 06:42:43 am »
Sometimes, the griminess of a venue like Sonar is fitting.

And yep, the food at Golden West is good. Still yet to see a show there.
احمد