Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 894231 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #2280 on: February 07, 2021, 03:29:42 pm »
Trent, Mariqueen, and Atticus unite with Mike Garson, Carlos Alomar, Gerry Leonard, Mark Plati, and Sterling Campbell (Bowie band alumni) to create a new version of David Bowie's Fashion 

https://youtu.be/klM9RlJfsVg

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
😐 🎶

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #2282 on: February 11, 2021, 12:45:46 pm »
The kids over at Metafilter had a little bit of fun with this.

Best comment: I realize the necessary scale length wouldn't permit it, but I am mildly disappointed the neck doesn't contain more...neck.

« Reply #2284 on: February 18, 2021, 07:59:58 am »
Nick cave...this guy always does the right thing
some nice prizes in here, hope it raises a lot

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds are raising funds to help support their live crew, whose livings have been heavily impacted by Covid-19.
https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/nctbs-crew-fundraiser
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2285 on: March 02, 2021, 02:24:40 pm »
Interesting development over at SoundCloud regarding how they are playing artist over there...

They are shifting from paying per stream to a how fans listen to artists music on SoundCloud

"Payouts are based on a fan’s overall listening time. The fans you see in your insights dashboard are the fans who are contributing to your royalties."

https://community.soundcloud.com/fanpoweredroyalties

This will be benefit artists at all levels not just the mega ones like the rest of the streaming services.

and when you get Geoff Barrow of Portishead on board with this, who is one of Spotify's loudest critics, this must be a significant shift.  Will be interesting to see this play out on Musician Twitter...

https://twitter.com/Portisheadinfo/status/1366780357362782209?s=20
T.Rex

« Reply #2286 on: March 02, 2021, 02:42:23 pm »
Interesting...does Soundcloud have the catalog that would be worth switching from Spotify?
Years back seemed like mostly amateur content, mixes and a lot of EDM
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2287 on: March 02, 2021, 02:58:37 pm »
Interesting...does Soundcloud have the catalog that would be worth switching from Spotify?
Years back seemed like mostly amateur content, mixes and a lot of EDM

They have had for awhile a GO+ option that is traditional mainstream releases streaming service like Spotify in addition to all the amateur content... I didn't dig deep but they have for example Arlo Park, Celeste, BlackPink, Ceelo Green, Belle & Sebastian, etc..
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2288 on: March 02, 2021, 03:12:28 pm »
I had to look it up as I was curious as to what Damon of Damon & Naomi and Galaxie 500 had to say, as he is also one of the top critics of how streaming services pays out and he's in favor of this move

https://twitter.com/dada_drummer/status/1366746806256873475?s=20

T.Rex

hutch

« Reply #2289 on: March 02, 2021, 03:19:35 pm »
I wish Damon spent 1% of the time he spends bitching about streaming making music

I mean nobody is going to make much money from Galaxie 500 or Damon and Naomi music

Some of these musicians who spend their life bitching about Spotify..sheesh.. can’t be healthy

David Lowery is another one.. just comes off poorly

I get it though.. it’s true they are being ripped off..   just saying all that energy spent complaining and tweeting... doesn’t strike me as great art

« Reply #2290 on: March 02, 2021, 03:24:12 pm »
Lowery has a lot more to lose than Damon

The thing is a lot of bands no one would ever buy any of the catalogs, but it comes up in algorithms and searches in the streaming sites
so I don't think 1 million people would pay $1 for Take the Skinheads Bowling, but they would sure stream it in a second
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2291 on: March 02, 2021, 03:28:48 pm »
so then you are waiting for what Anton Newcombe has to say about this then ;)  He does nothing but make music these days..
T.Rex

« Reply #2292 on: March 02, 2021, 05:44:29 pm »
so then you are waiting for what Anton Newcombe has to say about this then ;)  He does nothing but make music these days..
Felt like sharing this after reading an interview with Anton

You've got songs called My Bloody Underground, Blue Order/New Monday and Who Killed Sgt Pepper? Do you have conflicted feelings towards rock history?

I love My Bloody Valentine, I really do, but I wasn't thinking about them when I came up with those. But [New Order's] Bernard Sumner had a group called Bad Lieutenant and they put out a single that ripped off one of my songs, When Jokers Attack. It was based on a very unique 12-string riff. And I was like, "OK, this is fucking retarded. I'm going to scramble the name of your fucking band so that when people Google your name mine is going to come up, too, for all eternity."

Couldn't you have served a writ?

I'm more like, "Fuck those guys." I think it's funny. So does Peter Hook. I talk to him about it on Twitter. It's just retarded that they would do that. But then there is a tradition of English groups completely lifting other people's shit, whether it's Led Zeppelin or whoever. I like to think of my heroes as innovators. They didn't need to do that to me.
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2293 on: March 03, 2021, 11:29:39 am »
and now i'm beginning to see a little discussion of artists going the route of using Non-Fungible Token (NFT) to sell their wares... Richie Hawtin is testing the waters and Kings of Leon are going to use them as part of their next album release...  seems like a great idea but it  also seems like you'd have to be a really huge fan of the artist to get involved in that scheme

it's great technology is allowing artists to take back their creations, but bandcamp will suit my needs just fine...

T.Rex

« Reply #2294 on: March 03, 2021, 12:10:51 pm »
of artists going the route of using Non-Fungible Token (NFT) to sell their wares..

yikes...crypto for music...I'm not 100% sure how this works
but found this article about Grimes making $6mill selling some digital art
https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/1/22308075/grimes-nft-6-million-sales-nifty-gateway-warnymph

I can tell you this, they will definitely lose the hutch market if this is the route
slack