Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 891632 times)

hutch

Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #2340 on: May 04, 2021, 02:07:09 pm »
Also one has no idea how music rights values will go

In 1997 a baseball franchise was valued at what? 100 million? Today $2.2 billion?

How much would have Bob Dylan gotten for his catalog in 1997 before Time Out of Mind? He was washed up at 46...

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2341 on: May 04, 2021, 02:07:13 pm »
Not necessarily true... it could happen that the new RHCP album gets them a new generation of fans.. it’s very unlikely though...
Very unlikely they get a new generation of fans. Absolutely impossible that anything they put out at 58 tops their current creative peak as 58 is a larger number than 30.

I find it sad.. why shouldn’t Phoenix do it next? Or LCD Soundsystem?
I think if you view music rights as a commodity, there is a couple factors at play. Pretend music rights are a race horse. You have this race horse and it won two of its first three races and placed in its other one. Do you sell the race horse right now or do you hold on to it because it may be worth more down the road? What if you sell the race horse and then it wins the Kentucky Derby? These are the same heuristics in play with music rights.

If you think your music is going to remain super popular decades from now and induce the type of nostalgia that movie makers and advertisers want, then it might make sense to take the risk of holding onto that commodity. OTOH, most bands music rights do not continue to appreciate overtime compared to inflation, I would imagine. The RHCPs or U2s of the world whose (again, inflation-adjusted) valuation peak does not closely align with their creative peak are SUPER rare, if you just start listing bands off the top of your head and thinking about it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 02:09:07 pm by Julian, Adroit TASTEMAKER »
LVMH

« Reply #2342 on: May 04, 2021, 02:07:57 pm »
How much would have Bob Dylan gotten for his catalog in 1997 before Time Out of Mind? He was washed up at 46...
Dude. No one bought the Dylan catalogue because they want to put Time Out of Mind songs in a commercial. Be real.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #2343 on: May 04, 2021, 02:10:39 pm »
But what he has done since 1997 has appreciated his whole catalog

Nobody knew he would win the Nobel for literature

And actually didn’t a Victoria’s Secret ad feature “Things have changed”?

Make you feel my love is a pretty big song (atrocious I admit)

hutch

« Reply #2344 on: May 04, 2021, 02:11:21 pm »
Anyways I agree with most you say

Just sad

Everything and everyone is for sale

« Reply #2345 on: May 04, 2021, 02:13:15 pm »
But what he has done since 1997 has appreciated his whole catalog

Nobody knew he would win the Nobel for literature
Yeah, he's a super outlier. This is not the arc 99.999999% of bands music rights valuations go.
LVMH

« Reply #2346 on: May 04, 2021, 02:14:25 pm »
I would also suggest that absent me misunderstanding copyright and publishing law, there is a very hard cap on the value of these rights as, at some point, they will enter the public domain. The closer things get to that point, that value has to start trending down.
LVMH

« Reply #2347 on: May 04, 2021, 02:14:50 pm »
Did you buy that line from Manic Street Preachers?
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #2348 on: May 04, 2021, 02:16:06 pm »
Very true

For all we know music rights’values could plummet and the RHCP take their $140 million invest in cat coins and become the richest people in the world

hutch

« Reply #2349 on: May 04, 2021, 02:32:08 pm »
Did you buy that line from Manic Street Preachers?

Did not

A band I have meticulously avoided

evilizac

« Reply #2350 on: May 04, 2021, 02:49:00 pm »
Dude. No one bought the Dylan catalogue because they want to put Time Out of Mind songs in a commercial. Be real.
What? "Love Sick" was used by Victoria's Secret in a huge ad campaign back in the day. I still remember the creepy grandpa commercials.  "To Make You Feel My Love" is now pretty much Adele's song. What kind of trickle down revenue does that generate every time some American Idol hopeful releases a cover of her cover?
 Plus in movies I still vividly recall "Most of the Time" from Oh Mercy. I think the value of Dylan's later catalogue is underrated.
Dammit, totally missed that Hutch touched on all of this. Also, I actually had a Victoria's Secret "Love Sick" Dylan compilation that. . . my dad gave me. Great thanks anxiety, now I have to think about who he was shopping for then, as my parents' relationship crumbled.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 02:51:33 pm by evilizac »
WHAT?

« Reply #2351 on: May 04, 2021, 02:52:10 pm »
invest in cat coins
wait, is there a cat coin I can invest in?!
slack

hutch

« Reply #2352 on: May 04, 2021, 02:58:24 pm »
You would....

hutch

« Reply #2353 on: May 04, 2021, 03:05:52 pm »
All I will say about crypto currency is if you buy it call yourself a gambler or speculator and not an investor

Yada

« Reply #2354 on: May 04, 2021, 03:07:40 pm »
Anthony's pecs will never bounce like perfection as they did in the Under The Bridge video in 1991.