Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 889723 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #2325 on: April 15, 2021, 05:10:54 pm »
Here's a poppin' Aphex Twin cover for your Wednesday afternoon listening enjoyment:

https://youtu.be/1x_wNUmiFC4

^ NICE.  that drummer is a beast.

since we're on a techno-done-live kick: Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger - Daft Punk | talkbox + big band funk cover. and the vocal performance on this one is kinda bonkers: Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger | Daft Punk | Pomplamoose.

fun fact, both tracks feature the same dude on keys: Jack Conte, aka the founder and CEO of Patreon.
<sig>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2326 on: April 16, 2021, 07:57:04 am »
Found out they did a 20th anniversary re-issue for The Go's Whatcha Doin', but because Jack White was involved it came out on Third Man Records subscription service which means if I really want to hear this, I have to resort to tracking it down via fleabay, etc...  why can't they just put stuff like this up on Bandcamp, all i want to do is hear the blasted thing, not go through being gouged for some vinyl.

as a side note i believe White and Third Man Records are responsible for some of the pricing of vinyl these days... when the first Raconteurs album came a record store owner told me they were forced to carry the vinyl at a much high cost at the time
T.Rex

« Reply #2327 on: April 16, 2021, 11:28:22 pm »
slack

« Reply #2328 on: April 16, 2021, 11:43:08 pm »
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2329 on: April 28, 2021, 08:09:52 am »
Found that there is is not just one but three different Phil Collins Tribute acts out there calling themselves Still Collins... US, UK and Germany

and if you going to promote your bar band here's the way to do it

Still Collins USA EPK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5uabjVZNw0

it's also apparent all Still Collins bass players are required to use a Five String Bass.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 08:15:50 am by kosmo vinyl »
T.Rex

« Reply #2330 on: May 04, 2021, 12:08:47 pm »
RHCP going for cold hard cash

https://consequence.net/2021/05/red-hot-chili-peppers-selling-song-catalog-for-more-than-140-million

Got me wondering if I should add some Hipgnosis Songs Fund Limited (SONG.L) to my investment portfolio?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 12:12:58 pm by “why bother”-hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

hutch

« Reply #2331 on: May 04, 2021, 12:17:03 pm »
RHCP going for cold hard cash

https://consequence.net/2021/05/red-hot-chili-peppers-selling-song-catalog-for-more-than-140-million

Got me wondering if I should add some Hipgnosis Songs Fund Limited (SONG.L) to my investment portfolio?

So much for the “this is something musicians do when they get really old before they die to get their estate in order and spare their heirs hassle” line

U2 next? Radiohead!?

I think the earlier hipgnosis can get musicians to sell the better for both

We will be hearing RHCP songs targeting us in pharma ads until we die

RIP Yauch on ninth anniversary of his death.. thank goodness he had a stipulation in his will that prevents this sellout
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 12:25:13 pm by hutch »

hutch

« Reply #2332 on: May 04, 2021, 12:31:56 pm »
I mean I get it.. Bob Dylan is turning 80 and wants to cash out and get his estate in order.. he does have a lot of kids

Flea is 58!!!! And he wants someone else to control his songs in ads and shit? That’s sad and I am the first guy to stand for artists doing what they want to reap benefits from their work

It’s also kind of saying they accept they have peaked and aren’t going to add much to their legacy..they are saying their stock  is as high as it ever will be and it’s downhill from here
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 12:35:26 pm by hutch »

« Reply #2333 on: May 04, 2021, 12:38:47 pm »
It’s also kind of saying they accept they have peaked and aren’t going to add much to their legacy..they are saying their stock  is as high as it ever will be and it’s downhill from here
I mean they really have.  They can still tour and make a few mil every few years if they want too
slack

hutch

« Reply #2334 on: May 04, 2021, 12:41:25 pm »
Well that’s sad

Cashing out cause you are on your way out anyways ok

Cashing out cause you are just selling out

They are right now recording a new album with Frusciante back in band... guess they don’t have faith in themselves

Where does it end? Artists in their 20s who don’t see hits coming?

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2335 on: May 04, 2021, 01:17:17 pm »
Flea is 58!!!!

These two things go hand in hand. Every rock artist in history peaked by 35 (virtually all by 30, honestly) and went downhill after that.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #2336 on: May 04, 2021, 01:26:57 pm »
If RHCP came out with another great album they will add to their legacy and expand the value of their previous stuff.

People are living longer....we could have 30 more years of RHCP

I am not even a huge fan

But if we use this criteria every major artist should sell out NOW

hutch

« Reply #2337 on: May 04, 2021, 01:32:48 pm »
Or an artist could you know hire someone to help them exploit their catalog while ensuring it’s done tastefully... they could bet on themselves..they are still around and will be for a long time

They will get a steady flow of income every year unless something crazy happens (say a Gary Glitter)

The original idea of the play was “I am going to die in the next few years why not cash out and get that big lump sum and determine where it goes before I die.. why leave the hassle to my heirs...also maybe I have a little bit of time to enjoy it...I am old..can’t tour that much”

« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 01:42:20 pm by hutch »

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2338 on: May 04, 2021, 01:41:24 pm »
If RHCP came out with another great album they will add to their legacy and expand the value of their previous stuff.

People are living longer....we could have 30 more years of RHCP

I am not even a huge fan

But if we use this criteria every major artist should sell out NOW
I think we are talking about different things. The RHCP's creative peak -- a band I don't care for, just for the record -- was a long time ago. The music they make now is not as good, nor will resonate as much with people, as they music they made a long time ago. There is a zero percent chance they make music in the future that tops their previous high-water mark. This is not unique to the RHCP.

The value of their catalogue is higher today than it was in the year they put out their best music. This is for many reasons but primary among them the fact that their back catalogue remains popular several decades later speaks to its investability. It is more likely that people will continue to want to hear a 30-year-old RHCP track that remains popular today twenty years from now compared to a song from another artist that is popular but came out 3 months ago.

Had "selling your music rights" been a thing for the last thirty years, the RHCP would have been betting on themselves (successfully, in this case) for holding on to them for this long as there is a chance (and a significant one if you look at the history of rock music) that the right to their music's value would have decreased over time or peaked in close proximity to their creative peak if it did not have staying power, as most music does not. (Imagine the value of Chumbawumba's catalogue today vs its value in 1997, adjusted for inflation.)

If you take as gospel that paragraph #1 is true, then it serves to reason that Untitled 2022 RHCP LP is not going to materially move the needle on their publishing rights as it is (1) inferior output and (2) will not resonate as dramatically with people as the back catalogue.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 01:48:00 pm by Julian, Adroit TASTEMAKER »
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #2339 on: May 04, 2021, 01:51:59 pm »
Not necessarily true... it could happen that the new RHCP album gets them a new generation of fans.. it’s very unlikely though...

But it’s not as if not selling the catalog means they can’t continue to profit from it themselves...

Selling out just gets them the sum in lump instead of yearly or whatever.. and has other benefits.. “Hey I sold out and don’t control my songs being used to sell as per creme!”...tax issues too..I get that

But the point of cashing out when old is these people realize they may not be around to see the $ so they take the pile of cash before they go

Maybe it makes sense to sell out when 58... I find it sad.. why shouldn’t Phoenix do it next? Or LCD Soundsystem?

« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 01:53:59 pm by hutch »