Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 883644 times)

challenged

• Instagram
Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #2655 on: January 17, 2022, 09:12:35 pm »
in one of the beasties vids

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/beastie-boys/2004/930-club-washington-dc-3bdfac44.html

Was that a "surprise at the club" type thing? Can't believe I wasn't there or even recall it happening...

Was a fun but logistically challenging night. I think it was a radio station related promotion. I have the poster, some Beastie Boys dice, and a T shirt from that night.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2656 on: January 17, 2022, 10:36:44 pm »
Isn’t this the one where they were massively delayed (weather possibly?) and they started handing out pizza to the crowd?
LVMH

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #2657 on: January 17, 2022, 11:15:18 pm »
Isn’t this the one where they were massively delayed (weather possibly?) and they started handing out pizza to the crowd?

yes, thunderstorms in NYC screwed up their travel. pizza.

Yada

« Reply #2658 on: January 18, 2022, 12:06:32 am »

yes, thunderstorms in NYC screwed up their travel. pizza.

Ohh... heard about that but thought it was tied to Tibetan freedom festival

lily1

« Reply #2659 on: January 18, 2022, 10:29:52 am »
I saw David Byrne's American Utopia in NYC this weekend. I fucking loved it. I missed his show at Anthem in 2018 and prior to Covid getting tickets to it was quite a feat, and generally an expensive one. I finally won the ticket lottery they have (lost count how many times I entered between 2019 and now). I would have loved it if I paid $150. It was nice to feel jubilant.

If you feel comfortable travelling, I highly recommend. As an alternative, HBO offers a screening of the Spike Lee directed production (filmed pre Covid).  Move the furniture as you'll be dancing in your living room.

« Reply #2660 on: January 18, 2022, 11:11:41 am »
I saw David Byrne's American Utopia in NYC this weekend. I fucking loved it. I missed his show at Anthem in 2018 and prior to Covid getting tickets to it was quite a feat, and generally an expensive one. I finally won the ticket lottery they have (lost count how many times I entered between 2019 and now). I would have loved it if I paid $150. It was nice to feel jubilant.

If you feel comfortable travelling, I highly recommend. As an alternative, HBO offers a screening of the Spike Lee directed production (filmed pre Covid).  Move the furniture as you'll be dancing in your living room.
The show at The Anthem was one of the best concerts I ever went to. I'd love to go see it again.
LVMH

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2661 on: January 18, 2022, 11:52:01 am »
Adam Schlesinger, A Music Celebration is now on YouTube

watched this one when they streamed it last year and i cannot lie... when Mike Viola did "They Thing You Do" there were tears...

worth watching

https://youtu.be/8wvF9ZZAN1c
T.Rex

Yada

LVMH

« Reply #2664 on: January 18, 2022, 12:28:46 pm »
Can Confirm.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/i-hate-u2s-name-my-voice-and-most-of-the-songs-says-bono-hgh5rwjjb
Co-signed.
The Irish-born singer said in a podcast interview that he finds most of U2’s songs cringeworthy and switches the radio off when they are played because he does not like the sound of his own voice.
I can't believe we're all on the same page
I can't say I find them ALL cringeworthy tho
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2665 on: January 18, 2022, 04:15:14 pm »
Upon realizing that there is some funky funky flute driving War w/ Eric Burdon's "Spill The Wine", i took it as a sign to shore my Funky Flute playlist.  In the process of finishing this up, I stumble upon a playlist of over 150 funky flute tracks on Soundcloud, so I enhanced mine with additional tracks I was already familiar with, in part because Sp*ti#y auto adds tracks to any playlist under 15

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4XiYZ7fF4DoEjhmfS6tuuM?si=685a295bfcfe4d86
T.Rex

Space Freely

« Reply #2666 on: January 20, 2022, 10:19:47 am »

Thanks for the heads up on it being on HBO. I had this on my list of things to watch, but didn't realize it was streaming already.

Is there difficulty in getting tickets right now? There seem to be plenty available at face online. Or am I missing something.

I'd love to see it live, and we discussed it for a hot minute. Unless my wife insists on going to NYC, I don't think i have the energy or desire to do the drive in the dead of winter.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #2667 on: January 20, 2022, 10:22:48 am »

Thanks for the heads up on it being on HBO. I had this on my list of things to watch, but didn't realize it was streaming already.

Is there difficulty in getting tickets right now? There seem to be plenty available at face online. Or am I missing something.

I'd love to see it live, and we discussed it for a hot minute. Unless my wife insists on going to NYC, I don't think i have the energy or desire to do the drive in the dead of winter.

Pretty sure Vas will drive you all.

lily1

« Reply #2668 on: January 20, 2022, 12:49:45 pm »

The second level balcony was completely empty so tickets are readily available for this specific show whereas pre covid, and I think until omicron took over, that was not the case. It was an enthusiastic and appreciative crowd last week; albeit not a sold out one.

Of the 41 theatres within Broadway, I think just 19 are now open, down from a much higher number pre omicron. Shows either closed entirely or went on hiatus until the Spring. Some shows are still selling strongly though like Six and Hamilton but their peak pricing has decreased.  Others are not.

Slave Play wasn't sold out (but heavily sold) when I saw it last week and Girl from the North Country which I'm seeing Saturday has availability.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2669 on: January 20, 2022, 03:26:33 pm »
David Bowie’s estate sells his ‘entire’ songwriting catalogue to Warner Music

“These are not only extraordinary songs, but milestones that have changed the course of modern music forever,” Guy Moot, co-chair and chief executive of Warner Chappell, said in a news release. “Bowie’s vision and creative genius drove him to push the envelope, lyrically and musically — writing songs that challenged convention, changed the conversation, and have become part of the canon of global culture.”

An Expert Explains Why All Your Classic Rock Heroes Are Selling Their Catalogs

WaPo: Why artists like Bruce Springsteen, John Legend and Bob Dylan are suddenly selling their catalogues
<sig>