Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 895323 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #2625 on: December 30, 2021, 05:00:22 am »
have never got the adoration...even putting them on the same level as the beatles

definitely a "you had to be there at the time" kind of thing.  didn't age well.  at all.
<sig>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2626 on: December 30, 2021, 10:39:29 am »
reposting from my twitter, because that's how i roll..

Anyone remember the DC band Power Lloyd? I was trying to remember another David vs Goliath incident involving album cover art. I figured out it involved STPs No. 4 album, but was drawing a blank on the other band involved

But low and behold it’s in the Wikipedia article about the album and the similar art was of course Power Lloyd’s Election Day released a year earlier.  Links from the article to stories about the controversy remind of the era of the WCP forum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._4_(album)

https://washingtoncitypaper.com/article/270881/star-making-machinery/

and to save hatch from having to track down the artwork

T.Rex

« Reply #2627 on: December 30, 2021, 10:52:02 am »
and to save hatch from having to track down the artwork
much appreciated ;)
slack

vansmack

« Reply #2628 on: December 30, 2021, 10:40:22 pm »
The thought of a pioneering hip-hop artist in the Rock Hall of Fame so upsets him that, in the interview published on KNAC.com, Ted Nugent says it’s tantamount to urinating on the graves of rock’s original pioneers. “What a middle finger to the ‘real’ heroes of rock ‘n’ roll and rhythm and blues to put in those other people,” he says. “Grandmaster Flash? Really? Why don’t we go down to Chuck Berry’s grave and piss on it?”

Insisting it’s nothing personal, Nugent says,”I’m not angry that I’m not in there because I’m having so much fun that it’s stupid.” But, he asks, “Why isn’t a band like Triumph in there, but  Grandmaster Flash is? That’s just dishonest! Why are Patti Smith, ABBA and Madonna in the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame, but not Styx?  Are you kidding me?! You can only explain that is that the people who made those decisions are just plain rotten people! The Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame should genuflect to Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Howlin’ Wolf, Muddy Waters (and) the Funk Brothers… How dare you put Grandmaster Flash, ABBA and Madonna in that?”
27>34

Starsky

« Reply #2629 on: December 30, 2021, 11:55:12 pm »
So much stupidity

I think all the early rappers deserve to be in

Kool Herc
Sugarhill Gang
Kurtis Blow
Grandmaster Flash
Afrika Bambaata
Etc

Rock and roll isn’t a type of music….it’s just youth culture continually reinventing itself in music….it’s an attitude

Saying this doesn’t disrespect Chuck Berry at all…it actually makes him even more important by linking him to everything that has happened and is still happening; without realizing it the Nuge is limiting Chuck
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 12:08:51 am by Starsky »

« Reply #2630 on: January 01, 2022, 10:57:58 am »
The ACDC recommends 5 days of saluting those about to rock
-Jason narducy
slack

« Reply #2631 on: January 03, 2022, 09:36:03 am »
Just read all four of these...not a single mention of big star?!
slack

evilizac

« Reply #2632 on: January 03, 2022, 10:16:09 am »
I feel like that's borderline Dad Joke Thread content.
Hipster Dad Jokes.
WHAT?

Yada

« Reply #2633 on: January 03, 2022, 10:31:20 am »
I feel like that's borderline Dad Joke Thread content.
Hipster Dad Jokes.

Keanu Reeves would love it.

shemptiness

« Reply #2634 on: January 03, 2022, 06:56:40 pm »
David Bowie’s estate sells his ‘entire’ songwriting catalogue to Warner Music

“These are not only extraordinary songs, but milestones that have changed the course of modern music forever,” Guy Moot, co-chair and chief executive of Warner Chappell, said in a news release. “Bowie’s vision and creative genius drove him to push the envelope, lyrically and musically — writing songs that challenged convention, changed the conversation, and have become part of the canon of global culture.”

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2635 on: January 04, 2022, 03:18:26 am »
David Bowie’s estate sells his ‘entire’ songwriting catalogue to Warner Music

“These are not only extraordinary songs, but milestones that have changed the course of modern music forever,” Guy Moot, co-chair and chief executive of Warner Chappell, said in a news release. “Bowie’s vision and creative genius drove him to push the envelope, lyrically and musically — writing songs that challenged convention, changed the conversation, and have become part of the canon of global culture.”

An Expert Explains Why All Your Classic Rock Heroes Are Selling Their Catalogs
<sig>

Starsky

« Reply #2636 on: January 04, 2022, 05:58:46 am »
Bowie’s case is interesting cause if memory serves he securitized his songs way back in the 1990s via “Bowie bonds”….

Of course the difference with his peers is that in this case it’s his estate selling his songs but one has to think Bowie’s spirit is up there somewhere yelling “Geez Iman what took you so long!!!!”

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2637 on: January 05, 2022, 08:49:04 am »
Wet Let hype machine if full motion.. NPR commentator enthusiastically carrying on about them this morning on the radio

so Anthem for them mid 2023
T.Rex

Starsky

« Reply #2638 on: January 05, 2022, 09:20:03 am »
Pffft more like 2022!

Yada

« Reply #2639 on: January 05, 2022, 09:31:12 am »
Pffft more like 2022!

Summer variant will mess that up