Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 863567 times)

atomicfront

Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #150 on: August 08, 2013, 03:19:34 pm »
as long as there are things to argue about, there will be arguments.   

I'd much rather listen to a pristine digital file. 

Would you prefer a VHS tape to a DVD?  A cassette tape to a CD? 

People like to inject subjective experiences into the objective vinyl vs digital debate (ie memories of youth and the "ritual" of listening to vinyl). 

if you prefer it, good.  But it doesnt mean it is better. 

Did you read that article?

In terms of raw sound quality, what?s available today is provably higher-fidelity than vinyl, cassette, 8-track, reel-to-reel, wax cylinder, AM/FM radio, and just about any other consumer format ever invented. But we?re failing to tell that story.

This is an opinion.  I have mine he has his.  What difference does it make who is right? If I buy vinyl that is better for the industry than if I just downloaded MP3's for free.  There is no way I would ever buy a CD.  I would either download a file for free or buy the Album. 

And VHS quality is awful.  Beta was actually far superior.  VHS was not analog.  Movies were always samples of the action.  26 frames per second or whatever.  Blue Ray is superior quality.  If CD's sounded better to me I would use them. They don't to my ears. 

I am not going to come out with an argument that you should buy Vinyl.  Buy whatever you think is better.  But I don't see what logical reason there is to convince someone that digitial is better.   

killsaly

« Reply #151 on: August 08, 2013, 03:20:37 pm »
because the quality can be measured, that was the whole point of the article!
 ;D

I dont just download mp3s for free, i imagine you are making a general statement and hopefully not directing it at me!

I spend LOTS of money on the music industry per year.  Digital, Vinyl, tapes, CDs, concerts, posters, and T Shirts.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 03:22:19 pm by killsaly »

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #152 on: August 08, 2013, 03:44:00 pm »
So what's the deal with the 96k digital format, haven't had a chance to look into it.  It's something Toad The Wet Sprocket keep touting with their Kickstarter.  It's not a bandcamp providedformat.  And never seen it on offer before.
T.Rex

killsaly

« Reply #153 on: August 08, 2013, 03:47:12 pm »

« Reply #154 on: August 08, 2013, 03:49:23 pm »
So what's the deal with the 96k digital format, haven't had a chance to look into it.  It's something Toad The Wet Sprocket keep touting with their Kickstarter.  It's not a bandcamp providedformat.  And never seen it on offer before.
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blog/2012/05/17/new-format-news-dolby-truehd-advanced-96k-upsampling
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #155 on: August 08, 2013, 03:59:49 pm »

Myeah it actually<a href="https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=9624albums&bitrate=e192> goes up to 192 khz[/url] (no theoretical limit I suppose), but you tend to have to have special hardware for that to be meaningful, and I'm not sure I want Rod Stewart sounding that close to my ears.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 04:02:34 pm by grateful »

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #156 on: August 08, 2013, 04:11:53 pm »
Well I'm intrigued now, I'm guessing those files are huge and it may take some doing to get them to play...
T.Rex

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #157 on: August 08, 2013, 05:00:32 pm »
There has always been bullshit surrounding sound reproduction, and nowadays most of it is coming from the vinylistas. This recent op-ed at Digital Music News is a primo example. Check out this prose:

In closing, I just want to touch upon one more thing for artists considering investing in vinyl. There is another benefit, above and beyond the monetary, and that is the emotional factor.  From art school hipsters to old school misters, people are drawn to vinyl; drawn to it as something more than just an audio format. And yes, part of that is just image. Part of that is just people wanting to be "cool."  Part of that is the aura of elite intellectualism surrounding the appreciation of an antiquated commodity.
😐 🎶

atomicfront

« Reply #158 on: August 08, 2013, 05:00:37 pm »
because the quality can be measured, that was the whole point of the article!
 ;D

I dont just download mp3s for free, i imagine you are making a general statement and hopefully not directing it at me!

I spend LOTS of money on the music industry per year.  Digital, Vinyl, tapes, CDs, concerts, posters, and T Shirts.

No I was directing it to myself.  

Ardamus

• Ardamus
« Reply #159 on: August 09, 2013, 09:44:14 am »
This whole argument about what form of media is better is weak though. It all goes in circles anyway. Two forms of media people will not go back to are the following: for anything visual, laser discs, and for anything based on audio, 8-tracks. LOL. Everything else goes in cycles. People hate CDs but yet love tapes and vinyl all of a sudden again. Digital media is great until you don't back it up and lose it if your computer ever goes down. I really don't know to many people even into Blu-rays like that or even like DVDs too much anymore since its all about what you can stream/download online mostly. It all comes down to what you're really comfortable with having in your collection in whichever form you prefer.

evilizac

« Reply #160 on: August 09, 2013, 10:16:58 am »
What about how we consume music? I find it nearly impossible to go to an electronics store and find something reasonably priced that doesn't sound cheap. These are the places that most consumers get their music listening equipment. Great music in a good digital format will sound mediocre, at best, on inadequate stereo equipment. One of the good things about vinyl is that the distortion that creates all that "warmth" is very forgiving to less than stellar equipment.
Plus there is the fact that as music has become more ubiquitous we care less about quality over quantity. If I can hear a song I like playing faintly over the speaker system at the grocery store (hypothetical) and be satiated enough, why do I need a dedicated piece of equipment taking up space in my house that could be filled with other stuff. Not to mention that as we get older we no longer have the time to sit sit back and actually enjoy music. We sit in our cars, on mass transit and subject ourselves to inferior sound quality. . . Plus how are beats headphones being sold off like they are some entry level gift to sound quality. . ? For their price especially they are terrible (my brief opinion).   
WHAT?

atomicfront

« Reply #161 on: August 09, 2013, 11:13:23 am »
This whole argument about what form of media is better is weak though. It all goes in circles anyway. Two forms of media people will not go back to are the following: for anything visual, laser discs, and for anything based on audio, 8-tracks. LOL. Everything else goes in cycles. People hate CDs but yet love tapes and vinyl all of a sudden again. Digital media is great until you don't back it up and lose it if your computer ever goes down. I really don't know to many people even into Blu-rays like that or even like DVDs too much anymore since its all about what you can stream/download online mostly. It all comes down to what you're really comfortable with having in your collection in whichever form you prefer.

I like Blue-Rays.  I was just stating how I wish Blockbuster still existed.  You could easily browse movies and find stuff that you would never watch.  I think people are just so lazy these days.  Too lazy to get off their azz and go to the store an pick up a video or album.  To lazy to make themselves a healthy meal. 

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #162 on: August 09, 2013, 11:24:53 am »
Wait what?  Is this the foodicological banter thread?

atomicfront

« Reply #163 on: August 09, 2013, 11:27:06 am »

We should have one of them.  I love good food.  And I don't mean bacon.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #164 on: August 09, 2013, 12:47:54 pm »

We should have one of them.  I love good food.  And I don't mean bacon.

Gastronomy is the study of food and culture, with a particular focus on gourmet cuisine.

I'm no foodie so someone else will need to start a Gastronomical Banter thread.
😐 🎶