Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 884332 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #330 on: December 12, 2013, 04:45:06 pm »
Kanye West is the Frank Zappa of his generation.

Bowie --> Zappa --> Kanye?

« Reply #331 on: December 12, 2013, 05:01:59 pm »
Pat Boone --> Tiny Tim -->Kanye
slack

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #332 on: December 12, 2013, 05:09:39 pm »

Muhammed Ali + Terence Trent D'Arby + Dennis Rodman = Kanye West.

The deification (and defecation) of Mr. West is due to two things:

1.)  White, liberal guilt.  They like him because a few of his early album titles reference education and hey, education is the most important thing in the world.

2.)  Old-school rock critics (is there another KIND?) who want to turn a marginally talented rapper/producer into an egotistical Axl Rose-type rock star.  Like those two old guys in "Trading Places."

Brian

Relaxer

« Reply #333 on: December 12, 2013, 05:35:44 pm »
In my opinion, Kanye West has made more consistently great pop albums than anyone over the past 15 years. You can criticize his public persona, outburts, marriage, style, whatever, but his music is great. Every one of his albums is good and several of them are great, including his first and his most recent.
oword

Relaxer

« Reply #334 on: December 12, 2013, 05:40:17 pm »
And I would also argue that more prevalent than white people trying to justify liking him are white people who shit on his music because he doesn't fit into their myopic version of how a non-uppity negro is supposed to act. You're threatened by his power so you denigrate his art even though you know nothing about it.
oword

atomic

« Reply #335 on: December 12, 2013, 05:43:33 pm »
And I would also argue that more prevalent than white people trying to justify liking him are white people who shit on his music because he doesn't fit into their myopic version of how a non-uppity negro is supposed to act. You're threatened by his power so you denigrate his art even though you know nothing about it.

I think he sucks balls.  Everytime I hear his music on the radio I think who is that sucks so bad and then it turns out to be Kanye.  Dissing GW on national TV is what makes people like him.

Relaxer

« Reply #336 on: December 12, 2013, 05:45:32 pm »
Are there any black musicians that you like or do you just hate them all with equal vehemence?
oword

Yada

« Reply #337 on: December 12, 2013, 05:51:41 pm »
Are there any black musicians that you like or do you just hate them all with equal vehemence?

I bet atomic likes the Carolina Chocolate Drops since they dress all old timey and shit.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #338 on: December 12, 2013, 06:05:17 pm »

Ok.  First of all, that power is fading.  Quickly.  Have you seen how many tickets he's sold for his current tour?  Dates were cancelled because of slow ticket sales.  And if he has produced 15 years of "great pop" then why don't you hear any of it on the radio?  Oh, I guess all radio programmers are white and are "black"-listing him?  And far be it from ME to compare him to "classic" rap/soul artists but I have listened to EVERY ONE of his albums and I don't hear ANYTHING approaching Stevie Wonder...Nas....James Brown....Public Enemy....early Wu-Tang...Sly Stone...or whatever white artists you want me to compare him to: Steve Jobs....Ghandi.....Jesus Christ.....John Lennon...Pablo Picasso....

Brian

Relaxer

« Reply #339 on: December 12, 2013, 06:09:40 pm »
His power is not fading,  you only choose to depict as such because of your white racist fear. 'Yeezus' was a major hit, which spawned 'Black Skinhead'. He is playing an overwhelmingly praised tour in arenas, and the cancellations were due to logistics issues, not sales. Among the postponed dates were sold out shows in his hometown of Chicago. But you choose to make up facts to suit your racist ignorant premise. And then you trot out all the traditionally white-loved artists that make up the middle of the road. I'm kind of surprised you didn't say that you actually have black friends and that your father was 1/32 black.
oword

atomic

« Reply #340 on: December 12, 2013, 06:24:29 pm »

When have I ever said anything about another black musician? You like Kanye because he is black and he accused the president  of being a racist.  I get it.  I don't see the color of Kanye's music when hearing how badly it sucks. 

atomic

« Reply #341 on: December 12, 2013, 06:25:08 pm »
His power is not fading,  you only choose to depict as such because of your white racist fear. 'Yeezus' was a major hit, which spawned 'Black Skinhead'. He is playing an overwhelmingly praised tour in arenas, and the cancellations were due to logistics issues, not sales. Among the postponed dates were sold out shows in his hometown of Chicago. But you choose to make up facts to suit your racist ignorant premise. And then you trot out all the traditionally white-loved artists that make up the middle of the road. I'm kind of surprised you didn't say that you actually have black friends and that your father was 1/32 black.

Man Relaxer is racist. 

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #342 on: December 12, 2013, 06:42:31 pm »

"Logisitics issues!??!?!"   ::)  Do you also believe "tired and emotional?"

Whatever.  Time will tell.  The Wu-Tang Clan is "middle of the road?"  And Kanye WHO IMPREGNATED A KARDASHIAN is somehow "edgy" because he released a song called "Black Skinhead" which, you're absolutely right, was ALL OVER RADIO.  Sometime they stopped a Katy Perry song just to play "Black Skinhead" in the middle of it. 

Before I put my hood back on, let me tell you, you're going to look foolish in a couple months.  Limp Bizkit were popular once, too.  But at least they had some tunes.

Brian

Relaxer

« Reply #343 on: December 12, 2013, 06:49:14 pm »
Atomic, you are a very ignorant person who lashes out with insecurity because he knows the kind of man he is. It's pathetic and sad but fortunately you live in the middle of nowhere so civilized progressive people don't have to deal with your ways.

Brian, I don't know how Kanye West in any way threatens your love for Limp Bizkit but I'll leave that to you.  It doesn't really concern me because it's a proven fact that since his debut album, Kanye has been a consistent producer of highly acclaimed, very good music that has sold extremely well. In the pop music arena, there are very few people who have sustained a 10+ year career at the top.
oword

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #344 on: December 12, 2013, 07:20:35 pm »
lot of black people / white people talk on the board today

dupek . . . is jerking off.