Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 863211 times)

ggw

Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #420 on: January 30, 2014, 11:30:17 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_kCR5yQpY0

Really have you ever dated a woman or a gay man?  They love ABBA.  Shit I love ABBA.   Of course, I ,like normal people, like Billy Joel, too.   Glass Houses and the Stranger are masterpieces.
There's a difference between people owning the CD (which a lot of people do with regard to The Eagles) and having an effect on the culture (which as Brian mentions is a nebulous at best concept).

How do you think The Eagles "affected our culture"?

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
LVMH

ggw

« Reply #422 on: January 30, 2014, 11:31:35 am »
Tubb was no good after he split with Crockett.

Vince Gill was  quoted as saying the Eagles have influenced more people than Ernest Tubb, and therefore should join him in Country Music's Hall of Fame.
More than ERNEST TUBB? I revoke my argument. Jesus Christ, how could I have been so wrong.

atomic

« Reply #423 on: January 30, 2014, 11:34:07 am »
I am listening to "ABBA - The Essential Collection" right now and I am thinking you guys would be less uptight if you would listen to ABBA instead of that boring,dull music you usually listen to all the time.  Queens of the Stonge Age is not for fun people.  

« Reply #424 on: January 30, 2014, 11:59:51 am »
  Shit I love ABBA.    

Dang...don't like when we overlap on taste
usually it's easy as you have such horrible taste in just about everything

damn you ABBA for trying to bring the world together in harmony!
slack

atomic

« Reply #425 on: January 30, 2014, 12:04:57 pm »
I think each day we should pick a classic album and we can all listen to it together.  I will start today's selection of Billy Joel's "The Stranger". 

« Reply #426 on: January 30, 2014, 12:19:25 pm »
I will start today's selection of Billy Joel's "The Stranger". 
That's a fantastic record.
LVMH

« Reply #427 on: January 30, 2014, 12:23:44 pm »
Country music moved away from its distinct hillbilly roots and fan base solely because of the self-generated forward momentum of one Miss Taylor Swift, a ruthlessly efficient media mogul who has clawed her way to the top of a crumbling music industry infrastructure.
TS gets a whoopin
slack

« Reply #428 on: January 30, 2014, 12:28:46 pm »

I assume you're listening to the 30th Anniversary Deluxe Limited Edition
The limited deluxe edition inclueds a CD of a previously unreleased concert featuring Billy and his band, Live At Carnegie Hall 1977, recorded at the historic Manhattan venue on June 3, 1977, one month before the sessions for The Stranger album

it is pretty classic.  Truth be told I'm from Long Island, so it's in my blood.  Just it does sound a little dated, only because I've heard it from start to finish 1 million times
slack

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #429 on: January 30, 2014, 12:30:03 pm »
I think each day we should pick a classic album and we can all listen to it together.  I will start today's selection of Billy Joel's "The Stranger". 

I enjoy the dichotomy of having a "Woman...you're just amazing...without the make-up and the bj's....I truly love YOU" song ("Just the Way You Are", 1978's Record AND Song of the Year) AND a "You know....women are unpredictable, moody bitches most of the time...but you still let a mug like me have sex with you so I guess, you're sort of cool" song ("She's Always a Woman") on the SAME album.  Usually there's a gap of a couple of albums and a couple of bitter divorces between those two.

Brian

P.S.  I think most young hipsters hate the Eagles simply becuase of "The Big Lebowski".   A LOT of college educated men of a certain age view themselves as quasi-Lebowskis and therefore adopt every opinion he has.

« Reply #430 on: January 30, 2014, 12:30:58 pm »

I assume you're listening to the 30th Anniversary Deluxe Limited Edition
The limited deluxe edition inclueds a CD of a previously unreleased concert featuring Billy and his band, Live At Carnegie Hall 1977, recorded at the historic Manhattan venue on June 3, 1977, one month before the sessions for The Stranger album

it is pretty classic.  Truth be told I'm from Long Island, so it's in my blood.  Just it does sound a little dated, only because I've heard it from start to finish 1 million times
No, I just have the regular version. Not a big enough Billy Joel fan to go buy another copy. Scenes From An Italian Restaurant is a great composition.
LVMH

« Reply #431 on: January 30, 2014, 12:32:46 pm »
P.S.  I think most young hipsters hate the Eagles simply becuase of "The Big Lebowski".   A LOT of college educated men of a certain age view themselves as quasi-Lebowskis and therefore adopt every opinion he has.
That's probably my vote for "Most overrated movie of all time that doesn't have the words 'Star' and 'Wars' in the title." I like the Coen brothers but I never got why people were so hyped over this film. Its extremely "meh."
LVMH

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #432 on: January 30, 2014, 12:45:27 pm »
one word . . . pot.

bearman🐻

« Reply #433 on: January 30, 2014, 01:24:02 pm »
http://www.rhcp2014.com/

Parody of a new RHCP song. Since so many of us boardies love them. Very funny.

hutch

« Reply #434 on: January 30, 2014, 01:26:00 pm »
you haven't lived til you've heard the Stranger LP on the highly limited RL cut (Robert Ludwig)...