Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 863607 times)

Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #810 on: July 15, 2014, 12:33:59 pm »
Looks like the new album is done and back from the manufacturer ready to be sold
Saw a release date of 7/22

FREEMAN is Aaron Freeman's first album of original material since disbanding Ween and getting sober, but it's not a record mired in its maker's private struggles. It's a collection of gorgeous, subtly offbeat songs. The lush psych pop of "...Stallion"; the melancholy plea of "More Than the World"; the unflappable, Plastic Ono Band esque blues-rock of "Gimmie One More." FREEMAN distills the Aaron Freeman aesthetic equal parts wonder & malaise, frankness & mysticism, defiance & vulnerability to its headiest essence, proving that this man, known for so long by another name, is finally free.

Are you and hutch hitting this show up?

New record now streaming from SPIN Magazine: Freeman new album
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #811 on: July 16, 2014, 02:47:54 pm »
Adele announces new album.PBS fans, Lite FM stations and big box retailers are ecstatic.
T.Rex

« Reply #812 on: July 16, 2014, 04:17:45 pm »
Adele announces new album.PBS fans, Lite FM stations and big box retailers are ecstatic.
and my kids  ;D
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #813 on: July 17, 2014, 09:55:07 am »
and my kids  ;D

well the label is now denying that info, which means they didn't hear a hit single on it ;)
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #814 on: July 17, 2014, 10:15:07 am »
The Bombay Royale's new album "The Island Of Dr. Electrico is pretty much the album of the year for me.  Where else are you going to hear great moments of a Bollywood verses Spaghetti Western track or when a sitar kicks on top of a solid Curtis Mayfield funk groove.  So epic and fun at the same time.
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #815 on: July 17, 2014, 06:41:11 pm »
Always fun to find a cover with a really different take on a classic...

Merrymouth, which i guess one could call a Ocean Colour Scene side project head by the OSC lead singer, do  a piano driven with string quartet folk take on the Stone Roses classic "I Am The Resurrection.

https://soundcloud.com/proper-music-distribution/i-am-the-resurrection
T.Rex

vansmack

« Reply #816 on: July 17, 2014, 06:48:35 pm »
Adele announces new album.

I never should have dumped her.
27>34

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #817 on: July 17, 2014, 08:48:18 pm »
Adele announces new album.

I never should have dumped her.

Probably right. The new album's called "Smackie".
😐 🎶

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #818 on: July 22, 2014, 09:40:29 am »
Slowdive is having every shoegaze bands nightmare.  Their pedals and effects are on a different continent then they are.
T.Rex

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #819 on: July 26, 2014, 02:03:45 pm »
😐 🎶

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #820 on: July 29, 2014, 07:16:58 pm »
Quite possibly the one of the greatest review ever written

http://usa.djmag.com/content/tiesto-wasted-opportunity

Tiësto
A Town Called Paradise
PM: AM Recordings
Just shit

One of the difficult things about reviewing a Tiësto album ? apart from actually listening to it ? is that there are only so many ways to describe rubbish. However, on the Dutchman?s fifth album he?s made it slightly easier by delivering 14 identical piles of crap: lumpen trance that stomps on your will to live like candy ravers in furry boots, and breakdowns that feel like jumping off a cliff. Which it might seriously drive you to do. Then there are the singers bellowing ?empowering? lyrics Gwyneth Paltrow would consider trite. Speaking of whom, this is all so awful it makes Coldplay?s collaboration with Avicii sound inspired. Produced with apparent contempt for anyone?s ears or intelligence, it?s lowest common denominator bullshit of the most cynical kind. But the most galling thing is that like some evil alchemist Tiësto will somehow turn this trash into millions of dollars. Paul Clarke

What's so great about this review is how it can be used as a template for other records...

Arcade Fire
Reflektor
Just shit

One of the difficult things about reviewing an Arcade Fire album ? apart from actually listening to it ? is that there are only so many ways to describe rubbish.  However, on the Canadians fourth album they've made it slightly easier by delivering 13 identical piles of crap: lumpen indie rock that stomps on your will to live like Juggalos in a mosh pit, and percussion playing that sounds like lemmings diving off a cliff. Which it might seriously drive you to do. Then there are the singers bellowing ?empowering? lyrics Gwyneth Paltrow would consider trite. Speaking of whom, this is all so awful it makes The Doors?s collaboration with Skrillex sound inspired. Produced with apparent contempt for anyone?s ears or intelligence, it?s lowest common denominator bullshit of the most cynical kind. But the most galling thing is that like some evil alchemist Arcade Fire will somehow turn this trash into millions of dollars.
T.Rex

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #821 on: July 29, 2014, 08:15:07 pm »
i wonder, how many albums, that reviewer has released?

azaghal1981

« Reply #822 on: July 30, 2014, 01:17:02 am »
I always wonder why people ask this question upon encountering a negative review.
You don't have to be a musician in order to have an opinion about music.
i wonder, how many albums, that reviewer has released?
احمد

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #823 on: July 30, 2014, 07:50:46 am »
yes, but you should have, at least musical talent enough to put out music to be reviewed, if you are going to trash other peoples talent, as shit.

having an opinion . . . and putting out your opinion into the world to be accepted and deciphered as the truth, are two separate things.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 07:52:57 am by walkonby »

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #824 on: July 30, 2014, 10:59:44 am »
yes, but you should have, at least musical talent enough to put out music to be reviewed, if you are going to trash other peoples talent, as shit.

having an opinion . . . and putting out your opinion into the world to be accepted and deciphered as the truth, are two separate things.
That's idiotic. Absolutely nothing you said in your comma delimited rant is remotely reasonable.
LVMH